"Clunk" noise from roof over drivers shoulder

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
JohnI

Re: "Clunk" noise from roof over drivers shoulder

Post by JohnI » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

I too am hearing an occasional clunk from over my shoulder, which in my case occurs when car body is liable to twist, but not over normal bumps in the road. Roof lining has been investigated but no fault found. Body repair shop thinks it may be a rear damper which needs lubrication. Has anyone found a cure yet?
2015 Portfolio 180D Bluefire, Oyster, pano, rear camera, heated rear seats

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:46 pm

JohnI wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm
I too am hearing an occasional clunk from over my shoulder, which in my case occurs when car body is liable to twist, but not over normal bumps in the road. Roof lining has been investigated but no fault found. Body repair shop thinks it may be a rear damper which needs lubrication. Has anyone found a cure yet?
Someone else has recently had a rear damper fixing point lubricated/tightened but I cannot remember the thread.

smp1

Post by smp1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi Guy's

I'm new to the forum but have had an xe for just over two years. Unfortunately it was the worst car I have ever had but I stuck with it and after about 10 visits to the dealer it is nearly there....oh and about £8k in warranty bills!

Just one thing I also have the roof clunk and am looking for any ideas on how to fix it. The dealer is unable to even agree there is a fault.

The noise is like an acorn or sometimes a conker hitting the roof. Loudest noise seems to occur when the roof is hot but it also happens when the roof is cold and seems to require rear suspension movement. Noise is behind driver in multiple places due to I think roof metal flexing, The same noise occurs when the car is left in the sun and the roof expands with temperature.

I also think my ride quality is not as good as any other xe I have driven and I have a rear damp misting but not bad enough to have it changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

JohnI

Post by JohnI » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 am

Lubrication of the rear damper has made a large improvement in the number of occasions when I hear the clunk. Apart from the fact that my noise occurred with body movement, I would not have thought the noise was coming from the suspension. My conclusion is that noises travel through the car structure making location of the problem tricky. My problem was not related to temperature.
2015 Portfolio 180D Bluefire, Oyster, pano, rear camera, heated rear seats

smp1

Post by smp1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am

Thank you Johnl,

I have inspected the rear mounts. One was well lubricated (I think because damper is leaking) and the other completely dry. I have lubricated them and done one test drive. Unfortunately there seems to be little to no improvement, maybe noise volume is lower.

I also have a very low level rattle from inside the c pillar (drivers side) between the inner and outer metal panels. Might be related???

Oh for info my dealer cannot hear the noise and has stated that they will charge me for any time spent if they cannot find any faults!!

I also have a loud fuel pump wine after about 3/4 hr driving is this normal? Again the dealer cannot hear it!

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:35 am

smp1 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am
Thank you Johnl,

I have inspected the rear mounts. One was well lubricated (I think because damper is leaking) and the other completely dry. I have lubricated them and done one test drive. Unfortunately there seems to be little to no improvement, maybe noise volume is lower.

I also have a very low level rattle from inside the c pillar (drivers side) between the inner and outer metal panels. Might be related???

Oh for info my dealer cannot hear the noise and has stated that they will charge me for any time spent if they cannot find any faults!!

I also have a loud fuel pump wine after about 3/4 hr driving is this normal? Again the dealer cannot hear it!
Find time to visit another dealer as this one obviously is one of those bum dealers that crop up on here from time to time.

smp1

Post by smp1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi vespa,

Yes I have, fuel pump being changed Tuesday but now the USB stick has stopped working (for the second time) when driving back from alternative dealer.....One day I might get all the faults fixed and hopefully before the warranty runs out :(

Roof bang might be roof side joints (under plastic cover) that are either side of the roof. Dealer will try and find out how to remover the covers

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi all,

Only just seen this tread, I have the clunk in the roof too. I'm convinced it is the outer roof panel coming unstuck from the cross members of the body. It sounds like a conker being thrown at the roof, as already mentioned and is especially noticeable in the hot weather. It's at the dealer as we speak for the annual service and I have explained the noise to the service manager, so hopefully they will fix it.

Barrie
XE 20T 200ps Prestige. Rhodium Silver.

malawbrook

Post by malawbrook » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:05 pm

I too get the clunking noise from the roof. Worse in hot weather, and usually when driving over uneven road surface. I suspect that the body is flexing, and there is something loose. I don't think I will mention it to the agents, because they will probably not believe me!