Jaguar XE Forum banner

Free data sim

15K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  wdig 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Three have just released a free data sim, with 200mb every month, which could be handy for the centre console sim and to get connected
Once you've used it up (if you do on traffic?) then you can also (but don't have to) top up day £5 and it'll charge 1p/MB which is decent

Link is https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

Just thought to share :)

#4 ·
I've been using mine no problem
Guess it'll be withdrawn to new/all if it costs too much to marketing

But probs just a promo of theirs to get more people in

#8 ·
I thought this sounded familiar, I have a Feel At Home sim, it's the same. I put mine in my satnav 3years ago with a £5 credit, I've only topped it in once with another tenner. If your not going to use gigs of data it's fantastic,

#12 ·
Bazzamf said:
j3bnl said:
ColinR said:
Just ordered one of these but not sure why? It just seemed like a good idea. What does it give me? :?
Your an IT manager and your asking that? :lol:
That's so funny. There's obviously no hope for us old codgers of understanding it then. :?
It will turn your car into a wifi hotspot.

#15 ·
Bazzamf said:
j3bnl said:
ColinR said:
Just ordered one of these but not sure why? It just seemed like a good idea. What does it give me? :?
Your an IT manager and your asking that? :lol:
That's so funny. There's obviously no hope for us old codgers of understanding it then. :?
I may be an IT Manager but I'm also an old codger. I leave the modern techy stuff to those that understand it. I hail back to the proper mainframe days :D

My job is more arguing with the board over budgets etc.

Anyway I'm retiring in a couple of months so I can hand over the reins to someone a bit more up to date.

#16 ·
When your at home do you auld duffers (as we call you up here) connect your mobile/tablets etc to your router at home?
If you do then imagine your Jag with this SIM card or a similar one as something the same.
It allows tablets and mobiles etc to connect to the net while on the move.

#17 ·
j3bnl said:
When your at home do you auld duffers (as we call you up here) connect your mobile/tablets etc to your router at home?
If you do then imagine your Jag with this SIM card or a similar one as something the same.
It allows tablets and mobiles etc to connect to the net while on the move.
Thank you for the answer j3bnl. It's now clear to me that I don't need it.

#18 ·
Likewise.
Even my 13 year old doesn't take up the offer of turning the hotspot on when on a long trip.
:eek:
I leave it with only "Mobile data" permanently switched on as it does give better traffic updates on the Pro and I like seeing the little "4G" symbol on the screen.
:D

#20 ·
Out of interest (only because I can't seem to find an answer to this question after a quick search) what happens if you've used all your data and don't top up? Will you still get 200MB the following month? Or would one need to top up?

I've always used my phone hotspot, but it gets a little annoying when it cannot automatically connect when you return to your car.

#22 ·
How much data does the car use per month? I know it will vary a lot if using the WiFi hotspot but my plan is to only use the in car sim for data needed by the car. I have unlimited data as part of my SIM only phone contract so will use that for the more data heavy things (streaming mucic from google play etc). If using android auto to run google maps I would assume the data needed for that would come via the phone

If the electronic brochure is correct MY 2019 cars come with a 500Mb/month data sim included free for first 3 years. Is that enough data?

#23 ·
morini said:
How much data does the car use per month? I know it will vary a lot if using the WiFi hotspot but my plan is to only use the in car sim for data needed by the car. I have unlimited data as part of my SIM only phone contract so will use that for the more data heavy things (streaming mucic from google play etc). If using android auto to run google maps I would assume the data needed for that would come via the phone

If the electronic brochure is correct MY 2019 cars come with a 500Mb/month data sim included free for first 3 years. Is that enough data?
On mine just using the mobile data I'm lucky to hit 100mb per month.
But if you do the streetview nav facility on the Pro or download stuff it will use a lot more.

I'm a bit perplexed about this offer but I think it's really aimed at people who use mobile data and downloads a lot on phones etc and they will make their money from top-ups.
For the XE usage is pretty low so for us it could be a real bargain.

#24 ·
PhilB said:
For the XE usage is pretty low so for us it could be a real bargain.
Yep, free is my kind of bargain :lol:

I would certainly go for one of these for sure (if the car didn't aready come with a sim included).

#25 ·
Having a noob moment... These 3 free data sims, does one need to register for it to work or just shove it in and watch it work?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.