False alarm

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
wdig

False alarm

Post by wdig » Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Had the car 9 months - never heard the alarm. Last few days x3 messages from IC secure to say car under threat. Each time car fully locked in locked garage so ??
Tonight went off twice, once when I was in the garage but not touching the car, once when I was outside when alarm started at the exact moment when my LED PIR spotlight turned on. Looks to me like it is responding to external mains electricity switching - is this possible? if so with our urban wildlife it is likely to drive us and IC secure bonkers!

moose

Re: False alarm

Post by moose » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Probably not the mains circuit but the LED itself.

How old is the LED bulb ? If it is new then make sure it is CE marked etc. A lot of cheap LED bulbs can cause havoc with electronics due to erroneous signals being sent. We had a period when WiFi and broadband would continually drop and this was traced to a bad LED causing interference. If it is an old bulb trying changing it for a new one to see if the problem persists.

I have two LED pirs covering the area where my XE is parked and have not had an issue with the alarm in the last three years.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

wdig

Post by wdig » Mon May 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks Moose for that. I have just fitted a new LED flood but the first occurence a couple of days ago was with the old halogen PIR flood which it replaced.
I will have to get back to the vendor to check CE etc I did notice it didnt have one of the thingies round the supply lead you sometimes see on some items which is supposed to be an interference suppressor.

moose

Post by moose » Tue May 14, 2019 11:08 am

It shouldn’t need a suppressor if it is CE marked. There are some that have them externally placed as they are not present on the circuit board.

The interference on LEDs is normally due to the stepping transformer that changes the voltage.

Very strange a halogen light caused a problem.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Check the message center on the car as it should indicate cause of alarm activation.
Corris Grey 25D AWD R-Sport

Marks_DTM

Post by Marks_DTM » Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 pm

So did the alarm go off or did you get an Incontrol Secure Notification? (the two are different systems)
Drives - F-Pace R-Sport 180 and 2019MY XE Landmark 20T

wdig

Post by wdig » Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Thank you all for your interest.

In response, the first time we were messaged was on Saturday last at 2300 when I assumed it was a rogue message as we had heard nothing: this was when the previous spot (PIR halogen) was still in use although the PIR function had just gone (always on) hence the replacement. Subsequent alarms and messages occured on 2 occasions on Monday when I was 1) inside the garage after fitting the led and 2) just outside so I can confirm this was a genuine alarm - quite impressive as I had not heard it before with both horn blaring and siren. My wife in the house didn't hear either of these alarms, so I expect all the massages were appropriate.
Checking the info as advised above this says "volumetric sensor" which I presume is the internal movement detector. At all times the car has been double locked in a locked garage with keys in a tin in the house so I can see no genuine cause for the positive volumetric signal (no animals, sun on car etc).
Of significance - when observed the alarm has responded at the exact time of led switching and the led is within 2-3 metres of the car's antenna when in the garage.
I will see what transpires tonight and if there is a repeat I will disable the led, check that there is no further alarm and order a ferrite thingy to clamp on the lead to the led to see if that makes any difference.
Finally the supplier (Chinese via Birmingham) assures me it is CE compliant: the instructions state that but I do not remember noticing a stamp on the unit itself but will check next time I'm up the ladder. Of course he has never heard of such a thing before!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Mmmmm! Chinese supplier via Birmingham? How come they can supply items at the prices they do inc delivery when UK sourced bits cost up to 4x as much? Methinks that this is a way of getting around customs duty for fake goods.
Off topic now but possibly similar. The other day I was sat reading the paper and my wife was going through the post which included a magazine wrapped in plastic. The TV is always on standby. As she got to undo the mag she said that there was a lot of static on the plastic and at exactly the same time the TV came on. Obviously something to do with the static and this may have relevance to your lamp setting off the alarm in that something on a similar wavelength is setting it off. One other thing to check for is insects inside the car flying or crawling about. We seem to have had a lot of black fly and spiders around us and finding their way into the house through open windows. I have sprayed all my 80 + roses this week so it may be revenge of the blackfly.(and their green mates) :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

wdig

Post by wdig » Tue May 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Vespa - as far as origin of my led goes it wasn't particularly cheap, and I believe if you buy an led in this country whatever label it has on it I think you will find it was made in the PRC.
- rereading my previous post before anyone spots it I can confirm the alarm was not due to a massage, appropriate or not!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 15, 2019 8:32 am

wdig wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:51 pm
Vespa - as far as origin of my led goes it wasn't particularly cheap, and I believe if you buy an led in this country whatever label it has on it I think you will find it was made in the PRC.
- rereading my previous post before anyone spots it I can confirm the alarm was not due to a massage, appropriate or not!
I apologise if I have caused offence. My point was that there are many fakes being imported from China in all sorts of areas and one particular area is electronics. There have been incidents of phone chargers exploding or going on fire. Trading standards are aware of these problems but they still get sold. Most have the CE mark and are practicably untellable from genuine items. Once again I am sorry if I caused any offence as it was not intended.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”