XES rear camera foggy

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
IIRXES

XES rear camera foggy

Post by IIRXES » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:05 pm

I thought the camera was dirty as the roads are generally quite damp now and the camera is prone to being covered with road spray. I cleaned it and it was still foggy so I think the seals have failed and its condensated inside.
I'm going to look at replacement but I cant find a part number and they appear to be £150 on ebay so I want to make sure Im getting the right one. Can anyone assist with finding the part number, its a 2015 XES chassis ending in 11073, I have the 360° camera pack.
Also can anyone assist with instructions for removal of the bits please?
Any assistance much appreciated 8-)
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

RoJo

Re: XES rear camera foggy

Post by RoJo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:31 pm

It might pay to pop yours out first, just to check part numbers etc. It should be fairly easy, use a thin rigid piece of plastic to slide under the seals to gently press the locking tabs back while levering the camera/switch away from the body. I'd start at the camera end and work down. My front camera has turned slightly misty over the past couple of weeks and that's not so easy to get to!
Currently a Caesium Blue 30T Portfolio :D
Previously a Corris grey 25D R-sport.

Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:50 pm

I too had the foggy camera problem after getting caught in a torrential rainstorm last week.
On the advice of my independent, I removed the camera and left it sitting on a radiator for several hours. Then, just to be sure, I opened it up, carefully removed the two pcbs - half a dozen T6s hold the whole thing together - and made sure everything was bone dry and clean before reassembly. Be sure to get the pcbs correctly orientated and make sure the green seal in the casing is clean and properly located. I then replaced the camera, recalibrated it by driving slowly in a roughly straight line for two or three minutes (not sure if that was entirely necessary) and it now works perfectly. I did, however, notice that the weather seal behind the plastic panel that mounts it to the bootlid had seen better days, so have ordered a replacement panel.
This might work for you and it is a lot cheaper than a replacement camera. One thing that did irritate me, though, was JLR's meanness when it comes to wiring! There was hardly any slack in the camera cable, so it is best to ease the mounting panel out of the bootlid, then release the camera from the panel before attempting to disconnect it by releasing the tabs top and bottom.
MY16 180D Porfolio in Firenze.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:00 am

Not a common problem with the XE but it is on the Evoque.
Blamed a lot on pressure washers but it seems the seals can be vulnerable to water ingress.
I can't confirm if it's the same system as on the XE but it could well be given the parts bin nature of production.

I've had a dig around found a couple of the topics from there that might help.

https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/thre ... ost-277908

https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/thre ... sue.16242/

I also recall there are two types.
A 4 pin and a 6 pin so you will need to ensure you are buying the right one.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks Phil for the evoke links, very helpful links indeed.

Well I need to extract the camera to find out which type I have but I think as I have 360 its the more expensive 4 pin type. But while it's out I will have a cracking,at taking apart and cleaning it out before shelling out the extra cash.

Thanks again
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm

well I extracted the camera from the boot lid, quite an easy task really, and stripped it as per the links sent by PhilB. Althought there is a little difference, on the camera in the link the top and bottom PCBs are joined by a small ribbon cable, on my camera its a connector that just pulls apart when you pull off the top PCB

I cleaned the lenses and CMOS with a gentle wipe from a cotton bud with some isopropyl alcohol and then reassembled. It took about 40 mins altogether. It has made a bit of a difference but its still not great, but as I had the partnumber, a quick ebay search netted a brand new one for £43 delivered.
I think a liberal coating of clear glue around the seals and joins won't hurt before I fit it.

I dont know if its all the 360° camera types but mine had 6 pins.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Sounds like a fix and a good idea to use some waterproof glue.
I recall one of the blokes on the Ewok forums had 360 cameras and swapped one from under the wing mirror to the back end as a temporary measure and it worked perfectly.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE MHEV, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Yes Phil It appears that all 4 cameras are the same on the XES with 360, both the under mirror ones and the front and rear. It does make sense I suppose to keep costs down.
Thanks for your help buddy.

msa

Post by msa » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:14 am

There's one more thing that I suspect causes the picture to be less than optimal. The wiring loom that amongst the others contains both the camera power as well as the signal coaxial cable is prone on getting damaged.

The camera's power feed wire broke on my car, I fixed that and observed that the coaxial cable was damaged as well, but not yet broken. Prior to this the picture was crisp and clear but when the loom got damaged the picture quality is no longer that good, working though. (Like VHS compared to DVD). I have cleaned the camera but no improvement, thus suspecting the signal path.

The loom is on the left hand side of the car and tied to boot lid hinge under the plastic covers on the hinge and then to the boot ceiling. It looks like closing/opening the lid puts some stress on the loom and eventually it gets damaged.

Funnily enough, I have as well an X250 XF and there the boot<>-boot lid loom is a common fault too.

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:02 am

Just had a look on E-Pace forum and no mentions of camera fogging / misting.
Lots of posts on rear camera being pushed into housing, probably due to weight of tailgate and release button being very close to camera.
Curr: MY20 E-Pace P200 Chequered Flag, Photon red
Prev: MY18 XE P250 Portfolio RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, folding mirrors
Prev: MY17 XE D180 Prestige Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, pano roof, folding mirrors