Forward alert + AEB = pedestrian detection

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
PhilB

Re: Forward alert + AEB = pedestrian detection

Post by PhilB » Tue May 19, 2020 4:18 pm

As has been said, the AEB system will not work for pedestrians.
The front parking sensors are no good either even if they were fitted as they only operate at low speeds and less than 1 metre away.
Does your wife wear glasses for driving?
If she does then it may be that she needs another eye test.
If she doesn't wear glasses then I would arrange an eye test as soon as possible.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 pm

Vespa wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:51 am
Are these incidents at night mainly? If so she may have night myopia which is a condition affecting the eyesight and gradually comes on as people age.
Just to point out here that this condition is gradual and affects a large amount of the older population of all countries. Norway being more northerly will in winter have low daylight levels which will make things worse. I suggest a thorough eye check up as there may be other factors such as small burst blood vessels in the retina, cataracts or glaucoma. All need thoroghly investigating and eliminating. I spent two years working in eye surgery theatres, in several hospitals in the NW of England. She may just either need spectacles or if she already wears them a new prescription.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Another thought is, has your Wife ever passed a driving test?
To have 2 or 3 incidents a year doesn't make her a good driver and I'm afraid to say it sounds like only a matter of time before she kills someone.
If I was you I wouldn't let her take a car out on the road again until she has been passed medically fit at least, an avoidable death would be a horrible thing to have on your conscience.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

crossing

Post by crossing » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Vespa wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm
I have accessed the manual for AEB and it is designed to work with other vehicles. From what I read human impact is not part of it's functions.
https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docume ... c/G1904936
That solved the problem, it was such a beautiful car ,to band AEB doesn't recognize pedestrians on this model :cry: I may switch to VOLVO XC60 with CITY SAFE feature, 2-3K more expensive..

crossing

Post by crossing » Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am

PhilB wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:18 pm
The front parking sensors are no good either even if they were fitted as they only operate at low speeds and less than 1 metre away.
If she doesn't wear glasses then I would arrange an eye test as soon as possible.
Several eyes test were made, the last one 3 weeks ago , all fine.

crossing

Post by crossing » Wed May 20, 2020 11:46 am

147daytona wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm
Another thought is, has your Wife ever passed a driving test?
To have 2 or 3 incidents a year doesn't make her a good driver and I'm afraid to say it sounds like only a matter of time before she kills someone.
If I was you I wouldn't let her take a car out on the road again until she has been passed medically fit at least, an avoidable death would be a horrible thing to have on your conscience.
Let me tell you something, several years ago when she start driving I said to her that she needs to make some extra drive lessons which she did because I said so, but she selected some of our friends (that's his job) , and he said that she's fine. Later on I sow no changes but she started accusing me that I forced her to take extra driving lessons and that I don't trust her. How can I stop her from driving when her job is to travel every few days around 150 miles. The biggest stress for me is when she takes the kids for a long ride and I'm home.. I can't do nothing about it but to try to improve what I can, the last recent incident was just 2 weeks ago on a car parking place , sometimes you find concrete poles , when she turned left she didnt see the pole (while I sow it), she turned left to shortly and both left doors are deep scratched ( Jaguar XF).

Zingiber

Post by Zingiber » Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm

If you really want to pursue a pedestrian warning system, you could perhaps fit something like this?
https://vehicletechstore.co.uk/product/ ... -series-6/

It wont fix the main issue however, which is your wife's terrible attitude regarding her responsibility when driving.
I don't want to be mean. I can understand the situation you're in is difficult. But the fact of the matter is your wife is potentially going to kill someone.

Is your driving instructor your friend or her friend? Have you spoken to him again since?
MY2018 XE 25t R-Sport • Caesium Blue • Midnight Blue interior • InControl Touch Pro • 380w Meridian sound system.
It's got a CD player player player player player player

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed May 20, 2020 2:07 pm

crossing wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am
PhilB wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:18 pm
Several eyes test were made, the last one 3 weeks ago , all fine.
Did you actually go with her for the eye tests and speak to the optician about her apparent peripheral vision problem?
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Some eye tests are just basic vision tests whilst Optomotrists check the eye fully. That should include sight test with a Snellen test to check basic vision and astigmatism. Then the retina should be visually checked along with the optic nerve and macula. At this point the lens can be also checked for cataracts. This is critical and can cause severe vision impairment. The retina will be checked with an instrument that checks peripheral vision by having small random lights of varying intensity where when seen the patient presses a button to acknowledge that they have seen it.Eye pressures should also be checked (intra ocular pressure or Tonometry) to rule out glaucoma. In older people or those with long or short sight, close vision is also checked by reading small print. Lastly a photo can be taken of the retina and surrounding blood vessels which can rupture for a variety of reasons (eg constipation and straining or High blood pressure etc) If these are done and show no abnormalities then it must be put down to poor driving ability. Many eye disorders can be alleviated with drops or minor surgery. When I first was involved in lens replacement for cataracts we could only get one per hour done. Now with the modern methods developed it takes around 15-20 mins. There are other eye disorders that could be found on examination but these are the most common.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

JasperTheJag

Post by JasperTheJag » Wed May 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Just me that finds this whole thread deeply worrying?!

A couple of thoughts....
1. Driving position. Make sure she can actually see out of the car and over the bonnet
2. Being aware of your limits. Driving whilst tired/under the weather is just as dangerous as driving whilst under the influence. If you don't know your limits, you're a danger on the roads. Perhaps you could chat to your wife about becoming more aware of her bodily state, and to carefully consider whether she should be getting behind the wheel.

3. This thread seems hugely illconceived. Should your wife commit murder or serious bodily harm by dangerous driving, you've just admitted it being a problem, and implied guilt on her behalf. I'd seriously consider what you're posting / sharing on the internet. It's highly unlikely that this will ever be discovered by any law enforcement etc, but oversharing here potentially means oversharing elsewhere.

I work for a company that does ethical hacking engagements and profiles on people using the information they share on the web. You'd be surprised how much we can find out about people through social media etc and some extremely basic telephone/email techniques.
'17 180D R Sport, Firenze Red.