Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
mickeyb

Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Post by mickeyb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi All,
My problem with my 66 reg.XE 2.0lt RS Auto which I have had for 10 months from new is that it is loosing fluid from the reservoir?.I have kept details and cutting a long story short it does approx.100 miles and it looses approx. 1 litre of screenwash.It has been back to the dealers twice but they assure me that there is no leak atall.They told me to contact Jaguar direct which I have done but have received no action as they say that they have not had ANY/SUFFICIENT problems of this sort!!.Is there anybody out there who has had similar problems as I feel like I am banging my head against a brickwall and there is definitely a fault.
Thanks in anticipation
Mickey B.(Market Warsop)

147daytona

Re: Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Post by 147daytona » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Have you got headlight washers and also if you fill it up and leave it standing, say overnight, does it lose any fluid?
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Andyteign

Post by Andyteign » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:38 pm

As Daytona says if you have Xenon lights you have a headlamp wash system, it could be this using it as it is automatic. Have you checked under the car for damp patches after parking it up overnight? That should soon tell you if you have a leak.
R-Sport 180 in Caesium Blue

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

One of my previous cars that had headlight washers needed continually topping up. It turned out a pipe that connects to the headlamp washer jet behind the bumper had a tiny split in it and because the washer jet was at a lower level than the washer bottle, gravity meant the fluid would constantly drip away.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I've got same suspicions about my washer bottle etc, keep getting Washer Fluid Low despite having topped it up... car is off for some warranty work so have asked them to investigate...
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Quick update, having got the car back, I wasn't told what was sorted, but got low washer fluid again. Having put nearly 5L in it and then topped it up - no leaks under the car... I then tested the system, the headlight washers were popping up ok, then I noticed a large amount of washer fluid dripping from under the passenger side corner of the car, looks like I may have a leak after all! Am happy in a way as at least that can be sorted, vs unexplained fluid loss!!
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi Guys/Gals
I have a 66 XE Caesium blue 2.0R-Sport...love it! (7k miles)
I have the screen washer bottle issue. It is dumping 600ml of washer fluid overnight and more during the day. It has lost a full 5 litres in one day on 3 occasions!
I've noticed (can't miss to be honest) Water pouring out of the bottom of the offside wing section and also nearside floor pan area underneath the headlight washer area but the whole underfloor tray is soaked.
I have photographic evidence and a daily log of journey details and fluid loss.
All pipework to washer jets are fitted and showing no leaks so my guess at the moment is a split fluid tank which leaks when flexed.
Jaguar service centre hav'n't been able to find the problem but have agreed to investigate further which (i'm advised) may mean the outer wing will have to be removed.
Has there been any conclusive (and common) evidence as to what the problem is so i can give them some idea?
Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Some have reported leaks from pipework on the headlight washers if you have them. I think that the bottle is accessable from underneath removing the inner wheelarch lining. It is held in place with a lug and 2 screws.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 am

Vespa wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Some have reported leaks from pipework on the headlight washers if you have them. I think that the bottle is accessable from underneath removing the inner wheelarch lining. It is held in place with a lug and 2 screws.
Yep, Chas had his done so no wing removal.
Another topic on the same subject with pics on page 2.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5198
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 am

I have been thinking about this one and wonder how old affected cars are. My reasoning is that I know many people around me never use an anti freeze washer additive in their washer reservoirs. I still see them pouring hot water over frozen screens and seen many go pop. Now the XE washer bottle is in a cold part of the car between inner and outer body work. It is also quite a thin item and could be easily frozen in cold weather if no antifreeze additive is used. This would cause the water/ underpowered antifreeze mix to freeze and crack the bottle's casing. It wouldn't need long for this to happen either at -3c or less. many of these cars were used by reps and company car users and many of those use it as a car from A-B. That usually means taking very little care of it other than the basics. These type of drivers are quite common. Two years ago my neighbours son was given a BMW M3 as a company car. He never does anything to the cars he gets. It was a very nice car and I said to my wife that I would give him a month before he crashed it. Well it was 3 days before he wrote it off. He now has another lesser BMW and it is in the usual state of "Shit", filthy and driven like a madman. I asked him many times about servicing and general topping up and the answer was when the lights come on is when it's done. So some poor sod will get his thrashed about heap around two years after it was registered and think they have a nice car. How many XE's have had similar treatment over the past two years or so?? Does make you wonder.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”