Dash cam memory card degrading...

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
bjblyth

Dash cam memory card degrading...

Post by bjblyth » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Hi all,

I have installed a Garmin 55 dash cam with a Samsung Evo 128gb Micro SD card.

It had been hardwired in to my Mini for about 4 weeks with no issues. I may have not had it connected to the right fuse for parking mode... but it worked fine when driving, including long (3 hour) journeys without noticeably running hot. Not even did I notice it warm.

In the Jaguar it runs extremely hot all the time and obviously records EVERYTHING in park mode. It’s been in for a week and the camera now tells me the memory card is degrading and needs replacing soon!

I only got the cam and card at the start of May, surely I should expect longer out of the SD card - even though it is constantly re-writing. One reason I went for 128gb was to limit that as best I could. I think it must be something to do with the camera running so hot but just can’t figure it out - it’s hardwired using the official Garmin park mode cable, just as it was in my previous car.

Thoughts, ideas and other experiences welcomed!
Santorini Black XE R-Sport (MY17) | Automatic 2.0 Diesel 180ps | Meridian System | Privacy Glass | Jet Leather Interior | 18" 5030 Alloys | Owned since May 2019

BOBCDP

Re: Dash cam memory card degrading...

Post by BOBCDP » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:18 pm

I can only think of 3 possible causes. The cam could have developed a fault, the memory card is faulty but I don't think that would cause the cam to run hot or the cam is getting excessive voltage in which case the regulator could be the problem. You could try another memory card and see what happens but my first thought would be to check the voltage out of the regulator but I guess that may be difficult as it's probably sealed. If you bought the cam and regulator in May they will be under guarantee so you best bet maybe to return them.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

simpler

Post by simpler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am

Hi, I have a nextbase 212 wired into my F-Type and that gets warm/hot as well. It's been in for 2 years now.

I presume it must be something to do with the power it is drawing and seems completely normal. Electronics can get hot when in constant use.

The Samsung EVO SD card and Micro SD cards are very good quality and actually have a 10-year manufacturer backed guarantee and can survive seawater, extreme heat, MRI scanners etc. So I'm sure they should survive a slightly warm dashcam!

My suggestion is not to worry about the warm dashcam and get a replacement SD card from whoever you purchased it from or Samsung direct under warranty.

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 am

There are various opinions regarding cards for dash cams, but looking at various reviews/forums, the majority seem to suggest that 'ordinary' cards are unsuitable due to the continual write/over-write activity in a surveillance device - I've just ordered a Kingston 'Endurance' card for my new Viofo A129 (£23.30 for 128GB from Amazon) as they are are designed to cope with being over-written repeatedly - more expensive that an ordinary card, but if it lasts 5 -10 times as long, then worth it in the long run.....
2017 Portfolio 2.0D (180) AWD - Santorini Black

bjblyth

Post by bjblyth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks folks!

I’ve updated the camera software which I was 2 updates behind having installed from ‘out of the box’ and both of these updates supposedly improve the issue of degrading memory cards.

Also picked up a new 128gb Sandisk Extreme card so it can cope better with the dash cam activity.

Will see how it goes!
Santorini Black XE R-Sport (MY17) | Automatic 2.0 Diesel 180ps | Meridian System | Privacy Glass | Jet Leather Interior | 18" 5030 Alloys | Owned since May 2019

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:59 am

Also worth checking the authenticity of the SD card, there are plenty of counterfeit cards around.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

bjblyth

Post by bjblyth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:33 am

ChrisGB wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:59 am
Also worth checking the authenticity of the SD card, there are plenty of counterfeit cards around.
Cheers. Happy with authenticity of both of mine, purchased from Amazon (direct, not Amazon sellers) and came in full packaging.

Now working ok with latest Garmin software and the new card.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”