Low Battery Warning after Battery Change

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Swallows

Low Battery Warning after Battery Change

Post by Swallows » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi, I had to have a new battery fitted to my Dec 2015 XE today by breakdown service; it starts nicely been for a 15 mile drive, it shows red triangle exclamation mark "Low Battery Please Start Engine", I have done this several time now, car starts well, will this warning clear? or is it a problem?
XE 180 Portfolio + several upgrades -Black Cherry, Black Venom Alloys
Past joys several: Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Jaguar XJ6's Sovereign 4.0 & Sport's 4.0, X350 V8, Jaguar XJS V12 6.0

BOBCDP

Re: Low Battery Warning after Battery Change

Post by BOBCDP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:34 pm

Not 100% sure but I suspect the car doesn't know you've replaced the battery. I assume your breakdown cover is not Jaguar Assist. When they replace a battery, they use JLR software which tells the car exactly what type of battery you have fitted and the charging system is then set up correctly. Batteries will all be 12vdc but their amp hour capacity may be different. The standard battery was 80 a/h but a lot of people have gone for 90 or 100 a/h when they have needed replacement. It used to be whip the old one out and shove in a new one asnd everything was fine but unfortunately these days the charging systems have to be told what battery is fitted so that it will always be charged correctly. The warning may disappear but if not you may need to get it set up properly by a dealer although I think probably battery/ tyre suppliers can probably do it a lot cheaper.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Swallows

Post by Swallows » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi Bob, it was one of the big breakdown companies, fitting a new 80a/h battery. I'll get them back to re-set/tell the system its the same battery.

Do you think, in the mean time, it is just a warning rather than it not charging?
Past joys several: Jaguar S-Type 3.0 Jaguar XJ6's Sovereign 4.0 & Sport's 4.0, X350 V8, Jaguar XJS V12 6.0

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm

It is probably fine and charging ok. If they changed like for like, the warning may well clear. I know others on the forum over the years have replaced batteries themselves and haven't reported any issues. As I say, it's a suspicion as to why the warning hasn't cleared but I'm not certain. if you ask a JLR dealer, they will tell you that when you fit a new battery, it has to be programmed to the car but heaven knows why that should be necessary. It strikes me that it's just another way to make a buck
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

Elsa_jag

Post by Elsa_jag » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 pm

I had this issue on a BMW following a dying battery being replaced.

Most cars these days ‘know’ through programming and registration of the battery, what rating the battery is.

In my case the AH of the replacement battery was lower than the original battery. The car didn’t like this and was able to detect the lower power of the replacement battery. The car assumed the battery must be dying as it didn’t meet the spec that the car expected or ‘knew’ should be fitted.

I went back to the guys who changed the battery and asked them to put the correct rating of battery on the car, which they did.

If you’re seeing the same issue then it’s no good reprogramming the car to use a lesser battery imo. if the manufacturer spec’d a rating for your model and toys, then that’s what you should have fitted for reliability and peace of mind.
Carl

Jaguar XE, MY17, ‘66 reg R-sport, 20d 180ps auto
Jaguar XJ, 1994 S, 3.2 auto
VW T25, 1981 Westfalia LHD, 2.0 Aircooled
VW T5, 2006 Kombi, 2.5 Auto

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:45 pm

Elsa_jag wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 pm
I had this issue on a BMW following a dying battery being replaced.

If you’re seeing the same issue then it’s no good reprogramming the car to use a lesser battery imo. if the manufacturer spec’d a rating for your model and toys, then that’s what you should have fitted for reliability and peace of mind.

Swallows said the correct 80 a/h battery was fitted so it's not a lesser battery.

Elsa_jag

Post by Elsa_jag » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:43 am

Without going into the whole story, the main stealer who did the BMW said it was the same rating too. Luckily I had done some phoning around for prices so had physically written the spec down off the original battery. A physical check of the new battery showed the spec wasn’t a match.

Perhaps yours is just unlucky that the new battery is no good. It’s quite rare but possible. I’d be taking it back to whoever replaced it anyway.

If you have a multi meter you can do some basic checks (voltage at rest, voltage after standing overnight, input from charge system) quite easily satisfy yourself that the charging system is working.
Carl

Jaguar XE, MY17, ‘66 reg R-sport, 20d 180ps auto
Jaguar XJ, 1994 S, 3.2 auto
VW T25, 1981 Westfalia LHD, 2.0 Aircooled
VW T5, 2006 Kombi, 2.5 Auto

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:21 am

It is not just the Ah that matters such as 80Ah but also the CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage) If the number of plates is small in each cell then the CCA will be lower. Although this is more important for cold weather starting in may possibly alter the way the car recognises the battery, hence having the car matched to the battery.
R Sport 180D 2015

Swallows

Post by Swallows » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:25 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I have learned a lot, sometimes i wish for my older Jaguars, they were simpler in many ways, but I love my XE :)

Just today I drove my car today, no error message, seems like it was 'learning'. I am glad as this T4 lockdown is......

DABroke

Post by DABroke » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:01 am

It could be that the replacement battery might have been sat around for some time and was genuinely low. When I took delivery of my new XE in March last year I was getting repeated warnings of low battery for a number of days to the point where I invested in a CTek charger. After a number of days of normal usage and decent runs it all resolved with no further warnings.
MY20 Carpathian Grey P250 R-Dynamic HSE. Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Matrix Headlights, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Rear Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Configurable Dynamics, 360 Camera, Clearsight Mirror, Convenience Pack, Red Brake Calipers + load more stuff!