"Clunk" noise from roof over drivers shoulder

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Denver50

"Clunk" noise from roof over drivers shoulder

Post by Denver50 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi guys, new to this forum. Living in Dublin. Bought my demo XE last August and overall ,just love it. Drive is superb. However there is an intermittent (and annoying) " clunk" coming from roof over drivers shoulder. Had it back to Dealership last October but they failed to replicate noise. Was less noticeable during Winter. But once Summer came, it was back. More pronounced after car had been sitting in strong sunlight.... sounds like metal/ aluminium or whatever contracting/ expanding as car cools after being driven. Back to Dealership again but unable to replicate. By the way, I don't have a sunroof. Has anyone experienced this noise. Would really appreciate any thoughts / help. Regards.

Deleted User 732

Re: "Clunk" noise from roof over drivers shoulder

Post by Deleted User 732 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 am

It could be something as simple as the upper fixing bolt for the seat belt not fully tightened allowing the very slight movement in differing temps.

Denver50

Post by Denver50 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks Vespa, however I have checked everything in the general area as indeed has the Dealer. Noise is similar to what you might hear at home after you turn your central heating off and you get an odd " clunk" as pipes start to cool down and either expand or contract. When I first noticed it was shortly after getting the car and it had been in very warm sunlight for circa 2-3 hours. When I got into the car, I turned on the Max Air con to cool down car but there was such a noise coming from roof (seemed over drivers shoulder) that I turned it off..... sounded like someone was hitting the roof with twigs/ stones. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:27 pm

i think i have something very similar, but i haven't been able to demonstrate it to a dealer, and they haven't been able to replicate it.
Is it a very low volume clunk ? For me, it doesn't seem to come from the roof a bit lower, and it is a single clunk. i thought it was the glass in the door moving originally. Now it feels like the door is flexing or something. It happens at slow speed for me, normally as i set off or come to a halt, or go around a corner or something. I haven't observed it at speed

I didn't have this noise originally. But it developed after a service, where they fixed another rattle. :roll:

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Do you have an XE model with a moonroof? (I think Vespa mentioned this in a previous thread somewhere). Where the headliner panel meets the B-pillar and meets the sunblind (if you have a sunroof), tiny clips hold the entire ceiling in place over your head.
If anytime during the demo car was kept in the showroom, the techs had a need to unsnap the headliner, do some “whatever”, and snap the headliner back into place, the snaps are VERY snug and the technicians easily mis-attach the headliner (or lose a snap somewhere in the process). From that point forward, your headliner creaks or a failed snap keeps shifting.

Removing and properly re-installing the morzine headliner (and replacing any lost snaps) was all that was needed.

Was that one of your posts, Vespa? Or did I read it from someone else on this forum?
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I do have the moon roof ! How would I check if the panel is loose. Would it move or click if I were to push it or is it best to take it to the dealer ?

Interestingly while trying to find the source if the noise I found that pushing on the right side of the bonnet near where it meets the front panel would give a clunk. There was some give there. And only on the right side. When I was at a dealer I walked around pushing the bonnets on a few cars ! And found that most of them had this bit of give but not always on the same side. The dealer had to reseat some seals or realign the bonnet on mine but its fine now.

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 pm

I was very nervous about owning a luxury performance vehicle for the first time in my car experience… so when the manual said “inspect the following fluids under the bonnet WEEKLY”, I did. After opening the bonnet 8 weeks in a row, I noticed the bonnet “seems” to behave as if it has TWO latching positions. If I drop the bonnet from a height of 5 or 6 inches, the two claws DO latch, but I will drive around town with a haunting rattling noise coming from under the floor near my feet (or so it sounds).

On the other hand, if I drop the bonnet from more than 6 inches, it latches loudly, but feels tight, and there’s no rattling sound as I drive. Does that mean the bonnet doesn’t engage the latch fully? I don’t know. But try this technique on yours, and see if there’s any difference.

As for the moonroof?
I discovered how loose my headliner was by closing the sunblind all the way shut, inspecting the closeness of the sunblind fabric all around the opening (the gap between the lip of the ceiling and the sunblind fabric should be almost constantly the same, not widening anywhere),… and when I opened the sunblind and tugged slightly on the lip of the roof opening…the headliner popped away from the opening. Mine was that loose. This wasn’t a factory fault---I know the first service center took the ceiling down to address a problem, so I know they just didn’t resecure it properly.

I tried slowly but firmly pressing it back myself. It feels as if snaps are located 2 or 3 per each side of the roof opening, but they are hidden inside there somewhere and VERY tight to get the whole rim of the opening to click into place----maybe the mechanic just gave up and left the ceiling slightly unfastened.
But I’d keep hearing it pop and creak when driving, and I could tell whenever the sunshade was fully closed, that there was a very larger gap between the fabric of the sunshade and the lip of the opening when I looked to the back of the opening, compared with when I looked at the front edge of the opening near my flip-down sunvisors. It just wasn’t staying up tight against the roof opening any longer.

Only a visit to a different Jaguar service center resulted in an explanation on my receipt saying that headliner was reinstalled and one “clip” missing—replaced under warranty. No further noise.
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 am

I did try dropping the bonnet from a bit higher..effectively slamming it shut and it made no difference. It seems ok now. Interestingly all the other cars in the service centre except a 17 plate one had this loose bonnet either on the left or right side.

Thanks for the tip on the sunroof and the detailed explanation. I will check this ou. I probably need to take it to a different dealer who will take a fresh look at the rattle. I think my regular guys have given up on it after a couple of attempts. :D

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 am

Fred the moonroof noise was from the plastic trim between glass and blind that fits between both. Just press it gently all round and you will hear the loose clips click into place.

Denver50

Post by Denver50 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks guys, but No, I don't have a moonroof.... difficulty is replicating it to a Dealership. Fred, your ' sounds / noise" may be similar albeit from a slightly different area. Keep the ideas coming guys as they are all very much appreciated in an effort to solve. Many thanks.