Jaguar XE Forum banner

Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

32K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  Craigdm 
#1 ·
Hi All,
My problem with my 66 reg.XE 2.0lt RS Auto which I have had for 10 months from new is that it is loosing fluid from the reservoir?.I have kept details and cutting a long story short it does approx.100 miles and it looses approx. 1 litre of screenwash.It has been back to the dealers twice but they assure me that there is no leak atall.They told me to contact Jaguar direct which I have done but have received no action as they say that they have not had ANY/SUFFICIENT problems of this sort!!.Is there anybody out there who has had similar problems as I feel like I am banging my head against a brickwall and there is definitely a fault.
Thanks in anticipation
Mickey B.(Market Warsop)

#3 ·
As Daytona says if you have Xenon lights you have a headlamp wash system, it could be this using it as it is automatic. Have you checked under the car for damp patches after parking it up overnight? That should soon tell you if you have a leak.

#4 ·
One of my previous cars that had headlight washers needed continually topping up. It turned out a pipe that connects to the headlamp washer jet behind the bumper had a tiny split in it and because the washer jet was at a lower level than the washer bottle, gravity meant the fluid would constantly drip away.

#5 ·
I've got same suspicions about my washer bottle etc, keep getting Washer Fluid Low despite having topped it up... car is off for some warranty work so have asked them to investigate...

#6 ·
Quick update, having got the car back, I wasn't told what was sorted, but got low washer fluid again. Having put nearly 5L in it and then topped it up - no leaks under the car... I then tested the system, the headlight washers were popping up ok, then I noticed a large amount of washer fluid dripping from under the passenger side corner of the car, looks like I may have a leak after all! Am happy in a way as at least that can be sorted, vs unexplained fluid loss!!

#7 ·
Hi Guys/Gals
I have a 66 XE Caesium blue 2.0R-Sport...love it! (7k miles)
I have the screen washer bottle issue. It is dumping 600ml of washer fluid overnight and more during the day. It has lost a full 5 litres in one day on 3 occasions!
I've noticed (can't miss to be honest) Water pouring out of the bottom of the offside wing section and also nearside floor pan area underneath the headlight washer area but the whole underfloor tray is soaked.
I have photographic evidence and a daily log of journey details and fluid loss.
All pipework to washer jets are fitted and showing no leaks so my guess at the moment is a split fluid tank which leaks when flexed.
Jaguar service centre hav'n't been able to find the problem but have agreed to investigate further which (i'm advised) may mean the outer wing will have to be removed.
Has there been any conclusive (and common) evidence as to what the problem is so i can give them some idea?
Many thanks for your assistance in advance.

G
#8 ·
Some have reported leaks from pipework on the headlight washers if you have them. I think that the bottle is accessable from underneath removing the inner wheelarch lining. It is held in place with a lug and 2 screws.

#9 ·
Vespa said:
Some have reported leaks from pipework on the headlight washers if you have them. I think that the bottle is accessable from underneath removing the inner wheelarch lining. It is held in place with a lug and 2 screws.
Yep, Chas had his done so no wing removal.
Another topic on the same subject with pics on page 2.

https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5198

G
#10 ·
I have been thinking about this one and wonder how old affected cars are. My reasoning is that I know many people around me never use an anti freeze washer additive in their washer reservoirs. I still see them pouring hot water over frozen screens and seen many go pop. Now the XE washer bottle is in a cold part of the car between inner and outer body work. It is also quite a thin item and could be easily frozen in cold weather if no antifreeze additive is used. This would cause the water/ underpowered antifreeze mix to freeze and crack the bottle's casing. It wouldn't need long for this to happen either at -3c or less. many of these cars were used by reps and company car users and many of those use it as a car from A-B. That usually means taking very little care of it other than the basics. These type of drivers are quite common. Two years ago my neighbours son was given a BMW M3 as a company car. He never does anything to the cars he gets. It was a very nice car and I said to my wife that I would give him a month before he crashed it. Well it was 3 days before he wrote it off. He now has another lesser BMW and it is in the usual state of "Shit", filthy and driven like a madman. I asked him many times about servicing and general topping up and the answer was when the lights come on is when it's done. So some poor sod will get his thrashed about heap around two years after it was registered and think they have a nice car. How many XE's have had similar treatment over the past two years or so?? Does make you wonder.

#11 ·
Astonatic said:
Hi Guys/Gals
I have a 66 XE Caesium blue 2.0R-Sport...love it! (7k miles)
I have the screen washer bottle issue. It is dumping 600ml of washer fluid overnight and more during the day. It has lost a full 5 litres in one day on 3 occasions!
I've noticed (can't miss to be honest) Water pouring out of the bottom of the offside wing section and also nearside floor pan area underneath the headlight washer area but the whole underfloor tray is soaked.
I have photographic evidence and a daily log of journey details and fluid loss.
All pipework to washer jets are fitted and showing no leaks so my guess at the moment is a split fluid tank which leaks when flexed.
Jaguar service centre hav'n't been able to find the problem but have agreed to investigate further which (i'm advised) may mean the outer wing will have to be removed.
Has there been any conclusive (and common) evidence as to what the problem is so i can give them some idea?
Many thanks for your assistance in advance.
Mine is also leaking from the offside area, like you I have taken photos and have quite a bit of evidence now. The car will be going back to Jaguar again for them to have another look as it's not good enough!! I wouldn't have thought it was the washer bottle at fault as that is over the other side of the car... My money is on the headlamp wash system...

#12 ·
Hi, Thanks for posting.
I'm losing 650ml every day if i go out and 150mm when stationary. I noticed after a journey on Saturday that although the lid was correctly sealed on the washer bottle . the inner wing was drenched, rear of head lights wet and water had been pouring thro' the inner wheel arch airflow disrupter down to the ground. This isnt happening on the passenger side. Its in Jaguar's on Tuesday so hopefully it will be sorted. I'll let you know. Cheers.

#13 ·
Jaguar had car for 2 days. Confirmed my findings and also replicated on brand new XE which had just been delivered. Dealers have raised the issue with Jaguar who advise that this problem has not been reported. I'd insist all owners with this problem complain and ask for it to be raised with Jaguar.
Having analysed the problem and possible causes I'm going to try an experiment. I have a theory it may be siphoning and I think I know why.

#14 ·
Yeah I think it is an un-reported fault and also believe it to be siphoning. With any luck there will be a TSB along shortly if we all complain about it! Am going to get my car booked back in for another look by Grange. I am going to insist it goes back to Jaguar for further investigation if they can't find it this time as I have multiple photos of it wetting itself all over the floor now... ;)

I reckon it's the headlamp wash system causing the issue - perhaps it needs an NRV fitting before the headlamp wash or something...?

G
#15 ·
I have just filled up my washer bottle with around 500 mls after 3 usages over 4 days. If there is siphoning can you please explain how it is working as I would think 500 mls would be about right for the amount sent to the screen (possibly also a lamp wash). I am not implying you are wrong as I am just curious. I don't have any seepage under my car and think that the bottle is just not big enough compared with some other cars and their systems. The VW Passat I had used a fan spray over the screen and that was very economical on washer fluid. It also had what seemed a bigger reservoir. The XE seems to spray quite a lot of wash liquid with just a small press and seems to be timed.

#16 ·
Not sure about OP but I'm losing about 4-5L... :shock: See exhibit A, B, C & D - it is definitely leaking and the fact it keeps on going suggests it is siphoning as there are no pumps audibly running... I reckon once it gets started having been primed by pumps a leaky jet/pipe means it just keeps on going... Have just booked it in again with Grange on 12th Dec for another look... (pics dated 29 Sep, 19 Oct, 30 Oct - 2nd to bottom pic was after parking and getting stuff from boot, bottom pic was after being stood for only 10 mins!)

#18 ·
#19 ·
Can I now join this club please?
Mine is dripping from the undertray on the front nearside as well.
Nothing like as bad as Mistral Blue's - I'm getting a drip a minute so it should take a week or two to empty!
:lol:
I last used mine on Thursday evening and had to use the washers a couple of times so got the headlamp wash.
I'm thinking back but that could have been the first time the headlamp washers have functioned on mine so I'm convinced that's the culprit.
It's in the right place inline with the washer and no leaking prior to that.
Definitely washer fluid as it's smells of the purple fruity Halfords stuff I use.

Going to open up the wheelarch liner when I get a chance and try and see what's going on.

#20 ·
Went down to the dealer's this morning and mine is booked in for next Monday.
They have ordered a couple of new washer units in anticipation.
Mine has now slowed right down so the thinking is that the headlamp washers aren't closing properly after spraying.
Depending on how much would depend if you get a drip or a dribble or it dumps the whole bottle.
There was a comment that the design had been changed so I'll dig into that a bit more next week.

#21 ·
Another week and a total of 8.4litres of washer fluid lost since it was looked at by Jaguar in Gt Dunmow.
They have been unable to locate the leak but have confirmed that the same problem exists with a brand new car that had just come in.
Warranty doesn't cover investigative work (and dealer's did it for free, many thanks to Taylor's) but a report has been submitted Jaguar reporting channels.........
There is definitely water escaping from the filler cap. I cant see Jaguar resolving this in a reasonable time so i'm going to obtain a UV leak detection fluid and take it from there...
Thanks for all your comments and help. There is a problem and it should be sorted. The more we complain and make sure the dealers report it thro the system then eventually the system should flag a problem. and then hopefully a recall/fix
Cheers
Eian

#22 ·
May have uncovered the problem.....once i'm convinced the fix/solution ive used works and there isnt more than one problem going on..... Usual 22 mile round trip and so far today ive had no fluid loss.
I'll run with the fix and then remove it to prove it. Not sure if its a design/manufacture flaw or a part is missing from a component!
There may be a procedure that should be adhered to as well
Happy weekend all

G
#23 ·
Hi all,

I posted about washer fluid loss from the front nearside headlamp washer back in August, just before we went on holiday. It carried on leaking for a while whilst on holiday then has appeared to have stopped loosing it from this point.

However it then started loosing washer fluid from them the reserve area with it coming from under the car around the offside front wing near the drivers door. That seems to have stoped.

However another fault has developed on the washer system in that it ran down, the warning light came on and refused to extinguish when refilled. The first time it did this I emptied the system and refilled this cleared the low level warning light. Anyway a couple of weeks ago the warning light came on again. It's still there even when the system is full.

A very annoying niggle. Need to book it in to the dealer.

#24 ·
Ok heres an update.
Played around with various ideas but inconclusive as to cause.
I have had very good success tho with reducing fluid loss.
1. Do not fill right upto top of filler tube. (fill up to top of bottle only) you can see level thro the gap in the wing panel.
2. ive fitted a simple "device" to the inside of the filler neck.
Yes, it is a top from a plastic milk bottle!! Please no jokes as to whether its full fat!!! :D

250 mile round trip in horrid weather, road salt etc so washers used a lot total fluid used 1.3 litres which I can believe was used and not lost!

Ive had it fitted over a week now and this seems to be working quite well.

I'll update as more data becomes available

[

Attachments

#25 ·
My car has been in and fixed, I'm trying to get more detail (the missus collected the car) but I believe they replaced the washer bottle and a headlight pump (not sure if there is one per side or what), will post the full details when I have them

#26 ·
mistral_blue said:
My car has been in and fixed, I'm trying to get more detail (the missus collected the car) but I believe they replaced the washer bottle and a headlight pump (not sure if there is one per side or what), will post the full details when I have them
Mine is going in in a couple of weeks to have both the headlight washer units replaced.
Thinking being the seals on one are not working properly so it drips for a while after being used.
Murmurs of "new design" whilst booking it in but I'll try and find out more once it's done.
I'm told it's a two day job as the front end has to come off !
I was thinking wheelarch out and undertray off but obviously not!
There are two pumps on the side of the washer bottle, one for the screen and another for the headlamps.
Apparently the headlamp washers are controlled by a big green 20amp fuse in the little box by the red jump connection under the bonnet.
But I could comment any more on that.......... :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.