Jaguar XE Forum banner

Remote start

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ramondo 
G
#1 ·
Since the Incontrol journeys have been sorted the remote start has now packed up. Three mornings on the trot and remote has failed. :cry:

#3 ·
Looks like another round of phone calls and emails to JLR for you then, mine has been fine as well.
The Stinger is looking more and more likely !!

G
#4 ·
I decided to charge my battery yesterday as most of my recent journeys have been short. I noticed that the rear heated window was functioning and it was not switched on by me or the auto climate. Yesterday I decided to switch it on with the switch. The switch light came on and stayed on for around 6 mins or so, before going off. From previous experience with XE's, both mine and others on here, glitches occur with a battery needing a charge. As I had lamps, heated windows and other electrical items on whilst on my short journeys, I put 2+2 together and decided perhaps the battery needed a charge. The S/S used to show that by not working, before I changed to a bigger battery but that functioned every time once the car was at operating temp. I put it on charge and surprisingly it took 4 1/2 hours of charging. This morning the car remote started without any trouble and the rear window heater did not operate automatically as the temp was above the parameters required. It seems to me that the fancy electronics on the XE are very dubious if the battery loses some charge.

G
#6 ·
Mine did not start on both frosty days earlier in the week ( In other words when I needed it most) I know the app could connect to the car as I tried the flash and beep function which worked.

I just tried it now, nice and mild, and it started.

The XE I had was the same . It was hit and miss on frosty mornings but at other times it always worked.

As both are the same is the issue either very cold weather stopping it working (battery lower than expected, but this is the weather it's really meant for) or is there an issue with the servers being overloaded at Jaguars end for the command being sent (lots of owners trying to use it at once, it does take a lot longer to connect at these times).

I know if I take it to a dealer that it will work and I will get told its all OK, come back when it's not working (usual fob off I've had before or the it's working within parameters or they simply cannot see the fault such as the vibrations I'm getting through the accelerator pedal at the moment).

Cheers

#7 ·
David. That sounds like a plausible reason.

A few weeks ago, it was a particularly frosty morning so I tried the remote start. After a short while the app replied "failed to contact car" or similar. I tried again with the same result, on 3rd attempt the car started as normal. It would have been a busy time of the day and a cold morning, other drivers getting ready for work at the same time etc. So, it is possible that the server cannot handle too many people trying to access it at the same time.

We all know how many websites clog up when they are busy e.g. concert tickets being released and suchlike. So, maybe try it a few times before assuming something is broke.

I know it shouldn't really happen, but Jaguar are a rather niche market and their servers probably wouldn't have as much bandwidth as a much larger car manufacturer.

G
#8 ·
Highly likely that is the problem that the servers cannot cope. I must admit it was above freezing when it started after the charge up. Perhaps I have been barking up the wrong tree with this one and it was just coincidental that it started after the charge up. The heated window is now operating only when told too though so I think that may have blurred the reason for not starting. David, is it possible that your engine mounts are causing the problem?

#9 ·
Another reason for remote start not working I have discovered, is if it is the middle of a dpf regen, i did some short journeys over the xmas break, and remote start stopped working, went on a longer journey, and it obviously completed a regen (i can only tell via smell), and remote start now working fine.

#10 ·
In the year and half I've owned the car I've only ever had a problem with remote start once, after a phone call to the help line I was told to delete the app and start again. Once I uploaded the app and logged in again it worked no problem. My wife uses remote start just about every day during the winter (Scotland!) and it's been a God send. Don't think she'll have another car without it from now on! Plus the journeys always log too.
I renewed after a year but took the cheaper option doing away with the tracker if stolen, didn't get any insurance discount with it anyway.

Maybe worth deleting the app and starting again for those with problems, no harm done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.