Apple Carplay project. Help/information request.

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
eski

Apple Carplay project. Help/information request.

Post by eski » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I have little project which goal is to have AC and AA enabled in car which do not support those functions from factory. Car has ICTP but it does not have Connect Pro and/or Incontrol apps. I have done bit research and found the hardware which is required to have incontrol apps functionality. Those parts are new media interface panel and new cable between media interface and IMC. So far so good.

Before I can release what I have done and instructions I request little bit help from one of the member who has media interface panel with HDMI interface. The low end media interface which has only two USB ports have different 12V feed (green connector):

PA200241.JPG

PA200237.JPG

Green connector with orange and black wire.

Media interface with HDMI has APIX cable to Infotainment Master Controller. It has different 12V feed.

PA200249.JPG

PA200250.JPG

Right next to 12V feed. Problem is that I do not know which pin is which.

I need little bit help with someone who can take picture behind media interface panel which show which one of the pins is 12V feed and which one is ground connection. It does not matter if you only have HDMI and/or HDMI and SIM slot. Cable configuration is the same.

Back panel is easy to remove. It just need to be pulled out. I did not have any broken parts.

PA200235.JPG

PA200239.JPG

Thank You.
MY18 25t RWD R-Sport, Firenze Red, ICTP, allmost all the fun stuff.

eski

Re: Apple Carplay project. Help/information request.

Post by eski » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Figured out correct cable order.

Capture.PNG

Now I have installed new media interface and it works

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

Next step is to try newest ICTP update to enable AC.

nyogtha

Post by nyogtha » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:29 am

Great work so far! Definitely following this and looking forward to more.
2016 Ultimate Black Jaguar XE 2.0D R-sport

eski

Post by eski » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Charging phone ja listening music thru usb works just fine. USB mass storage functions do not work, eg loading new maps or playing music from usb storage. Lets see if the new module requires reprogramming for the car.

blurp76

Post by blurp76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:49 am

Wow, cool, so happy i found this thread, i'm in the same situation with my 2017 XE, and since i've had the car i've been planning the same mod.
I've got some documentation i donwloaded from topix, and elecrtical service manual, if you need something

I got the Sim/Hdmi interface on Ebay and the Apix2 cable from some vendor. I found one apparently for the Range Rover Velar because i couldn't find the exact code for the XE. I'm sure the pinout is the same, i've checked topix electrical documentation for both XE and Velar, it's the same. The only thing i'm not sure is the length. Few questions:

Any chance you can let me know the length of your cable?

How did you connect the power pins to the apix connector? I mean the 12V originally going in the green connector.

So did you actually connect the Interface to the IMC? What's working and what not? Did you try inserting a sim card?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing extra about hardware, it's only something in the CCF but i couldnt find anything specific on how to enable that.

Also:
I tried installing Pathfinder and SDD on a virtual machine, i actually got the image of the software update for the IMC, it's possible to unzip it and mount the partitions as virtual disks. Inside it's possible to find some interesting info, like some SSH passwords or rpm packages of the smartphone pack
There's one black apix port on the IMC with is undocumented, I suspect that is some kind of diagnostics ethernet port. Maybe it's possible to connect through it and modify it without going thorough pathfinder/ssd.

eski

Post by eski » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Original cable number is T4N20692 and it is about 3 meters long.

PA200247.JPG

power connections goes like this:

IMG_3618.JPG

The pins are completely different so I bought new smaller pins and soldered those to cable.

I did connect it to IMC and it partially works. USB mounting do not work, no map updates or usb music playback. From CCF it says that I have low line UIP, so CCF change must be done. I have found the guy who can do it. CCF change for MY17 could be done with SDD, but I have MY18 and it is completely different thing.

I don't have sim version as there is no point for that as I do not have TCU and even I got the TCU it could only connect to jaguar services and as they know I do not have connect pro package it is slim chance to work.

I just got ICTP update to latest so now I have SOTA.
One IMC port is diagnostics: https://www.ovalnews.com/2017/09/incontrol-touch-pro-hardware-internals-infotainment-master-controller.html
How did you get the IMC software update. I'd like dig around that image.

blurp76

Post by blurp76 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks for the answer.
When i'm home i'll check the cable length, but i have a feeling it is right
The pins are completely different so I bought new smaller pins and soldered those to cable.

I did connect it to IMC and it partially works. USB mounting do not work, no map updates or usb music playback. From CCF it says that I have low line UIP, so CCF change must be done. I have found the guy who can do it. CCF change for MY17 could be done with SDD, but I have MY18 and it is completely different thing.
My model is MY17, can you get me in touch with somebody who could have some info on how to do this job?
I don't have sim version as there is no point for that as I do not have TCU and even I got the TCU it could only connect to jaguar services and as they know I do not have connect pro package it is slim chance to work.
Are you really sure you need some additional hardware? Even if I don't have connectpro package some Sim card must be fit in my car, because I can check the position of the car on my phone. I always had the feeling that the only hardware difference was the UIP and the Apix cable. Moreover, without internet connection how could Android Auto work? Through cell phone internet?
I just got ICTP update to latest so now I have SOTA.
How can you get SOTA if you don't have internet connection in the car? I got the H251 recall on topix, so i'm going to schedule an update as well, but the dealer told me i won't be able to have SOTA; also i think a part from the update there's something that must be manually activated by the dealer to have SOTA
One IMC port is diagnostics: https://www.ovalnews.com/2017/09/incontrol-touch-pro-hardware-internals-infotainment-master-controller.html
I'm pretty sure this port is ethernet. On the board there is an ethernet coupler chip right next to the black port.

How did you get the IMC software update. I'd like dig around that image.
It get downloaded automatically by SDD, when it loads the NGI PhaseXX updates. I must have it on a virtual machine at home. I can dig it if you want to mess with it.

eski

Post by eski » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:44 pm

blurp76 wrote: My model is MY17, can you get me in touch with somebody who could have some info on how to do this job?
You can change CCF using SoftwareDownload.htm which can be found from SDD. Just open it with internet explorer. For change you need to have correct cable and no virtual machine between cable and software. You need battery backup unit before you can code as coding can take time and basic battery support won't be enought. Car needs over 30Amps for coding.
blurp76 wrote: Are you really sure you need some additional hardware? Even if I don't have connectpro package some Sim card must be fit in my car, because I can check the position of the car on my phone. I always had the feeling that the only hardware difference was the UIP and the Apix cable. Moreover, without internet connection how could Android Auto work? Through cell phone internet?
Ah. You have TCU but do not have connect pro package. Then it should work to connect internet with sim. I am not sure if you need different TCU as there are different models.
How can you get SOTA if you don't have internet connection in the car? I got the H251 recall on topix, so i'm going to schedule an update as well, but the dealer told me i won't be able to have SOTA; also i think a part from the update there's something that must be manually activated by the dealer to have SOTA
After software S19B_19.35.5-418001 they enabled the internal WIFI module of the IMC and made it able to connect wifi for software upgrades. The car BT module is basic intel bt/wifi module. Wifi just happen to be disable for earlier software versions for cars without connect package. Just get the update and tell dealer to enable sota.
I'm pretty sure this port is ethernet. On the board there is an ethernet coupler chip right next to the black port.
Propably.
It get downloaded automatically by SDD, when it loads the NGI PhaseXX updates. I must have it on a virtual machine at home. I can dig it if you want to mess with it.
Ok. I need to check my SDD/Pathfinder laptop. Can you tell me the folder where it is saved?

blurp76

Post by blurp76 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Ok this is location of the update files on my setup

C:\Program Files (x86)\AVL_DiTEST\Pathfinder\data\Diagnosis\flash\LX73-19C204-BA

<sw_version>S19A_19.11.4-330884</sw_version>
<partnumber_imc>LX73-19C204-BA</partnumber_imc>
<partnumber_isc>LX73-11E013-BA</partnumber_isc>

There are several Pxx.img.gz you can gunzip and mount -o loop on a linux system.

In the
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVL_DiTEST\Pathfinder\data\Diagnosis\flash subfolders there is a whole lot of .rpm packages (can be extracted with 7zip) with interesting stuff like for example:

Code: Select all

NGI-UIP-Controller_KC21-26.0-1300.72.1.i586.rpm
which contains this file:

{
  "UIPM":
  [
    { "Version":"21.0" },
    {
      "VALIDITY":
      [
        { "CCFVAL23075": [ "0x00" , "0x0F" ] },
        { "CCFVAL23095": [ "0x00" , "0x0F" ] },
	{ "CCFVAL23107": [ "0x00" , "0x0F" ] },
	{ "CCFVAL17266": [ "0x00" , "0x07" ] },
	{ "CCFVAL17223": [ "0x00" , "0x03" ] }
      ]
    }
  ]
}
Another nice one is:

ias-setup-recoveryfs-2.1.1-1002.161.1.L14.i586.rpm
Which seems to be the entry point of the upgrade procedure. If you go on keep unzipping its content and go to

usr/local/lib/firmware/recoveryfs/imc_ias-setup-recoveryfs.cfg
You can find some SSH root password :)

Funny stuff indeed, I wish i could grasp how all this stuff is working

eski

Post by eski » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Nice findings. I must dig a bit more when I have time. IMC is just a linux box. ISC is infotainment slave controller and I do not if any of the XE have one (backseat entertainment).

Looks like what I suspected that CCF is read and configuration is based on that.

There are a few different UIP versions. Low line is just with two USB 3.0, Incontrol apps version with USB and HDMI, Connect pro version with USBs, HDMI and SIM card. Went to dealer and there was XF with UIP that had two USBs and SIM, no HDMI. Low line UIP looks like it is low end USB hub. It has some controller what can be flashed. Other UIPs have more "intelligence" and different firmwares and those are loaded based on CCF.

UIP low line.

PA200241.JPG

UIP high line. It is packet with circuit boards. It is like a small computer.

PA200245.JPG

You propably could hack to switch low line and high line UIP configs and firmwares. I think there may be a possibility to SSH into IMC and change settings.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”