Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Thorn

Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

Post by Thorn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am

My car will be a year old in a couple of weeks, and went for its first service on Friday. I was told they would check for any update to the software for my Pro system, and I asked about Apple CarPlay. I didn't get a clear answer about the CarPlay. A few days earlier, when booking the car in by phone, I was told that Carplay was a matter for the parts department, though this wasn't repeated on the day.
When I collected the car I was told that there was no update, and that they weren't yet able to upload Apple CarPlay.
Can anyone give a definitive answer on the present position re adding CarPlay /Android Auto to "older" cars. Is it available, and if so, is it something that should come with a standard update, or is it an extra?

bugsrunner

Re: Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

Post by bugsrunner » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Do you have ict or ictp?

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:33 pm

ICTP

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:51 pm

It should be available to you then, but won't show as a *required* software update when they check. It's something you need to ask for specifically. However, some dealerships won't update your car to the latest version if you're not having problems with the current one (it can take them a while and a few attempts) - so if you really want it, just look through the changelog for the newer versions, pick one of the issues it "fixes" and say you're having that issue ;)

After you've got the latest version, whether they enable the smartphone integration pack (i.e. Carplay and Andriod Auto) is another matter. Some people have been asked to pay for it.
Jaguar XE S [380PS] |[Garage space for a new toy] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS]

mdem

Post by mdem » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:29 pm

That’s what I did last in December. Came up with a fault that required a software update and had the update applied during the annual service. However, although it is the 18C version that enables CarPlay and AA, this has not been activated. It needed to go back in January for a door rattle and I asked them about CarPlay and AA. The reply was that I do not have the specifications for that. It sounds a bit odd to me as is it a MY17 with ICT Pro. I don’t know what other specifications it needs. I’ll have another go later in the year and before the factory warranty expires.
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

Rgc

Post by Rgc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 pm

When my XE portfolio with ICTP went in for it's first service in December at 2 years old (MY17 66 plate) , I asked for a niggling software fix and they upgraded me to 18c with the new interface and it came with Apple car play and Android Auto. Haven't used them as I don't really have music on my phone and I like the Jag Navigation.
XE 180D RWD Auto Portfolio in Dark Sapphire Blue Light Oyster Interior, Gloss Figured Ebony
(14 waySeatsMem&PwrFold, ColdClimPack, PwrPack, ICTPro, AdvParkAssPack, 40/20/40 HeatRearSeat, LKA, BSMonitor, PremMoodLight, PanRoof)
- Essex 20/12/2016

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”