Forward alert + AEB = pedestrian detection

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
crossing

Forward alert + AEB = pedestrian detection

Post by crossing » Mon May 18, 2020 5:33 pm

I want to buy used 2016 XE ( actually november 2015) to my wife because she tends not to be very careful when near pedestrians. Several times she almost went over pedestrians on crosswalk. I was hoping that this car can solve this problem atleast partially.

The car have 110.000 miles and seems to be full option. Here is the serial: SAJAB4BNXGA926636. The seller its a local car park, the car is coming from Belgium.

Injection pump was changed in march 2019 , it costed shocking 2000 euro !!

1. Is that a regular fault after 4 years of usage ?

2. It also have Meridian audio system, is this coming by default on this cars ? If not what was the price of this option ? I also noticed that on topix I can't find that option on this serial, is this normal ?

3. The price is 13000 euro , does it worth it ?

4. Forward alert will detect pedestrians ?

Rob Wright

Re: Forward alert + AEB = pedestrian detection

Post by Rob Wright » Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm

I'll answer as best I can;

1, Shouldn't be a common fault

2, Some spec cars do come with Meridian as standard. I'm not sure about European badging but those seats look the same as my Portfolio. UK Portfolio's came with the 380w system as standard.

3, Can't answer that, all markets are different.

4, The online manual for the 2016 MY doesn't seem to mention Pedestrian EB. For later years it does.

Final point is that you cannot rely on a single electronic system to protect yourself or others. That's what the driver is for!
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D

Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Mon May 18, 2020 10:12 pm

I thought at first this might be a joke. If your wife needs a car with pedestrian detection built in, I would suggest she stops driving immediately and joins the pedestrians before she kills one.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:12 pm
I thought at first this might be a joke. If your wife needs a car with pedestrian detection built in, I would suggest she stops driving immediately and joins the pedestrians before she kills one.

I was thinking exactly the same thing!!!
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am

The car looks as if it has a standard audio system. If the car has 3 points in the centre of the screen as cameras/ detection it is fitted with AEB, which is OK but NOT infallable. I too would suggest that your wife stops driving ASAP as she isn't apparently safe and either has a serious eye disorder or is a poor driver. Sorry to say that but sometimes certain things need pointing out.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

crossing

Post by crossing » Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 am

My wife is driving alot, she is a generally good driver but 2-3 times / year she shocks me with strange behavior nearly passing over pedestrians, when I tell her she starts screaming of me that its my fault because I started screaming (after she nearly made the incident). I warned here that next time I will leave it alone , so one time at night + small rain I sow the pedestrian crossing the crosswalk and I tell her nothing until the very moment ! She pushed the brake and this time accused the windshield micro scratches + night. Its truth the windshield had some badly sun/headlights reflection but, from the right seat I sow the pedestrian long time ago. Long story short this is extremely rare but I need her in my life , I don't want her to go in jail, her job forces her to driver so I need to make sure she will own an car that will reduce the risk. There are more expensive cars with night infrared pedestrian detection (q7 over 2016) but that's way to expensive for my budget.
Last edited by crossing on Tue May 19, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aviator

Post by Aviator » Tue May 19, 2020 10:23 am

You can't beat looking out of the window to avoid collisions. If your wife is looking at the dashboard for warnings, she could easily miss other dangers. I would very seriously think about relieving your wife of the car.
17 Plate XE Prestige Petrol (2018MY) in Firenze Red

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 19, 2020 10:51 am

Are these incidents at night mainly? If so she may have night myopia which is a condition affecting the eyesight and gradually comes on as people age.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

crossing

Post by crossing » Tue May 19, 2020 11:29 am

She's worst at night, yes, but it happened also during the daytime. All I need is the car to warn her/break by herself when pedestrians, I know its not 100% reliable but its something. The thing is that I don't know if that late 2015 XE model Forward alert + AEB does that, it maybe only for cars ? I need to know for sure, the seller can say anything just to sell the car.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

I have accessed the manual for AEB and it is designed to work with other vehicles. From what I read human impact is not part of it's functions.
https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docume ... c/G1904936