Jaguar XE Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

words fail me!

15K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  Gojira 
#1 ·
So I had my 1 year old XE serviced on 11th December. I told them about the fact that the stop/start had not worked for 6 months.

Surprise, surprise they just said the battery needed charging - very sceptical considering the well versed problems with jaguar stop/start and batteries but I accepted this as at least the stop/start was working.

I used the car regularly since, including a returning day trip to Ely from London on Boxing Day. Not used since as I had the flu. Today I get in the car and the battery is completely dead!

Currently waiting jaguar technician to arrive and hopefully they carry new batteries rather than just jump starting having to book in with the cowboys at Jaguar who serviced the car.

I've had the car 1 year. It failed within the week I got it with a leaky air hose and now a battery fault.

This is the last Jaguar I will own - premium brand my arse!

#2 ·
Yes it does seem that modern batteries can just instantly fail completely - rather than gradually die as older batteries did, giving you some advance warning. Although to fail after just one year is unusual and suggests some sort of manufacturing fault. At least the car was a home when this failure occurred and didn't leave you stranded - it could just as well have happened when parked up during a journey as happened to me in a different (non Jaguar) car some time ago.
Since the boot on the XE can only be opened when there is a live battery this is a good reason not to keep in it any Li battery jump starter that you may carry for such emergencies!

#3 ·
Sounds awful and I would be livid also.

Although, I know when it was sorted again I'd be back in love with the car soon after!

I hate it when you get poor service as a customer and there's quite a few companies or branches of places I just won't give my business to anymore, but I do have to keep telling myself that a brand new car these days is quite a complex bit of kit and can't always be perfect so I am not going to let any niggles bother me too much. :|

#4 ·
I had a similar situation with the stop start gradually failing from 6 months, to being completely absent at 9 months irrespective of how far the car was driven (it does a high speed 80 mile round trip every week). At 12 months old, for the first service, the workshop kept the car overnight and the battery was replaced, which got the stop start working properly again. Now at three years old it has disappeared again, although probably due to not being driven as much, so I plugged it into a Ctek charger overnight and the stop/start is back. It seems to be very fussy about the battery being perfect, I read on here that new XE's now have a 95Ah battery in place of the 80Ah battery which mine has.

It's true that modern batteries seem to die suddenly. A while back, I got in my five year old Fiat 500 on a particularly cold morning, after having driven 200 miles that previous day, starting the engine to defrost the windows. After a couple of minutes, I tried to open the frosted drivers window and the engine stalled. Turned the ignition key......nothing.......no dash lights........no starter solenoid click.......no interior light.......completely dead......as if the battery was disconnected. It just needed a new battery.

#5 ·
its a great car but I put a reasonable amount of reliability over everything else. I 've had new fords, nissans and vauxhalls over the years and never had any problems in the first 3 years. I had the same stop/start problem with XF I had before this and now the XE has had two faults in the first year.

It was a toss up between this XE and a Skoda Superb 280PS - I think I made the wrong choice

#7 ·
XE123 - that's not really the point. They fit it, it should work.

Anyway jaguar technician arrived - confirmed battery dead, however he charged for 10 minutes with engine running and was at 625/800 and holding with engine running. So he couldn't give me new battery.
Now have to rebook into dealer for test to see what might have caused battery to drain over one week.

Anyone had something similar?

#8 ·
I bought a year old XE a few months ago. The stop/start never really worked but I didn't really bother as I don't like them anyway. After a few weeks the engine warning light came on, so I booked it in for service and also mentioned the stop/start, as I thought I may as well get it all working properly. The car was kept in overnight and they charged the battery fully, also sorting out a loose wire or whatever causing the fault light. The start/stop failed again almost straight away, and the fault light came on again shortly afterwards. It was booked in again and left for a couple days. A new battery was fitted and that has seemed to sort out the start/stop except when the car is very cold. Also some part was replaced to cure the fault light. After a couple if weeks the fault light started to reappear again intermittently. I have booked it in yet again but it cannot be looked at for almost 2 weeks. I said I hoped the the fault light issue doesn't cause a long term problem and I was told it should be alright. It is very frustrating as a couple of niggly issues are spoiling my enjoyment of a car I was looking forward to so much. It will be the 4th time the car is going in for service in the 4 months I have owned the car. (it went back after 1 day due to faulty air conditioning). I could understand if it was an old car or a cheap runabout, but it is a nearly new premium car (well over £40,000 when new) with 7000 miles on the clock when I bought it.

#9 ·
Brilliant car: the only problem I have had with mine is the s/s issue. Both the selling dealer and the local one I had it looked at checked the battery as OK, but I could see from their read outs that they had used the superseded check equipment previously mentioned on this forum.
Print out a copy of SSM73824, take it with you and ask what tester they had used to check the battery. If its a Midtronics EXP-1080 then produce your copy and ask for their comments.

#10 ·
BrianS, when your car is in your retailers for a battery check, get them to check the alternator as well.
My battery went flat while I was driving and it turned out the alternator had failed.
The car 'works' for a while after the alternator fails but eventually the battery goes flat.

#12 ·
wdig said:
Brilliant car: the only problem I have had with mine is the s/s issue. Both the selling dealer and the local one I had it looked at checked the battery as OK, but I could see from their read outs that they had used the superseded check equipment previously mentioned on this forum.
Print out a copy of SSM73824, take it with you and ask what tester they had used to check the battery. If its a Midtronics EXP-1080 then produce your copy and ask for their comments.
I have picked up on this, printout from 1080 was left in car, and I had assumed they would have read SSM73824, I shall be approaching them on subject on monday

#13 ·
Well that's 3 dealers out of 3 using the suspect checker - I wonder whether anyone else with s/s problems has noted which tester was used. I suppose the recommended updated one is expensive and they are loathe to buy - presuming they have read the SSM . Something of a shame as the XE is being reported as of poor reliability when I would think a significant number of reliability reports relate to the s/s not working.

#14 ·
After three attempts by the dealer to charge my existing 18 Month old battery, to get the s/s to work, they finally concluded it was naff and replaced it with one the same capacity as the original. That was three months ago and the s/s is still working as it should.

#16 ·
my car goes back to dealer on Wednesday evening for them to test - I asked what they would do and they said charge it overnight and then monitor for any draining. Does this sound right?

I pretty much know its not losing much charge overnight as when I've driven the next day the stop/start has still been working. Not sure what this is going to prove and seems like a waste of time.

#17 ·
BrianS said:
my car goes back to dealer on Wednesday evening for them to test - I asked what they would do and they said charge it overnight and then monitor for any draining. Does this sound right?

I pretty much know its not losing much charge overnight as when I've driven the next day the stop/start has still been working. Not sure what this is going to prove and seems like a waste of time.
The same happened to me. First time in they charged the battery overnight and installed some software, but it failed almost straight away, second time in they fitted a new battery. I assume they have to try cheaper fixes first.

#19 ·
ahostmadsen said:
My start/stop also stopped working -- to my utter delight! This is one of the things I dislike about European cars (it's not unique to Jaguar). Obviously, when I had the car at serviced I did not mention the start/stop issue.
I have owned now 5 cars with stop/start. 2 Ford Mondeo's, a Vauxhall Insignia, Astra and the XE and it has failed to work properly on ALL of the above. I don't want it. Don't use it and I really wouldn't get too upset about it not working as it's not a Jaguar specific issue. It is obvious that most manufacturers are also having similar failure rates.

#20 ·
Smoggysteve said:
ahostmadsen said:
My start/stop also stopped working -- to my utter delight! This is one of the things I dislike about European cars (it's not unique to Jaguar). Obviously, when I had the car at serviced I did not mention the start/stop issue.
I have owned now 5 cars with stop/start. 2 Ford Mondeo's, a Vauxhall Insignia, Astra and the XE and it has failed to work properly on ALL of the above. I don't want it. Don't use it and I really wouldn't get too upset about it not working as it's not a Jaguar specific issue. It is obvious that most manufacturers are also having similar failure rates.
Works every time on my snubnose Fiesta... :oops:

#23 ·
My S/S has also packed up. It worked fine when we first collected the car. I do regular long motorway journeys so it can't be short journeys. I actually quite like the feature as it means I get to hear the XES start up soundtrack again and again.

#24 ·
Since I have had my new car the blooming thing works every time - now I have to remember to switch it off. Didn't work on my old car so I presume a new battery must have been included with the 2019 model year.

G
#25 ·
Renesis said:
I actually quite like the feature as it means I get to hear the XES start up soundtrack again and again.
I'm pretty sure mine didn't do the roaring startup from a stop/start stop like it does from a cold start, it just coughed back to life.

Mine used to work 100% of the time, but I've unplugged it now so it's always off as it's just so annoying (and I always forgot to turn it off). If I wanted to save the trees/turtles/polar bears etc, I wouldn't have bought a 3L V6.

#26 ·
BrianS said:

Getting back to the original battery issue, have things now been resolved or any outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.