Jaguar XE Forum banner

Rattling noise when driving

12K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Dragos 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Me again! Not sure if I've put this under the right section to apologies!
I have noticed a rattling/clicking kind of noise coming from the left side of my car, doesn't seem to be coming from the rear from what I can tell... I have just got my car back from the dealership where I got them to look at a couple of other issues, I did mention this but apparently they couldn't hear it (not sure how it's very obvious!). I tend to only notice this at around 50mph+ It also depends on the road surface so I expect it to be a trim piece or something. I've had a search on here and everything else that I've come across I've had a look with no luck... anyone else have an idea as to what I can try?!
If anything I'll get someone else to drive along with me in the passenger seat to try and nail it down. Worst comes to worst I'll get another dealer to take a look

#27 ·
Dragos said:
leeham said:
Little update... doesn't seem to be the cause! Put some padding on the bolts to see how it would be and still had the rattle on the quick drive. Kind of sounds like it's coming from inside the passenger door which is interesting...
I had a rattle for about 3 month what I was sure come from inside passenger side. Sometime look like is coming from door, from A pillar, from under dashboard. I tried all suggestions, remove glove box to check if anything there, nothing. In the end I discovered that rattle come from passenger side wheel arch cover.
Thanks! I'll take a look at this. It was back at the dealer yesterday for them to look. Said that they adjusted a trim piece but it was still doing it!

#28 ·
I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the pax door / B pillar area.
It actually was an unused connector under the pax seat that was tapping against the underside seat pan. (photo below)

Maybe worth a look.
ATB
DD

#29 ·
Some interesting pointers in this thread.

I've had an annoying rattle that seemed to be coming from the passenger side B pillar for a while now.

I checked out the pad on the bonnet adjuster as mentioned previously and sure enough it had gone AWOL, but no witness marks.
I put some pads on but still had the rattle.

It always seemed an unlikely cause for my issue but sounds can travel in strange ways.

As a bit of a guess I pulled the passenger seatbelt out to full extension and let it snap back.
To my surprise this has actually fixed the problem, B pillar rattle gone.

#30 ·
leeham said:
Dragos said:
leeham said:
Little update... doesn't seem to be the cause! Put some padding on the bolts to see how it would be and still had the rattle on the quick drive. Kind of sounds like it's coming from inside the passenger door which is interesting...
I had a rattle for about 3 month what I was sure come from inside passenger side. Sometime look like is coming from door, from A pillar, from under dashboard. I tried all suggestions, remove glove box to check if anything there, nothing. In the end I discovered that rattle come from passenger side wheel arch cover.
Thanks! I'll take a look at this. It was back at the dealer yesterday for them to look. Said that they adjusted a trim piece but it was still doing it!
Try to tap slowly with fingers front wing around grille, should not come any rattle, my one was rattling when tapped , on driver side was no rattle, it is how I discovered. I fit some felt pads between plastic cover and wing, noise gone. If you want I will take a picture to see what I'm talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.