Not locking

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
RPXES

Not locking

Post by RPXES » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi all,

An issue has started occuring recently (over the last few weeks) where the remote will not function.

If I press START / STOP (without starting the engine) to turn on the ignition and then off again, I can then lock the car.

This does not happen every time, but certainly happens about 50%.

Incidentally, today (for the first time), I had a "Battery Low, Start the engine" so I am wondering if it is now related. It wont lock incase it runs out of juice and you can't open it again....

Many thanks

R.
XE S 3.0 V6 340PS - Storm Grey - 20" Propellers, Jet/Oyster, Black Pack, Lighting Pack, Cold Climate, Adv Park Assist, Memory Pack, HUD, Pan Roof, Adaptive Cruise Control, Powerboot, WiFi, Folding Heated Mirrors and Screens

Vespa

Re: Not locking

Post by Vespa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Several functions are inhibited with a low battery. I would suggest a charge up asap or you may have to manually unlock the car with the long key in the fob. Also change the fob batteries in both fobs for peace of mind.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm

I agree with Vespa regarding charging the battery. It's an AGM battery so make sure your charger is suitable for this type. I think a lot of members ,like me who own chargers, have the Ctek MSX5. There are others on the market though.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Dendip

Post by Dendip » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Re Ctek MSx5. I bought one a few weeks ago from Tanya Batteries, they offered the best price and their service was excellent. However be warned that if you want to permanently set it up the eyelet connectors in the box were too small (size 6 I think) for my battery terminal and earthing point so I had to order a lead with size 8 eyelets from Halfords. It was instore for collection in a few days.
XES 340. IRR with Black/White interior. Previous: S Type SE and XF Portfolio. All a delight to own!

RPXES

Post by RPXES » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Charged overnight, still nothing. Used an AGM charger as I know the battteries are Gel. Having to put car in the garage (after a big clear out lol), I can't even lock it with the handle (touch sensor).

Jag said change the remote batteries....
XE S 3.0 V6 340PS - Storm Grey - 20" Propellers, Jet/Oyster, Black Pack, Lighting Pack, Cold Climate, Adv Park Assist, Memory Pack, HUD, Pan Roof, Adaptive Cruise Control, Powerboot, WiFi, Folding Heated Mirrors and Screens

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:51 pm

could be the previous owner disabled the keyless operation, and the remote batteries could also be weak.

keyless disable / enable like in this video.........

Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 pm

I would certainly change the remote battery (if you haven't already) Both my remotes failed the other week and car would not lock/unlock etc. Mind you I never had the battery message that you mention.
Jaguar XE Prestige 2.0l petrol in Bluefire

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:03 am

My fob battery failed and my wife never uses hers. I changed mine and the warning on the das Being a clever Di** I decided to change the one in hers and that solved the problem with the fobs. I know that your system can be disbled, as said already, so have a look at that first.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

RPXES

Post by RPXES » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:35 am

The battery was in bad condition. I bought the car on 4k miles and 2 years old, so it had spent a lot of time stationary. Everything being electric and all gadgets means that it has taken a hammering. I have replaced the JLR one with a new Bosch 850A AGM battery. For good measure I have also replaced the batteries on both fobs and all now working once more. (Even the annoying start/stop is back...argggg)

Not sure which the main culprit was, but I think it was the fobs tbh. The 2nd fob may have already ran out of juice which perhaps threw me initially.

Thanks for your input guys.

R.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 am

Vespa wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:03 am
My fob battery failed and my wife never uses hers. I changed mine and the warning on the das Being a clever Di** I decided to change the one in hers and that solved the problem with the fobs. I know that your system can be disbled, as said already, so have a look at that first.
What a load of spelling mistakes I made. That's what happens when you rush. :oops: :lol:

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”