Map updates - any options?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
RoJo

Re: Map updates - any options?

Post by RoJo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:54 pm

Well I'm having major issues updating my map. I had problems the first time round but I worked through those and got it done.

This time I get as far as the map downloader screen then it fails. I'm thinking about buying a cheap used laptop to narrow down whether it's my wife's computer or not. The frustrating thing is I'm over-run with computers at work, but my IT dept has locked them all down and I can't even plug a USB stick in!
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:48 am

Success!

I dug out an old gaming Win7 pc tucked away in my loft. Fitted the original hard drives and then spent a couple of updating it.

When it came to download the map it threw up a VCRUNTIME140.dll error message but I downloaded a couple of files off the internet and then the map downloaded. It took 2.5 hours to download and 20 mins to install, but I do have the latest map :)
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:12 am

I had more success when I stopped everyone else in the house using the internet and then the download speed increased, so the 10 hours dropped to 40 minutes. Still an unnecessary and laborious process though.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

mr_m_plow

Post by mr_m_plow » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:48 pm

One thing I've spotted on the map updates is that the software downloads all the files locally to your machine into your user profile appdata folder and keeps a copy there after you finish.

When I did the first update I only had a 120GB SSD in my laptop which only had 20G free at the time. Nothing popped up saying out of disk space and the download got stuck at around 60%. Only after a few attempts did I realise the issue was actually the laptop running out of free space.

The map downloader app doesn't have any settings to change the 'temp' location it uses to download the files before writing them to the USB, it may be possible to change it using some regedits, but that seems a bit drastic for it all.

Some work laptops might have a profile quota set which might cause issues with this too - usually the case if your company uses roaming profiles.

In short - a FAT32 64GB USB stick and at least 35GB (currently) free space should do the job :) .

Colt

Post by Colt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:54 pm

PhilB wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:51 am
Jeff123 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:04 am
I have the map downloader installed and I can see a range of maps to download. Everything seemed to be in place and I left the download overnight - c10 hours.
The range of maps that appear may not be right for your vehicle and they are at cost.
When you are logged into the site click on "my account" and then when the boxes appear on the left hand side click on "downloads".
The latest map for your vehicle should be there and that is the one to download.
I had a problem trying to download the update yesterday it took hours and decided to give in at 88%. Having read thru some posts on here I followed Philb instructions above and indeed it worked. Thanks Philb 👍
XE R-Sport Santorini black 200ps petrol. Black pack, privacy rear windows, Ebony headlong, 18” black alloys, advanced park assist, heated front screen, 12x12 way heated electric seats, heated power fold door mirrors. Spare wheel.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 am

You are welcome.
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:23 pm

Didn't look like the maps on my 2016 XE had ever been updated. So I paid for the update and have just downloaded the 31GB of files. Only took two and half hours :roll:

Can someone please give me a rough idea as to how long the update will take once I plug the USB2 stick into the car.

Thanks,

Richard
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm

About 20 minutes or so for a USB 3.
Can't comment on a USB2 as I ditched them for the car.
Engine must be running to prevent auto shut down of the systems.
After starting the engine wait until the nav system is up and fully running before putting the USB in.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:24 pm

PhilB wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm
About 20 minutes or so for a USB 3.
Can't comment on a USB2 as I ditched them for the car.
Engine must be running to prevent auto shut down of the systems.
After starting the engine wait until the nav system is up and fully running before putting the USB in.

Thanks Phil.

That might be a bit of a stretch for USB 2 then. I will transfer the files to another pen drive.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

FairlyOldGit

Post by FairlyOldGit » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm confused - I've just done a search for map updates and (under instruction) have downloaded a "Jaguar-MapUpdater.dmg" file.

The instructions talk about removing the SD card from the car and inserting into a PC slot - everybody else has been talking about
loading up memory sticks and plugging those into the car - am I doing something wrong here???

Richard

edit: I think Jaguar-MapUpdater.dmg is a MAC file .... looking a bit further...
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers