First Major Problem - Charge Fault

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Byrus

First Major Problem - Charge Fault

Post by Byrus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:50 am

I was driving and the heated steering wheel wouldn't get hot. OK, I figure I'll call the dealership in the next week or so when I have time - no big deal. The next day the battery light comes and when I turn the car off it says battery low, start car. So I restart it and let it run for about 10 minutes. The next day (Friday) it says charge fault and the battery light is on. The dealer says they can't look at it until Monday so I say no problem, I'll drop it off over the weekend. I didn't drive it any further until today (Sunday) when I took it to the dealer that is about 20 minutes away. About 10 minutes from my house about 10 or 15 different faults start popping up and the car is barely moving. Unfortunately, at this point I'm on a 4 lane road and the car completely dies.

My wife and kids were following me to the dealer so they get behind and put on their blinkers. It's very dangerous at this point as I'm in an intersection and cars want to turn left and don't see that I'm not moving. The battery is almost completely dead and nothing works. I call Jaguar assist and they say they will send someone. Probably 60 minutes to get there. Luckily two police cars show up and put on their lights so other cars start slowing down and it's a bit safer. The cops were very nice and they tried to start it but I couldn't even get the gearbox dial to pop up - so there was no way to even put the car in neutral. Does anyone know how to get it in neutral when there is no power?? It was crazy.

Well the cops cancel the Jag road service because it will take too long to get there as it was so dangerous and they call a local tow truck to take it to the new dealership. I obviously have to pay for this out of my ownpocket since Jaguar Assistance didn't call them. My wife REALLY didn't want me to get a Jag so you could imagine she wasn't too thrilled to sit there for 2 hours while this got sorted out (with the kids fighting, etc.). Sigh.

Anyway, I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Any thoughts on how I should go about to try to get reimbursed for the tow?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post.
2017 XE 35t Prestige. Ultimate Black, Vision Package, Technology Package and Comfort and Convenience Package.

dolphinfreindly

Re: First Major Problem - Charge Fault

Post by dolphinfreindly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:48 am

Could be something as simple as a knackered battery. Jags are very sensitive to voltage and a less than good battery will throw up many random faults.
Keep us posted..

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:01 am

Yes, I'd point the finger at the battery first.
The multiple fault codes is a classic sign of a very low battery.
I would hope they would also look at the alternator to make sure it's doing its stuff properly.

As regards the car being locked in park or drive etc, there's a method to unlock the gearbox which involes removing the engine cover and using a lever on the side of the engine to put the box in neutral.

I would speak to the dealer first about recovering the towing fee as it was an emergency and Jag assist couldn't respond in time.
The "emergency" being declared by the police officers who judged it to be a serious danger.
You might have to escalate the claim up to Jaguar customer services though.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 am

Always call Jag Assist first whenever you have a fault... that way they are responsible for either fixing it or getting it recovered to a dealership and arranging a guaranteed courtesy car. In my experience they are more likely to know what’s wrong with it than a dealership anyway.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 am

Indianajons wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 am
Always call Jag Assist first whenever you have a fault... that way they are responsible for either fixing it or getting it recovered to a dealership and arranging a guaranteed courtesy car. In my experience they are more likely to know what’s wrong with it than a dealership anyway.
He did and they gave an ETA of 60 minutes.
The police that turned up decided it was too dangerous broken down on a busy freeway to wait that long so called a quicker recovery.
Sounds like a sensible decision to me.
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 am

PhilB wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 am
Indianajons wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 am
He did and they gave an ETA of 60 minutes.
The police that turned up decided it was too dangerous broken down on a busy freeway to wait that long so called a quicker recovery.
Sounds like a sensible decision to me.
I meant when he first noticed the fault and the car was at home, rather than contacting the dealer and trying to get it there himself
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 am

I think I would have connected a charger at the first sign of trouble, then if it reappeared get it into the dealer. An overnight charge may be all that was needed.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Byrus

Post by Byrus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 pm

It was the alternator. Needed to be replaced. Also, I don't think Jaguar Assistance is as helpful in the States. When I called them (through the car) they didn't know how to put the car in neutral when the batter was dead. When I picked up the car I asked them and there is a little switch under the engine cover that you flip. I NEVER would have guessed that.
2017 XE 35t Prestige. Ultimate Black, Vision Package, Technology Package and Comfort and Convenience Package.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”