Heated seats

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Thorn

Heated seats

Post by Thorn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 pm

In my last car, a Volvo, I kept my heated seats on the lowest setting for the entire winter. They gave a lovely gentle heat, so soothing to the ageing back. In the XE, I can't stand having them on, even on the lowest setting, for more than 5 minutes. They're just too damned hot.
Does anyone know if they can be tamed?

PhilB

Re: Heated seats

Post by PhilB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:01 am

Thorn wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 pm
In the XE, I can't stand having them on, even on the lowest setting, for more than 5 minutes. They're just too damned hot.
Does anyone know if they can be tamed?
On mine I always use the lowest setting of the three.
What I find is that to start with they come on pretty hot but after about 5 minutes they cool down and maintain a nice gentle heat.
Bit like going straight to the boil before going down to a gentle simmer.

I would give it a try and see if yours are the same once you have got through the hot phase.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 am

[/quote]
On mine I always use the lowest setting of the three.
What I find is that to start with they come on pretty hot but after about 5 minutes they cool down and maintain a nice gentle heat.
Bit like going straight to the boil before going down to a gentle simmer.

I would give it a try and see if yours are the same once you have got through the hot phase.
[/quote]

I agree. On No. 3 you feel as if you are being cooked so I tend to have them on No.1, It does get hot at first but then cools down to something that is very pleasant. The only issue I have now is that I have the Oyster coloured seats and now have some marks on the seat and back cushion which could be caused by the heating elements. I have not tried cleaning them yet so hope that removes the marks.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Interesting Bazzamf. Please let us know how you get on.
I have the oyster leather also - surely it can't be burning the leather !
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

colonie

Post by colonie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 am

This! That‘s (sorry for the bad language) plain stupid in my opinion.
I‘ve never came across similar behavior on any car before.
The E-Pace i had when my XE was in for service would just warm up a little bit on stage 1. But the XE burns for like 5 minutes until it cools down. Like really...

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 am

colonie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 am
The E-Pace i had when my XE was in for service would just warm up a little bit on stage 1. But the XE burns for like 5 minutes until it cools down. Like really...
Love my heated seats but I can't get over why you have to turn them on at the highest setting, three, then drop them down to one. Surly it would have made sense to turn them on then increase the temperature as required.
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 am

Madatter wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 am
colonie wrote:
Love my heated seats but I can't get over why you have to turn them on at the highest setting, three, then drop them down to one. Surly it would have made sense to turn them on then increase the temperature as required.
The Jag way is how they've worked on my last three Vauxhalls :)

Press the button to fire them up, then when they are up to heat press again once or twice so that they hold the temperature.

Seems logical to me, or it might just be what I've got used to over the last two decades :lol:
Finally got round to ordering a Portfolio 300, in Caesium Blue. And I managed to sneak more toys than I expected past SWMBO :lol:

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 am

JiggyJag wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 pm
Interesting Bazzamf. Please let us know how you get on.
I have the oyster leather also - surely it can't be burning the leather !
Fortunately JiggyJag, I managed to clean these marks off the seat. The cloth I used for cleaning had a blue hue to it when I had finished, which is the same colour as my jeans. All I can assume is that the heat caused a sweaty bum making the blue dye of the jeans leach out where the heating elements are. I have noticed before that the seat side bolster nearest the door has a blue hue which I have cleaned twice before. One of the draw backs of Oyster seats and Levi jeans I guess.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am

Madatter wrote:
colonie wrote:
On my car Madatter, which has the basic screen arrangement with buttons around it. To turn the seat heater on I press the seat button below the screen which brings up a picture of the two front seats with arrows above and below them. I press the top button which then automatically selects the highest heat level No.3. To reduce the heat I then need to press the lower arrow to select levels 1 or 2.

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am

Bazzamf wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am
Madatter wrote:
colonie wrote:
On my car Madatter, which has the basic screen arrangement with buttons around it. To turn the seat heater on I press the seat button below the screen which brings up a picture of the two front seats with arrows above and below them. I press the top button which then automatically selects the highest heat level No.3. To reduce the heat I then need to press the lower arrow to select levels 1 or 2.
That's what I'm saying, 3 burns your bum so starting at 1 and turning it up if you need too seems more logical to me.
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”