Jaguar XE Forum banner

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

141K views 307 replies 92 participants last post by  nyogtha 
#1 ·
Look what I found today in an F-Pace SVR at Goodwood.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay!!!

Font Gadget Display device Electronic device Technology

It's coming very soon, for Pro only.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Speedometer Steering part

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I had Apple CarPlay in my previous car and I absolutely loved it. It was a very frictionless way to performing the two main tasks in a car; playing music and giving directions. Apple Maps in the UK aren't as good as Google Maps, but they were making progress. Both are years ahead of the mapping in my InControl Touch. I'm quite disappointed in the lack of reasonably priced updates and the inaccuracy of traffic conditions (jams and roadworks). Apple Maps was very proactive in suggesting an alternative and quicker route when necessary due to changing conditions on longer journeys. I never had any issue with music either, artwork was always correct and I could ask via voice command to play albums, playlists, a particular song, basically anything I wanted. Receiving text messages and being able to dictate a short reply was a handy, but gimmicky feature.

The main criticism against CarPlay was Apple's insistence that you use Apple Maps, but thankfully they've announced that iOS 12 (released in Autumn 18) will finally allow third-party mapping solutions. It just takes Google to create a CarPlay version of either Google Maps or Waze which they also own.

I'd say the feature I miss the most from CarPlay is navigating to somewhere in contacts. Unless I've missed it, I can't believe that ICT can't interrogate the Bluetooth Contacts listing and pull out an address to navigate to. I might be unfairly criticising Jaguar over something that isn't exposed by the Bluetooth contacts protocol or something that Apple (probably correctly) blocks for privacy reasons. Having to manually type a contact's address in to the Sat Nav is so last decade.

#5 ·
Has anyone managed to find out more information on this possibility?

I ask due to seeing another post regarding ICTP software version 4... With the interface looking different to whats seen in the OP.

#6 ·
According to this thread on Reddit, it will be available for retrofit in 2016+ vehicles with InControl Touch Pro: <REDDIT path="/r/Jaguar/comments/9bl3g3/" url="https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguar/comments/9bl3g3/android_auto_and_apple_car_play/"></REDDIT>

#8 ·
Oh this will be fun if it works with little to no issues... But that's wishful thinking hey?!

Am looking forward to this though, giving use owners a choice of what we can use... Whether Jaguar InControl Apps, Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

#11 ·
I'm not going to lie, i think this is perfect timing for them to introduce it. Inline with the massive ios12 updates to CarPlay. Having waze as your incar nav is priceless. Even tho the jag nav is pretty good, i always still have to have waze on anyway, the knowing where mobile speed cameras are is invaluable.

I had mine booked in for the phase 4 upgrade next week. Might cancel that until the CarPlay is available

#12 ·
Did anyone hear any more on this? It's cruising into mid-September? . I haven't received anything in the post/email about the possible upgrade. All makes me wonder.

Cheers, Ben

#13 ·
I asked a Jaguar dealership I take my car into for servicing etc
And they had no idea about it at all and were more inquisitive into me knowing about it and how I had access to vista

They said, since the notice mentioned mid sept they'll keep an eye out and get back in touch, otherwise call back around the 15th - so I'll do that and keep you guys updated

They did say they were surprised it could be retrofitted as it's a compete new part option on new build card

Anyone else had any success/news?

#14 ·
Hi,

I'm a newbie on here, but just ordered a new XE. Might I be expecting it to be delivered with android auto capability? I'll be chuffed to bits if it is! I've never been in any car with a better sat nav than available for free on most decent android smartphones. Car manufacturers should just ditch the in house stuff and support mirroring of phones, Cheaper in the log run and far more functional / up to date for the users.

I'm guessing this is wishful thinking on my part?

#15 ·
Applecarplay and Android is retro programmable for all cars from 2017 with the 10.5 inch centre display ordered specially at the time with In Control Touch Pro. This information may take time to trickle through to the retailerships.

#16 ·
Can you share the notice?

Does it say how and when from? - my local dealer was clueless and sceptical it could be retro'd

#17 ·
I was going to have it applied this week, however think I might get it done next week.

I currently have 3.5 update and asked the service centre if the entertainment enhancement pack can be applied without the Phase 4 update.

When I get it done, I'll take photos and give my initial impressions of both CarPlay and Auto, having both phones.

Looking forward to this update... As long as it's problem free... Mostly

#19 ·
I've just picked my car up after a week of being at the dealers for ICTpro issues (issues that have been on-going for over two years!)... In positive news I can confirm that ICTpro now has Apple Carplay! and it actually works!

I can now use all the apps AND send and receive text messages AND whatsapp messages all via voice control.

I can use Spotify AND Amazon music as well as a host of other apps that were not available through the Jaguar apps.

Fingers cross it's fixed all the system crashes and connectivity issues... time will tell.

#20 ·
How did you get it?
As my dealer has no clue how to retro fit the smartphone pack or the update :/
Think other people said the same above too ^

#21 ·
XET said:
I've just picked my car up after a week of being at the dealers for ICTpro issues (issues that have been on-going for over two years!)... In positive news I can confirm that ICTpro now has Apple Carplay! and it actually works!
What about Android Auto? Can I assume my new build will have this by default? Haven't even got a confirmed build date from the dealer yet.

#22 ·
I've had problems with the system from day 1. Particularly crashing and re-starting or phone connectivity issues.
I've had ALL the updates one by one (bit of a guinea pig) from 1 through to 4 and now this one with the phone pack update.
The car was with the dealer who knows the history and had requested the car be booked in to see if there was anything more they could do. During the week this update was released and they installed it. I have to say using Apple Carplay has brought lots of new and useful features to the car. I just hope it doesn't crash anymore!

#24 ·
What I would say is dont expect a new car to have it installed. Whilst I was at the dealer we tried a brand new XE out that had just been delivered. It had ICTpro 4 but not the phone pack installed. Maybe this will come in models produced in the factory from this week onwards?

#25 ·
XET said:

I can now use all the apps AND send and receive text messages AND whatsapp messages all via voice control.

I can use Spotify AND Amazon music as well as a host of other apps that were not available through the Jaguar apps.

Fingers cross it's fixed all the system crashes and connectivity issues... time will tell.
Wow! :eek:
- What ictp version number do you have? 4.0 (18b) or something else?
- Does CarPlay work wirelessly or only when connect with a wire?
- What phone/iOS version are you using?
- Do incontrol Apps still work too, or is the incontrol iOS app fighting with CarPlay now, since both want to show their logo on your phone? ;-)
- can you please post pictures?

Sorry for all the q's, but this is great news! &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

#26 ·
XET said:
What I would say is dont expect a new car to have it installed. Whilst I was at the dealer we tried a brand new XE out that had just been delivered. It had ICTpro 4 but not the phone pack installed. Maybe this will come in models produced in the factory from this week onwards?
Well, mine isn't going to be built until mid October earliest. I was told late October delivery before I ordered, but I'm beginning to doubt that is accurate from what I have been reading on here. I've asked for an estimated delivery date, but radio silence so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.