Jaguar XE Forum banner

An odd problem with my satnav

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  147daytona 
#1 ·
I drove to Gatwick last week and back to Leeds today. I had the satnav guiding me so that I had notice of any traffic problems, not because I thought I might get lost on the M1 and M25.

On the southern part of the M1, and for a while on the northern stretch of the M25, as I approached slip roads the satnav directed me to go round the roundabout and take the second exit, or whichever exit would bring me back onto the M25. This direction was given without telling me to take the slip road off. It was as if the satnav was looking at the roads passing above or below the motorway.

Has anyone else found this?

#2 ·
Had my car two years now and what you describe happens quite regularly. Did it to me last Thursday coming back from Chester on the M6. First time I thought it was because there was a traffic delay. When I got to the island it was on to the M6 again. Its a characteristic of the car :lol:

Regards John

#3 ·
yep, and it even happens on my motorcycle Garmin 660 unit AND the BMW Navigator V unit. :D

#4 ·
Most annoying part with the satnav is the little shortcuts for no reason - similar to your excursion around a roundabout.
I suspect there is an issue with the speed setting on smaller roads in the maps and/or lack of compensation for slowness of junctions.

Really frustrating how many single track lanes it selects rather than 100m further on a major junction.

#5 ·
I think the problem is live traffic, if the app received a traffic jam ahead it will take you off at the next junction, when you start going up the sliproad the app re-routes including any traffic changes, if they've cleared it'll send you back down onto the motorway. I discovered this a couple off years ago using igo jlr satnav is based on igo. Turning off auto re-route will clear it.

#6 ·
Auto re-route is turned off but still does it.

Regards John

#7 ·
I concur with all the above. I've just run across to Exeter Airport and back, 70ish miles each way, and it tried umpteen times to take me off the main road and onto farm tracks, presumably to save a yard. On the way back I put the Tom-Tom up as well to see if it was any better. It was, but not by much as regards minor roads, but the car at one stage was showing more than half an hour later arrival time than TT, and only in the last mile and a half did it correct properly. Of course each time I followed TT's instruction the car had to recalculate, and at one stage the screen froze, though the instructions continued (so I could continue to ignore them). They are clever, just not yet clever enough! :evil:

#8 ·
Mine wanted to use some excessively narrow roads across Salisbury Plain today - the usual "alleged 60 limit" unclassified road that cuts off a corner of 50mph A-road, but you'd actually be lucky to do 40 along it...

Fortunately I've been riding and driving around that part of Wiltshire for over 40 years :shock:

It -did- do a good job of discouraging me from trying to go where the Salisbury 10-mile race was though, so it isn't all bad!

#9 ·
Now I'm really curious. I have twice more used the same route back to here and since Touch's argument with the Tom-Tom the other day. Touch now prescibes the sensible route. Does that mean that it can learn???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :

#11 ·
It will have that road down as nat.speed limit - 60mph ... :(

I have a good one where it does something similar just before a roundabout, to cut the corner off to the first exit down a single track lane which then pulls out onto the dual carriageway.

Bad maps and/or solved by exposing road speed adjustments to the end user.

#12 ·
RichardL said:
It will have that road down as nat.speed limit - 60mph ... :(

I have a good one where it does something similar just before a roundabout, to cut the corner off to the first exit down a single track lane which then pulls out onto the dual carriageway.

Bad maps and/or solved by exposing road speed adjustments to the end user.
Letting end-users adjust the speed -sounds- helpful - after all, what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

One thing I would be willing to bet - with user adjusted speeds, the lawyers would make even more money :mrgreen:

#13 ·
Mike Rometer said:
This is just one of the roads that the car Satnav has tried to take me down this week. I can see that part of the problem is that even though a very rough track it is named, with signage.

20190417_095203.jpg

:roll: :roll:
That looks like the A12 in Suffolk :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.