Jaguar XE Forum banner

Meridian Poor after latest SW Update

13K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Questman 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am very new here and only a week into Jag ownership. I have a 67 plate 25t and absolutely love the drive but hate the stereo! On the test drive it sounded great but before delivery the dealer installed the latest 18c software including carplay etc. I have the ICTPro and wondered if the software has to be configured for Meridian? I noticed tracks sound compressed and volume drops when the music kicks in. Also when I stop the car there is a change in sound when the engine stops.

Has anyone had anything similar?

Thanks,
Dan

#3 ·
I have a similar issue since the 18B release was applied to my MY18 25T, the soundstage is less expansive as well so it just sounds like any other car....

My best guess (I've just retired after a lifetime in IT) is that the Meridian specific software has been left out of the code drop. This would explain the Subwoofer control altering the bass for all speakers and the loss of that Meridian "sound"

I've not found any way to make it sound any better as yet. I have reported it to the dealer and am waiting on the next big release to hopefully fix it (and the other very irritating issues with USB playback etc.)

I guess it needs more of us to make a fuss to get this sorted.

Cheers

#4 ·
She has the 825W system and the audio has been unaffected by the 18c update.

#5 ·
I have the B software and I have found that the sub seems lacking and when I change the sub setting it affects everything. I can't seem to get it to update to a C software though. It just says "no updates available"

#6 ·
@XE123, updating to the 18C software is a dealer only job.

#7 ·
This just happened to me. Car was at the dealer for service and the AHU software was updated (ICT non-pro). Sound is really muffled now and a volume of 10 sounds the same as volume of 5 before it went in. Speakers are really bad now.

Anyone have any idea how i can fix it?

#8 ·
jaggy22 said:
This just happened to me. Car was at the dealer for service and the AHU software was updated (ICT non-pro). Sound is really muffled now and a volume of 10 sounds the same as volume of 5 before it went in. Speakers are really bad now.

Anyone have any idea how i can fix it?
Not trying to state the obvious but check the sound settings first in case it has changed your settings on bass, midrange etc.
This seems to be an issue on the pro updates too as mentioned above and it has been suggested their update has binned the Meridian settings
I would have words with the dealer to make sure any updates in the past are still there on the system.
There was an update with the Meridien system a year or two ago which mucked it up and another had to be applied to bring it back to normal.

#9 ·
I've noted that the latest software update is actually 18D. My XE has 18B installed and ICT Pro, and I have had continuing issues with faulty USB playback, intermittent non-working radio reception on any band, vanishing side screen and others since new in August last year. Sound quality is OK though. The car is going into the dealership tomorrow for update to 18D in an attempt to fix these issues. Does anyone have experience of 18D? I'm now worried that it'll ruin the sound quality! You would have hoped that, after several years of complaints about the infotainment system, JLR would have fixed this by now.

#10 ·
Chrisjp - I think you may be the first to get 18D. It was supposed to be out last year. I'd be really interested to hear what it brings.
I have 18C installed which still has issues connecting Iphones to Jaguar apps, however it does have Apple CarPlay which works well (unless you start the car using the remote start feature. Then it doesn't work! Go figure!)

Keep us posted.

#11 ·
chrisjp said:
The car is going into the dealership tomorrow for update to 18D in an attempt to fix these issues. Does anyone have experience of 18D? I'm now worried that it'll ruin the sound quality! You would have hoped that, after several years of complaints about the infotainment system, JLR would have fixed this by now.
The F-Pace forums have a long running thread and it looks like couple have had 18D but good and bad so far.
Link takes you to the last couple of pages:
https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4002&start=440

#12 ·
Well, I've had the 18D software installed on my ICT-Pro-Meridian 380W system and the good news is that sound quality has not been affected - if anything it's slightly better. The bad news is that the erratic behaviour of the USB drive has not been improved. There has been a lot of comment about how after restarting the car the USB will go back to the first track instead of resuming the one that was playing when the car was turned off. That's irritating but liveable with. What isn't tolerable is my system's intermittent failure to read the USB drive at all. I've even experienced this while a track was playing - it would stop and the system revert to radio. If I then look at the Source screen the USB drive is there but greyed out and not accessible. I've tried a range of USB drives and have the same issue with all of them. The only thing that cures this is to stop the car, get out, lock it and leave it for about 10 mins. This forces the system to reboot and back the USB (usually) comes. This is pretty inconvenient in the middle of a journey! I guess it'll have to go back to the dealership, but with a 100 mile round trip there from the wilds of Cumbria I'm not relishing this again. Lloyd Jaguar of Carlisle treated me very well and supplied a nearly new F-Pace as a courtesy car, but kept my XE overnight while they upgraded the software. Shame it didn't do any good! I've never had a car before with such an erratic infotainment system. I love the XE's driving performance but the continuing infotainment issues are spoiling the overall experience.

#13 ·
Hi all. I have just had the 18D update put on my 380w ICTPro syatem and the sound has not changed. It is still really poor.
My guess is that he meridian labelled speakers are out of phase with the rest and so cancels the mid out. The techniician has tried another car with meridian and the update applied, and it is exactly the same. Could be that the latest cars are wired differently on the speakers?

#14 ·
The speakers cant be out of phase, there is a single amp (rear left of the boot, under the boot liner, it powers all speakers).

From what I am told, the sound files are stored on the amplifier and they are set dependent on the CCF parameters in the BCM.

So the dealer should be checking the amp for codes and updates

#16 ·
ACU?, there is only the IMC (Infotainment Master Controller - the bit that takes the legendary 18c SW) and the AAM (Audio Amplifier Module - the bit that has the audio tuning profiles)

#18 ·
Hi all. So I know have 18D installed which has not fixed the Meridian but added some new features and fixed a lot of issues with CD input etc. Not had any time with it yet to find eberything but there is a detailed explanation of the changes over 18C here:

https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4337

They have confirmed that JLR are working on the Meridian fix and I will be contacted when available.... I won't be holding my breath though.
I had a standard XE with basic audio as a loaner and it sounded way better than my current Meridian so hoping to get a fix soon!

G
#19 ·
Just a quick comment.

TopiX is being updated to include and list software versions available and currently installed versions. (Obviously currently installed software versions will only be available for cars being manufactured from this week and for any cars that have been to dealers for software updates from today). This is available from Vehicle Summary page (top right hand corner) and has started to display "IMC" software versions but I presume more will be added in due course.

#21 ·
Your confusing the software version with the part number.....19A is not yet released to Pathfinder

#22 ·
danbailey77 said:
So, no luck so far on a fix for my awful Meridian sound. Was told yesterday that the rollout of 18D has stopped since it was too full of bugs.
Noticed that on Topix the latest SW release is 19C - anyone got this installed yet?
Yes, apparently 18D has now been pulled in anticipation of 19A which is coming shortly.
Info from the F-Pace forums :
https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4002&start=520

#24 ·
Marks_DTM said:
18D was still available via pathfinder yesterday .....
I can only link to the screenshot of the letter from a senior manager in JLR.
Maybe it's wrong?
You seem to have greater knowledge of things than most of us mentioning things on "JLR systems" in other posts.
Do you have "inside" knowledge?

#25 ·
I was certainly told by Lancaster Reading that they had to stop any further updates until the next release, 19A.
Its probably still available but they shouldn'y use it for updates.

I don't think any update will fix my meridian issue anyway, I think that needs to be from the amplifier side.

Don't know how to explian it to the dealer. On the original SW teh sound was great. Then 18C ruined it and 18D is still the same. I am thinkjing it may be something to do with ICTPro only had the Meridan as standard in the past but with Phase 4 the base version in no-meridian and then you can upgrade to the 11 speaker or 18 speaker versions. Anyone else have any ideas what may be the issue?

#26 ·
If you have a look at Jaggy's post below, his dealer applied updates for the audio system only which fixed it for him.
It might be worth getting them to treat it as a separate issue and just apply audio software updates.
(It could even be the old K451 which fixed the Meridian in the past)

jaggy22 said:
Just sent my car in to another dealer after the first dealer screwed up the speakers. They found a software update for the Audio Control Unit which have got my speakers back to normal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.