Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
BrendonSF

Re: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Post by BrendonSF » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:51 pm

Russ74 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:49 am
It should be £200

Mine has just been in for an update due to a few issues, when it's come back it has carplay and android auto on the screen but when I click on them it say to connect a suitable device to the USB.

When I connect my phone via usb it dose come on but only while connected by wire, and it all looks abit jenky lo res and not what I was expecting, I was expecting the screen to look like my phones home page with apps etc. Can I presume this is not what your paying the £200 for?

What phone are you using? Are you using the OEM usb cable that it came with? Once you connect the phone, you should be able to go into All Settings --> Connectivity and choose Apple or Android. You'll want to ensure that Android Auto or Carplay is the default on launch, and not InControl Apps.

Also, if you're using Android, ensure the app on your phone is up to date. If so, you can do a quick google search for instructions on enabling 1080p output via the developer menu.
'17 XE 3.0 R-Sport: Arctic White on Red | Technology Pack with ICT Pro | Adaptive Dynamics | HUD | 19" Venoms | Black Pack

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 pm

For the time being, Android auto and Apple Carplay are cable connection. There are a few new aftermarket head units that can run it wirelessly, but not in JLR products to my knowledge.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

BrendonSF

Post by BrendonSF » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 am

ChrisGB wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 pm
For the time being, Android auto and Apple Carplay are cable connection. There are a few new aftermarket head units that can run it wirelessly, but not in JLR products to my knowledge.
Fingers crossed that this changes with future updates! Wireless connections are driven over wi-fi, which ICT Pro has. One would think that the hardware foundation is there.
'17 XE 3.0 R-Sport: Arctic White on Red | Technology Pack with ICT Pro | Adaptive Dynamics | HUD | 19" Venoms | Black Pack

eski

Post by eski » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 am

Just got car back from maintenance with 19A update. No Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Dealer insists that only MY19 can have it.

I could pay some money for it, but nothing. Maybe some day as all features to Jag comes to here north little late. Could not even buy connect pro pack year ago. Now you can have it to I/E/F-Pace.
MY18 25t RWD R-Sport, Firenze Red, ICTP, allmost all the fun stuff.

Jamesm

Post by Jamesm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:14 pm

I had a strange experience getting an upgrade last week.
Garage was updating ICT Pro as part of the service due to a bug I had previously. When I dropped it off I asked about Android Auto / CarPlay and requested it be installed for free because of all the times I've had to come in for software updates.
They later came back to me telling me my car was too old for Android Auto / CarPlay (it was one of the first ICT Pro cars, registered April 2016, MY17). At this point I went to Jaguar to confirm this. I then rang the garage again and spoke to someone else who told me car was compatible, but no way Android Auto / CarPlay would be installed free of charge (quoted £290 I think). Decided I'd leave it because I don't need it that much.
Jaguar then came back to say the car too old to have Android Auto / CarPlay enabled.
Finally when I collected the car and drove off I realised it had Android Auto / CarPlay enabled (I think 19A but can't check at the moment). It doesn't seem like anyone knows what's going on!

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:25 pm

I have had an ongoing debate about the same issue with where I bought my car from new in March 2016. The upshot is that I would have to pay £360 for the software upgrade and CarPlay. When I mentioned some owners have had the upgrade for free the dealer didn’t believe me and said all JLR Farnell dealers uk wide would charge. He said early versions of CarPlay were installed but were limited function demo versions. I have ICTPro 18C installed which is compatible according to the dealer. The reason for the charge apparently is because Apple charge JLR so they are simply passing the charge on. I have decided it’s not worth the £360 upgrade or do those who have had the upgrade feel it’s worth it?
XE Prestige 2.0 (Auto) 200PS (Mar 2016)
Cold climate pack, Parking pack, TV, Bi-Xenon, 10 way adjustable seats, ICTP (380w),
Dark Sapphire

UKRob

Post by UKRob » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Is there anyway to get android auto on my XE 19 year model without visiting the dealer?
MY19 XE R-Sport 200 Caldera Red.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm

johnpaul wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:25 pm
I have had an ongoing debate about the same issue with where I bought my car from new in March 2016. The upshot is that I would have to pay £360 for the software upgrade and CarPlay. When I mentioned some owners have had the upgrade for free the dealer didn’t believe me and said all JLR Farnell dealers uk wide would charge. He said early versions of CarPlay were installed but were limited function demo versions. I have ICTPro 18C installed which is compatible according to the dealer. The reason for the charge apparently is because Apple charge JLR so they are simply passing the charge on. I have decided it’s not worth the £360 upgrade or do those who have had the upgrade feel it’s worth it?
That's my view, too. I've asked in this thread what the benefits of having Apple Car Play are. All that its adherents have been able to tell me is that I can use Apple maps, and play music. I'm happy with the Jaguar satnav, and can play the music I like from my iPod and iPhone, so what else is there? I'd rather put the money toward downloading more music which I can play in the car, in my home or on a plane.

BrendonSF

Post by BrendonSF » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm

UKRob wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm
Is there anyway to get android auto on my XE 19 year model without visiting the dealer?
ICTP Pro should include this already for 2019? If not, then no, there is no way to activate it yourself. The good news is that you own a Jaguar, so trips to the dealer should be quite regular.

Harry405

Post by Harry405 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Good morning. Does anybody know if Apple Carplay is available for the incontrol touch system? Or is it only for the pro?

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”