USB music playback problem

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
147daytona

Re: USB music playback problem

Post by 147daytona » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm

What system do you have?

On my Pro system I can view by album, artist or track.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:09 pm

:| This was one of the earliest issues I remember reading on these Jaguar forums… didn’t matter if you had an XF, F-Type, whatever.
From what I was able to read from all those threads, the head unit (combination of music signal processor and a computer processor) has a glitch. Not all units that come from the factory (actually from a 3rd-party supplier who Jaguar trusted to provide the unit for the Jaguar cars) reveal a file-reading problem… but a significant proportion do.
Sometimes the glitch is something hardly worth insisting that the dealers try to fix: My standard InTouch unit used to play AAIF files during the first week that I had the car, then the moment I introduced AAIF and WAV files on the same USB, the car decided it preferred the taste of WAV files over AAIF files, and no longer even tries to read an AAIF file ever again. …it’s the only glitch I’ve found, so I can live with that, rather than insist some grease mechs start tearing open my heavenly Oyster-colored cabin.

As suggested by some posters here, sometimes (only sometimes) the glitch can be solved with a USB change.
But the “change” has to be a complete one.
Set up a new folder from scratch on your computer, give it an entirely new name (to alienate it from your previously used music folders. (When operating properly, your InTouch unit DOES recognize the USB you had in there last, and WILL automatically play the last file you were listening to before you shut-off… more proof that YOUR unit is definitely not operating as designed).
Buy an entirely different USB. The British lads seem to swear by a British maker called Kingston, which they claim are the only never-worry, problem-free USBs they’ve used in Jaguars (I have no idea why… but I bought 2.0 Kingstons, and I have had no issues, no matter how many times I remix and re-write over the same folders or file… so the lads must be spot on. Sounds like a smoking advert: I use nothin’ but Kingstons when I’m in my XE).

Don’t name the new USB using any former or previously used title. Choose a music format you like, and build all your songs using that same single format (no mixing WAV with AAIFs with Mp3 with etc).
Don’t load multiple folder on the USB. Keep it simple, prepped for an audio unit that has some screws loose.
Don’t load more than 20 music files on the USB before you test the USB and see if the car is accepting it and behaving better.

“Change” the USB means don’t do anything the way you used to. Then see if it works, and decide if you can live with the change (I have my yen for AAIF files, but I’ve settled for using WAVs to address my unit’s glitch).

…And if your USBs are getting hot, again that is suspiciously different to my experiences. My Kingstons are all metal housing, or mostly-metal housing… and my XE doesn’t heat them up above lukewarm.
So again, your unit is showing good symptoms of a misbehavior.

If the USB method fails (or has failed already, and no sense in trying it more)… I don’t even know if the dealer will believe or put a value on what you are telling them (like a groupie trying to explain that his headphones have lost 30% of the base frequency in the left earpiece)… nor do I suspect they even know how to attack a CPU problem, other than the famous (yawn) “software reboot”.
When your computer has a graphics-card defect, what good is a “software reboot” expected to do, right?
And from what we are seeing, Jaguar will only authorize a part to be removed and replaced under warranty, IF the dealer can confirm and agree with the owner that the part is not operating as designed.
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

spritely

Post by spritely » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 pm

147daytona wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm
What system do you have?

On my Pro system I can view by album, artist or track.

Hi, presume you are asking me - not sure which system I have. If it helps any it is a standard My19 180D R sport model - only extra is mettalic paint.

So not sure if I have the pro system? Still it seems rediculous that it just sees all the files as one long alphabetical list - so mixes up albums with similar tracks I.e Beethoven piano concerto etc for example. Dont know if it can be fixed or whether I am missing something, but have had no luck so far with separating the albums/tracks. I have the 10 inch screen if that means anything.

Mark
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am

If your USB plays fine in a laptop and has the music within the albums then it may be the way the car is set at the moment.
On mine it remembers that I want to look at albums when I go into the Media(USB) screen and press "find".
It could be that yours has always been set to just "music" so displays and plays the whole lot.
If you are in the USB screen and press "Find" then you will get icons at the bottom depending on what type of search you want.
Pressing the "album" button should take you to your album list which you can select and then play just that album.
The next time you use the USB it should remember this is how you want to find and play your music.
If not then just press the album button to bring up the album list.
You can also change the awkward(in my opinion) "carousel" display to find albums by pressing the settings icon in the USB screen to give you just stationary thumbnails.
Have a look at this vid from the XE instructional videos from about 4.30 in.

XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

spritely

Post by spritely » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

PhilB wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am
If your USB plays fine in a laptop and has the music within the albums then it may be the way the car is set at the moment.
On mine it remembers that I want to look at albums when I go into the Media(USB) screen and press "find".
It could be that yours has always been set to just "music" so displays and plays the whole lot.
If you are in the USB screen and press "Find" then you will get icons at the bottom depending on what type of search you want.
Pressing the "album" button should take you to your album list which you can select and then play just that album.
The next time you use the USB it should remember this is how you want to find and play your music.
If not then just press the album button to bring up the album list.
You can also change the awkward(in my opinion) "carousel" display to find albums by pressing the settings icon in the USB screen to give you just stationary thumbnails.
Have a look at this vid from the XE instructional videos from about 4.30 in.

Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for that post - this numpty has now discovered how to change the view to albums!!!! Technology on cars is wonderful - once you know how to use it. Lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll get my coat.
Thanks again
Mark
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Nevyn

Post by Nevyn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Apologies for the tardy reply, just catching up on some old posts...
BOBCDP wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am
posbaird you didn't say if it was the ICT Pro or the standard system. Mine is standard and a 32gb card and always starts up where it left off either on USB or radio.
Same here and with a 64gb stick.
BOBCDP wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am
The only thing I have never worked out is how USB decides what it's going to play and in what order it does it.
Don't know about Pro, but Std. ICT plays in 'FAT' order. FAT stands for File Allocation Table and is the index to the disk, stick etc. The FAT is not sorted in alphabetical order, but in the order that files were copied to the stick. So when you copy a new file, it gets added to the end of the FAT. If you look at the folder in Windows File Explorer you will see the files in alphabetical order because File Explorer sorts them for you.

One problem that sometimes occurs if you copy multiple files in Windows, say several album's worth, is it doesn't always copy all the files in alphabetical order...

You can find FAT sorting programs if you search, but they can be tedious to use if you want your own order instead of plain A-Z.
2016 180d Portfolio Auto. Ammonite Grey + Light Oyster. 19" Star 5 Twin-Spokes + lots of toys...
http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2888

mdem

Post by mdem » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 am

Hi,

I have the ICT Pro with the 10gb internal memory. Following some of the recommendations on this forum I have made some changes to the content of the USB drive and also what is loaded in the car memory (Media Player). I cleared the USB drive (128gb Sandisk) and renamed it. I then loaded only AAC files (.m4a extension) onto the USB drive and transferred these to the car memory. I then cleared the USB drive again, loaded only .mp3 files onto the USB drive and transferred these to the car memory. Finally, I cleared the USB drive again and then loaded only .m4a files in Apple Lossless format on that drive. This is around 1,200 songs taking up around 45gb. This is now plugged into the USB port in the centre cubby.

I then set the USB to shuffle all songs. On each restart of the car, the shuffle was off and the player began with the first song in it’s list. So, the same song every time regardless of where it was up to last time it was in use. Interestingly enough, now that I am using the car memory (Media Player) properly I have found that it behaves in exactly the same way as the USB drive, first song in the list and shuffle off on restart.

So the issue is not with the USB drive, it is a general issue with the playback logic. My suspicion is that it is related to the time taken to boot the Media Player/USB drive on start-up. On occasion, they are there almost instantaneous (well at least fairly quickly) and when this happens it does start paying from where it left off. Other times, it takes so long to start that the system switches over to the radio. When manually switched back to Media Player or USB drive it will start from the first song on the list and shuffle will be off. The third option is that it takes a while to start, but manages to get going with Media Player or USB drive (whichever was running when the car was last on) before defaulting to the radio. In this case it will start from the first song on the list and shuffle will be off.

The odd thing in this is why the start up time for the player is so variable. I’m sure that it behaved as expected (picking up where it left off very time) prior to getting the software upgrade. So it must be something that can be overcome with a software modification, although from what I have read in this forum, even with the current phase 4 release, this behaviour persists.
2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, sunroof, climate seats, ICT Pro.

cipher7

Post by cipher7 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Replying to pozbaird - you may have sorted this to your satisfaction by now, but here is my two penneth-worth:
Had no end of issues identical to yours when I had a MY2016 XE R-Sport and gave up in the end, and just used my mobile phone and Bluetooth as the source, although it could never read files without me using something like "Google Play Music" on my Galaxy S5. Now I have a brand new XE R-Sport and hit the same problems but through these forum pages I found a few tips and experimented a bit to see what worked. Here's what I did:

1. Used only Kingston or PNY flash drives (both are over 10 years old, so I guess that makes them USB 2.0, but I can't swear to it).
2. Kept to 4Gb drive size (read somewhere that larger drives can take longer to read the music files).
3. Formatted the drives as FAT32, not FAT (not with Quick Format...read somewhere that this can be an issue). I'm on Windows 7. The FAT32 advice came from these XE forum pages.
4. Chose the allocation size as 4096 bytes having found advice online elsewhere about the optimum size for FAT32 on a 4Gb flash drive when playing music files (MP3s). Other sites said that the allocation size didn't matter. I went with 4096 and it works fine.

I tried the above with an old generic 4Gb USB flash drive from Tesco and it just wasn't seen by the XE media software at all.

With the two USB flash drives which worked, it didn't seem to matter whether the tracks are in folders or in the Root directory of the USB flash drive - however, when selecting a track from a folder, the playback, when coming to the end of that folder, didn't then head to the next folder according to how the File Allocation Table ordered the files (you can read about how this works in someone else's reply to your question, which was very helpful) - but it just returned to the beginning of the same folder and started again. My personal preference for playback is random track selection so I have redone the Kingston drive with all tracks (hundreds of them) in the Root directory.

I'm not an expert in auto-audio or IT hardware and willingly bow to members with greater knowledge or experience.
On my 2nd 2.0d R-Sport. MY18 out of the box Sep.18. Caesium Blue. Black pack, 19" gloss venoms, heated s/whl & front w/scrn. Old MY16 mpg (69.8) is target to beat. Looking 4ward to Low Fric Start - ice on hills was problem in MY16 vehicle.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:55 pm

cipher7,
I have each album in a separate folder and these are also split between 2 other folders that I have named Albums and Compilation Albums. If I select random play, tracks are randomly chosen from anywhere on the drive, so you don't have to put all your tracks in the root directory of the drive to get random play to work properly.
But like you, if I play an entire album (folder), after the last track it then goes back to the first again, not to the next album (folder).

I think this is just how the Jaguar software works as when the same memory stick is played in my Wife's Clio and Son's Seat, the next album starts after the last track of the current album finishes.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

cipher7

Post by cipher7 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:40 pm

147daytona,
Many thanks for your feedback - I'll give the random play another go with folders...it could be pilot error on my part!
(I don't suppose it makes any difference you having the pro-version does it? I have the basic one.)
Cheers.
On my 2nd 2.0d R-Sport. MY18 out of the box Sep.18. Caesium Blue. Black pack, 19" gloss venoms, heated s/whl & front w/scrn. Old MY16 mpg (69.8) is target to beat. Looking 4ward to Low Fric Start - ice on hills was problem in MY16 vehicle.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”