Enabling Smartphone pack (Apple carplay/Android Auto) in non capable ICTP

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
eski

Enabling Smartphone pack (Apple carplay/Android Auto) in non capable ICTP

Post by eski » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Lot story short. TLDR; I have MY18 XE with ICTP. It has low line UIP (User interface panel) only with two USB ports. This car is not capable running Apple Carplay. In this thread I will tell how AC (Apple Carplay) or AA (Android Auto) can be enabled.

I will break this thread to different posts to make thing clear.

1) What you need
2) What you need to do part 1
3) What you need to do part 2
4) CCF (Car Configuration File) change
Last edited by eski on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY18 25t RWD R-Sport, Firenze Red, ICTP, allmost all the fun stuff.

eski

Re: Enabling Smartphone pack (Apple carplay/Android Auto) in non capable ICTP

Post by eski » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:16 pm

What you need:

You need to:

1)Make Topix account with independent operator
2) Windows 64 (good/working) laptop.
2.1) Make fresh windows install
2.2)Install pathfinder https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/ui/mylinks Download install application
3) Get DoIP interface to connect laptop to car. I bought original JRL equipment

doip.JPG

You propably can do it with cheap chinese, but also you could destroy you car...
4) Get battery support unit for coding. I bought Jaguar approved Fronius battery support, but any unit which can support 40A or more will do. Pathfinder will check that voltage is at the required level before you can do any changes. But do not try without support unit.

4) Get correct UIP. I bought unit with HDMI interface. Part number: C2D42799

PA200245.JPG

5) Get cable between UIP and IMC (Infotainment master controller). Part number: T4N20692

PA200247.JPG

6) Get small molex pins. Power connector between low line UIP and high line UIP is different. New connector for high line UIP is with cable, but pins are different.

molex-c-grid-irtopinni.jpg

I did solder new pins to original power supply cable, so soldering equipment can help. If you have good crimping tools you can use those.

eski

Post by eski » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm

What yo need to do part 1:

1) Start from trunk side (or whatever). Remove trunk floor.

PA200217.JPG

2) Remove bolts holding down the rear guard(?)

PA200219.JPG

3) and remove rear guard. Just pull up. You propably loose couple clips, but who cares.

PA200222.JPG

4) remove left side of the trunk lining

PA200220.JPG

PA200223.JPG

5) Next remove or loose rear seat. Just pull up. If you have heated seats be careful with power connectors. You just need to pull up to loose a bit. In picture after loosing rear seat you can remove bolt holding down the rear bolster and pull up the plastic cover.

PA200231.JPG

6) Now you can remove rear seat air vent cover. Just pull it out.

PA200235.JPG

PA200236.JPG

Now we can install the APIX2 cable from IMC to UIP. There is clear path after you remove some plastic covers

PA200253.JPG

PA200254.JPG

Continue on next post

eski

Post by eski » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:42 pm

What you need to do part 2:

1) remove bolts which hold down IMC

PA200255.JPG

Now you can install APIX2 cable easily. It has atleast half a meter extra length so you can set it up properly

PA200261.JPG

At the IMC side cable is connected to that red/violet connector. It goes in only one way.

PA200224.JPG

and after you have installed the APIX2 cable is the ugliest part of this job. New power connector to UIP
1) Remove fuse number 2 from trunk upper fuse box. 10A red fuse.
2) Verify that there is no power to green connector. You can cut the cable or do split connection for new pin connectors which fit to APIX2 cable.

PA200262.JPG

3) After connecting existing UIP power cables to new pins correct +12V and ground order must be preserved (we do not want to burn new UIP, right)

IMG_3613.JPG

4) Looks like this when you have replaced the old UIP with new UIP

IMG_3618.JPG

Based on my experience you can charge your phone and listen music thru usb but you cannot use USB mediastorage and/or update maps thru USB before CCF change is done.

Now you can install all back. Install is the reverse of removal. :)

eski

Post by eski » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:48 pm

CCF (Car Configuration File) change

As in MY18+ you cannot modify CCF using SDD and softwaredownload.htm. With pathfinder you can download car CCF, modify it and upload it back to the car.

Modifying CCF is now out of my league. I had a one guy to do that modification. As we lived several hundred kilometers and different countries apart remote CCF editing was made using teamviewer. Modifying CCF is not a free service but it was around 100£. After CCF modification you have original CCF and modified CCF. As dealer could overwrite modified CCF with pathfinder. Then you can upload modified CCF back to the car. Dealer uploading CCF to your car is not a normal procedure so you should not worry.

If you have all this and need to have CCF modified I can pm you contact information. He can do all necessary changes at the same time. Even the video on move can be enabled.

IMG_3790.jpg

and AC works.

golar3

Post by golar3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:47 am

Congratulations, this is awesome!

I wonder if the infotainment system is the same, I own a 2019 Range Rover P400e, which in my country was sold with InControl apps and connectivity featured as standard and with CarPlay as a later free upgrade. But it came with the low line UIP, the one with just the two USB ports... No CarPlay upgrade possible...

All my communication with JLR has been useless, even people from the main offices in the UK wrote to me that “We have checked intensively with our engineering whether your vehicle can be retrofitted with the desired InControl options. Much to our regret it turned out that this is not possible because your vehicle as purchasd (sic) from stock neither offers the technical specs as required for that modification nor is it supported by our engineering as there might be unforeseeable implications after due to the massive software modifications required for this.”

As I suspected all along, it’s probably just an interface, a cable and some CCF modifications…

I would be very grateful for some more insight, especially on how to modify and upload the CCF. The funny part is, CarPlay aftermarket solutions exist, but for cars up to 2017, they didn’t bother with the new ones, because they’re supposed to have CarPlay from the factory!

Once again, congratulations!

eski

Post by eski » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi

Yes, basically it is same change (if your car is MY19, wide screen and NO buttons on the side). Change UIP and add cable and code the car. I think you can use same part numbers etc..

My next upgrade is to add advanced parking, 360 cameras and upgrade to 825W meridian. Just add the missing hardware, wires and code the car.

golar3

Post by golar3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello,
Yes, it is the screen without buttons. I'm not afraid of changing parts and modifying the cable, but as you said, recoding CCF is way out of my league. I don't know anyone who could help me with that...

Sohaybyakan

Post by Sohaybyakan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:19 pm

I want to do it on range rover sport l494
I have everything ready only need ccf editing
If you need I’ll send you ccf to edit it

golar3

Post by golar3 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:13 pm

There is this company that sells highline uip's for a good price and they seem to already have a cable mod to make them work without Eski's cable split. Can you confirm this is what's required? Do they look like the one you used?

highline uip_cr.jpg