Map updates - any options?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Kaikoura

Re: Map updates - any options?

Post by Kaikoura » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:06 pm

FairlyOldGit wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:49 pm
I'm confused - I've just done a search for map updates and (under instruction) have downloaded a "Jaguar-MapUpdater.dmg" file.

The instructions talk about removing the SD card from the car and inserting into a PC slot - everybody else has been talking about
loading up memory sticks and plugging those into the car - am I doing something wrong here???

Richard

edit: I think Jaguar-MapUpdater.dmg is a MAC file .... looking a bit further...

The MapUpdater file sits on your computer and manages the map download from the Jaguar here.com site.

I believe that some systems had the map data stored on an SD card and others, like mine, store the maps in the internal memory.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

RoJo

Post by RoJo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:22 pm

The Incontrol Touch navigation maps are stored on a SD card that's plugged into the car in order to work. Touch Pro navigation is stored in the cars memory and transferred by usb stick.
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

FairlyOldGit

Post by FairlyOldGit » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:46 pm

Rob Wright

I understand that now - I have the basic Incontrol Touch software - I've just put my hand in my pocket and spent £97 on the latest maps
download OK and UK and Irish republic maps updated.

It looks like I might have managed a discount on the £97 - I paid by Paypal, which reported that it could not process a payment in GBP -
so I agreed to pay in Euros (€107 approx). When I was transferred to the Paypal site it briefly flagged up the amount in Euros and its
conversion back to GBP but showed £90 ! - all payments pending but will check back in a day or two!

Richard
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

Wellsy

Post by Wellsy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:59 pm

I've managed to download onto the USB 3 using my Mac and the downloader from here.com but I can't get the maps to load onto the car. It's deleted the existing maps but the most upload I can get is about 15% before it stops and says I need to contact the dealer.

I've deleted the files and reloaded onto the USB but no joy. It has updated once before but it took two goes.

Any thoughts before I contact the dealer please?

TIA
MY20 Firenze Red P250 HSE R Design

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:26 pm

Wellsy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:59 pm
I've managed to download onto the USB 3 using my Mac and the downloader from here.com but I can't get the maps to load onto the car. It's deleted the existing maps but the most upload I can get is about 15% before it stops and says I need to contact the dealer.

I've deleted the files and reloaded onto the USB but no joy. It has updated once before but it took two goes.

Any thoughts before I contact the dealer please?

TIA

I did see a comment somewhere, can't remember where, that the car can be a bit fussy about the make of USB stick. The recommendation was to use a ScanDisK USB 3 pen drive. I will find out tomorrow if that works ;)
Richard Green

2016 XE R-Sport - HJ16XES (Cat); 2004 XKR convertible - RG04XKR (Animal); 1975 Triumph TR6 - HPR30N (Rob)

Wellsy

Post by Wellsy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks - it's a Toshiba one so I would have thought it was pretty good.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 am

Downloaded the full Europe and Russia map update onto a ScanDisk 64GB USB 3 stick. Plugged the stick into the car this morning and the upload took 13 minutes. Following the update everything seems to be working OK.
Richard Green

Wellsy

Post by Wellsy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Kaikoura wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 am
Downloaded the full Europe and Russia map update onto a ScanDisk 64GB USB 3 stick. Plugged the stick into the car this morning and the upload took 13 minutes. Following the update everything seems to be working OK.
Thanks. I've ordered a Sandisk one which is due tomorrow so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Kaikoura

Post by Kaikoura » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Wellsy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm
Kaikoura wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:29 am
Thanks. I've ordered a Sandisk one which is due tomorrow so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.
Richard Green

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:56 pm

Just a reminder of some best practice that has evolved over time when using a USB stick for the Pro nav maps.

Maps are now over 32GB so the old sized 32GB sticks aren't big enough.
Use a dedicated 64GB stick (USB3) and ensure it's formatted to FAT 32.
Some come as FAT 32, if not simple programs are online to do the conversion.
Only use the stick for your maps.
Having other content on it can cause issues.
Downloading onto the stick can vary in time taken depending on broadband speed.
If you are still in warranty do not pay for any updates.
When logged into the "here" site click on "my account" then on the "Downloads" box on the left hand side which will have the latest map for your car.

Once done then start the car and wait until the nav has initialised before plugging the stick in.
Go for a drive or be prepared to sit on your drive whilst it uploads as the engine needs to be running.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.