Bonnet not aligned with front bumper from factory

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
HARRIER

Re: Bonnet not aligned with front bumper from factory

Post by HARRIER » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:56 pm

So there I was today in the local Jaguar dealers killing time waiting for some work to be done on my XE.

I was looking at a brand new Jaguar XJ in the showroom at £ 80,000 plus.

The bonnet was so far out of line it was unbelievable. One side nearly 6mm and the other just under 2mm - it was so obvious - completely not aligned at the factory - yet there it was pride of place in the showroom.

Now I love my Jaguar XE but seeing this kind of quality on a quality brand - what on earth is going on? Looking around the XJ the shut lines were materially out everywhere no matter where you looked around the bonnet. Front, sides and by the windscreen.

To me this is totally unacceptable - this is not a one-off as has been stated many times in this forum on XE's - So the basic question is this:

If Jaguar is the premium brand it states to be - why does one see so much misalignment of bonnets, boots, doors, sills - I do not see this on other premium brands or basic car brands ..........so why Jaguar then?

Oh and I would like an XJ - but would flat refuse to buy one if I saw that in the showroom.
Jaguar XE 240 Petrol Sport, Glacier White, Venom Alloys, Black Pack & quite a few extras

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:44 pm

The dealers should be spotting this and either correcting them (as per the DIY fix earlier in this thread) or rejecting them before they go on display.

What we don't know is how many other brands arrive at dealers like this but are corrected or rejected before display (though not many I suspect).

Mine is a 2015 XE just in for the boot/bumper clash fix, we got it November last year with ultra low mileage, the boot however as well as the clash was misaligned with the nearside standing a bit proud of the body and the rear lights not being aligned. This vehicle has been through two dealers (the original and the one we purchased it from) but nothing had been done to correct it, it's being fixed at the same time along with very badly fitting trim seals around the rear lights and boot opening.

So yes I agree it shouldn't really be happening, but it hasn't put us off Jaguar lol.
Current XF RSport 180 MY19 in Corris Grey (no heated steering wheel :o )

Previous XE R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot, electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

HARRIER

Post by HARRIER » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:40 am

DavidW - thanks and understand what you say.

Even allowing grace for the Dealers meant to be putting such matters right and then they do not and put the car out - where's the PDI quality control, where's the pride, obviously just not there in all these alignment cases. To me this is a quality issue Jaguar has...factory and dealerships - I'd have expected it in the 1970's with British Leyland but that's cave man days as far as car development goes and quality control.

I like Jaguar LandRover products but this sloppy output is unforgivable and an embarrassment for the brand.
Jaguar XE 240 Petrol Sport, Glacier White, Venom Alloys, Black Pack & quite a few extras

PeterX90

Post by PeterX90 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:08 am

Is it a basic design fault or sloppy procedures of construction.? Certainly there is a complete lack of quality control but JLR appear to be not bothered about all the fuss. As one salesman told me the 3 year warranty deals with these issues so it's OK. Unlike the two previous messages, my constant list of faults and the arrogant lack of concern by JLR has put me off the brand and mine will be off loaded asap.

StillStanding

Post by StillStanding » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I picked up a 6th month old XE last week. Today I noticed that my bonnet/front alignment is identical to mpercib. Tight on the offside front, wide on the nearside front, and slightly out height-wise as well.

It is terrible that they come out of the factory like this, but the dealer's Jaguar Approved 165 multi-point inspection certificate includes "panel alignment/fit". Presumably the dealer should have checked before the original sale.

How much else is never actually checked but down to owners to find?

It is of course very hard to go over a car at the dealer before signing on the dotted line, in my case there was torrential rain when I picked it up. Over the past week of exploring the forums I've come across a number of issues recurring.

Maybe someone could compile a list of common faults like this as a sticky for pre-purchase inspection?
XE Portforlio 2.0L 200PS Petrol Fienza Red, parking pack, folding mirrors, spacesaver spare wheel, 40:20:40 folding rear seat, probably more I haven't found yet

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 am

@StillStanding,

The bonnet / front bumper alignment can be remedied as described in Late for Tea's post immediately following mpercib's. It sounds like pretty easy to DIY. Height-wise, the rubber stops under the leading edge of the boonet may also require a little adjustment (loosening or tightening) for a perfect bonnet / front bumper alignment.

Could you please amplify a bit more on the 'issues recurring' that you've come across?

Many thanks in anticipation.

robertW

Post by robertW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 am

My experience is that the hood needs dropping through the last 400mm (approx.) of the closure, to seat exactly in position - noisy but necessary.
Gentle lowering onto the stop position with a final push to engage the latch, on my XE, does latch the hood securely but doesn't always result in precise alignment.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:05 am

This subject hasn't surfaced for a while and haven't seen any complaints in the last year or so the general fit and finish seems to be good.
But as it's a used car there are possibilities the front end has been off for repair (mine had to come off for headlamp washer replacement) but if it is very noticeable then as has been posted previously the fix is very simple and quick and should be sorted by the dealer who sold you the car.
Current: 2017 XE S 380, Storm grey Pics black pack and a few more bits.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

mpercib

Post by mpercib » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 pm

My dealer happily corrected the alignment of the hood and valence during 1st year service visit and it looked good for a while although fixing X kind of threw off Y a little but overall it was a definite improvement. Since that time I have noticed that it is related to dropping the hood as the "gaps" can vary every time you drop the hood but it has never returned to the original ugliness that was first observed. I am convinced it is related. In any case this is a very minor concern and as the XE approaches its 2nd year service visit in May it has performed admirably with no issues that have interfered with the ownership experience and is still a joy to get into and motor.
Jaguar XE, MY 2017, 3.5t, R-Sport, IRR, Jet/ Red, 20" Propellers w/ red calipers, Al paddle shifters, splash guards, sport pedal covers, dead pedal foot rest, tinted glass, interior trim upgrade, re-badged to R Sport.

Xephil

Post by Xephil » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:11 pm

After hours of work. There are six points of adjustment.

2 little screws close to the back end of the bonnet which help aligning heigth there and at the diagonal/opposite side in the front. The hooks which hold the bonnet and least but not last the rubber stops, which mainly create some hold so that everything is tight.

IMG_20180428_134303777_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180428_134311831_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180428_134421574_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180428_134400047_HDR.jpg

Jaguar XE 20d R-Sport

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”