Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
sarmes

Re: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Post by sarmes » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 am

kkrazy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 pm
What amazes me is the randomly applied cost of having the Smartphone Pack installed!!
Some places charging and some don't. Could it be down to MY of owners' cars?!

I'd love that update but feel I'd be slapped with the charge to install it... Although at this very minute, I'm still dealing with the service/finance/sales department for not honouring an agreed 5 year service plan (as stated on my final vehicle purchase invoice), with them saying it's only 3 years.
The 3yr plan was only for the ford petrol engine on new vehicles, the Ingenium plan is a 5yr one, it amazes me how poorly educated some of the dealers are on their own products!
200ps Ingenium R-Sport MY19, Fuji White, Heated Front Screen, Parking pack, Space saver, 10way Seats, Lumbar support and Towbar

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:44 am

Seems the Smartphone Pack still isn't officially released to all dealerships... Or so I've been told today.

Either way, I'm here for the phase 4 update. If there is another later on, I'll see if I can get my hands on that, but it seems they are more reluctant to install updates unless you have a genuine issue with it.

I've been subject to static sounds at random points, when listening to anything. Even appears when reversing sensors beep.

... Can't stop looking at the matte black F-Type in front of me... God that looks good...
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness
First Jaguar :D

morini

Post by morini » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Can anybody who has recently taken delivery of a MY19 confirm if the car has the smartphone pack / android auto from the factory? Or will I need to request this is installed by the dealer before I pick it up? The dealer is giving me weekly updates on expected delivery, but unfortunately the updates are no more useful than "the car is still on track for late October delivery". Very vague, I guess to cover themselves if the car doesn't turn up.

Android auto is improtant for me as I actually use google maps in prefernce to the inbuilt satnav in our other car.
MY2019 Jaguar XE 250 R-Sport - Fuji white, Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian™ Sound System (380W), Parking Pack, Adaptive Dynamics

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

sarmes wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 am
kkrazy wrote:
What amazes me is the randomly applied cost of having the Smartphone Pack installed!!

I'd love that update but feel I'd be slapped with the charge to install it... Although at this very minute, I'm still dealing with the service/finance/sales department for not honouring an agreed 5 year service plan (as stated on my final vehicle purchase invoice), with them saying it's only 3 years.
The 3yr plan was only for the ford petrol engine on new vehicles, the Ingenium plan is a 5yr one, it amazes me how poorly educated some of the dealers are on their own products!
kkrazy, the OP of this post, has got an Ingenium engine, according to his signature.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

DaveP

Post by DaveP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:20 pm

morini wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 pm
Can anybody who has recently taken delivery of a MY19 confirm if the car has the smartphone pack / android auto from the factory? Or will I need to request this is installed by the dealer before I pick it up? The dealer is giving me weekly updates on expected delivery, but unfortunately the updates are no more useful than "the car is still on track for late October delivery". Very vague, I guess to cover themselves if the car doesn't turn up.

Android auto is improtant for me as I actually use google maps in prefernce to the inbuilt satnav in our other car.
I took delivery about 2 weeks ago and the car has 18c but no smartphone pack. I'll be chatting to the dealer when I get the chance although, to be honest, I quite like Jaguar's own interface. I'll probably leave the update until the car needs to go in for a snag (none yet) or a service.

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 pm

147daytona wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm
sarmes wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 am
kkrazy wrote:

kkrazy, the OP of this post, has got an Ingenium engine, according to his signature.
Ah thanks dude... Yea I believe MY18's is when the ingenium engines came in to play.
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 pm

So... An update on yesterdays' software update... phase 4 was installed, and the service manager told me the Smartphone Pack wasn't officially released so wouldn't be installed.

And guess what I see when I scroll through the home screens? Apple CarPlay. So I try it, and it works.

Question is, do the service department know what exactly is installed with the phase 4 update? Judging by what I've seen, it doesn't look like it hey?

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:07 pm

I was told by my dealer that it's coming in November and will be free. Ah well, November's close.

kkrazy

Post by kkrazy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:37 pm

That's interesting. We've all been told something different it seems... But again, if the Phase 4 update appears to have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, why is there a need for this Smartphone Pack? Especially when the Smartphone Pack can only be installed on top of Phase 4? Odd.

I must add though, having Apple CarPlay is very handy, although I think the InControl Apps integration of Spotify is better. CarPlay apps are so... Bland. Functionality wise you can do more though, as should be expected with CarPlay.

If anyone uses CarPlay, and you have Personal Hotspot turned on on your phone, you will notice your phone data will be used. I'm actually happy about that because I've 20GB allowance each month. Yes it works when you're not in CarPlay too, allowing you to get traffic updates and probably (i say probably because I didn't try it) online radio too. But thought I'd mention that in case you have warning messages of low data on your phone.

On a side note, I do love the attention to detail on something so small. If you have Phase 4 installed and are listening to Spotify (might work with CDs or MP3s however I can't confirm that... sorry) the horizontal line underneath the middle media playing tile heading, you will notice it change colour, showing the time played on the current song. Yes, it's small and you'd probably not notice, but I somehow did and quite liked it.
There might be more minor details to find, but that'll come when I spend more time with it.

ColdSpark

Post by ColdSpark » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:10 am

Hi All,

Joined up to post that having read your very helpful thoughts on this I took my MY16 XF Portfolio (UK) to the dealership yesterday, told them of some of the problems I'd been having with the ICTP and heavily hinted I wanted the latest software installed.

Picked her up this morning (not expecting CarPlay having been told by same dealership it wasn't available till Jan and wouldn't be applied retroactively... sigh) and lo and behold.... CarPlay!

Waze'd my way home which was great (though I didn't get audible alerts for speed cameras despite being on Alerts in sound - maybe a setting to find there) - everything else seemed fine too. Liked how Waze sort of uses the phone as a second screen showing either alerts on the road ahead or directions. Taken some pics, now to find a new phone holder as I now want my phone in portrait rather than landscape (suggestions welcome - feel free to send direct so as not to hijack - I like my phone inside it's case which is a wallet style - rules out a lot of cases though).

Note I was previously on version 20.13-1334 (which is as it was when I bought it)

Good luck all! Hope this is of some use to you.

IMG_7515.JPG

IMG_7514.JPG

IMG_7513.JPG

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”