Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Astonatic

Re: Windscreen Washer Fluid Loss

Post by Astonatic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Another week and a total of 8.4litres of washer fluid lost since it was looked at by Jaguar in Gt Dunmow.
They have been unable to locate the leak but have confirmed that the same problem exists with a brand new car that had just come in.
Warranty doesn't cover investigative work (and dealer's did it for free, many thanks to Taylor's) but a report has been submitted Jaguar reporting channels.........
There is definitely water escaping from the filler cap. I cant see Jaguar resolving this in a reasonable time so i'm going to obtain a UV leak detection fluid and take it from there...
Thanks for all your comments and help. There is a problem and it should be sorted. The more we complain and make sure the dealers report it thro the system then eventually the system should flag a problem. and then hopefully a recall/fix
Cheers
Eian

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:58 pm

May have uncovered the problem.....once i'm convinced the fix/solution ive used works and there isnt more than one problem going on..... Usual 22 mile round trip and so far today ive had no fluid loss.
I'll run with the fix and then remove it to prove it. Not sure if its a design/manufacture flaw or a part is missing from a component!
There may be a procedure that should be adhered to as well
Happy weekend all

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:43 am

Hi all,

I posted about washer fluid loss from the front nearside headlamp washer back in August, just before we went on holiday. It carried on leaking for a while whilst on holiday then has appeared to have stopped loosing it from this point.

However it then started loosing washer fluid from them the reserve area with it coming from under the car around the offside front wing near the drivers door. That seems to have stoped.

However another fault has developed on the washer system in that it ran down, the warning light came on and refused to extinguish when refilled. The first time it did this I emptied the system and refilled this cleared the low level warning light. Anyway a couple of weeks ago the warning light came on again. It’s still there even when the system is full.

A very annoying niggle. Need to book it in to the dealer.
Current XF RSport 180 MY19 in Corris Grey (no heated steering wheel :o )

Previous XE R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot, electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Ok heres an update.
Played around with various ideas but inconclusive as to cause.
I have had very good success tho with reducing fluid loss.
1. Do not fill right upto top of filler tube. (fill up to top of bottle only) you can see level thro the gap in the wing panel.
2. ive fitted a simple "device" to the inside of the filler neck.
Yes, it is a top from a plastic milk bottle!! Please no jokes as to whether its full fat!!! :D

250 mile round trip in horrid weather, road salt etc so washers used a lot total fluid used 1.3 litres which I can believe was used and not lost!

Ive had it fitted over a week now and this seems to be working quite well.

I'll update as more data becomes available

[[img][/i

IMG_0233.JPG

mg]

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:36 pm

My car has been in and fixed, I'm trying to get more detail (the missus collected the car) but I believe they replaced the washer bottle and a headlight pump (not sure if there is one per side or what), will post the full details when I have them
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:40 am

mistral_blue wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:36 pm
My car has been in and fixed, I'm trying to get more detail (the missus collected the car) but I believe they replaced the washer bottle and a headlight pump (not sure if there is one per side or what), will post the full details when I have them
Mine is going in in a couple of weeks to have both the headlight washer units replaced.
Thinking being the seals on one are not working properly so it drips for a while after being used.
Murmurs of "new design" whilst booking it in but I'll try and find out more once it's done.
I'm told it's a two day job as the front end has to come off !
I was thinking wheelarch out and undertray off but obviously not!
There are two pumps on the side of the washer bottle, one for the screen and another for the headlamps.
Apparently the headlamp washers are controlled by a big green 20amp fuse in the little box by the red jump connection under the bonnet.
But I could comment any more on that.......... 8-)
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:39 pm

PhilB - would be interested to know when the factory fix will be in place.
My new car will probably be built mid to late January
Thanks for info gathering.....
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

mistral_blue

Post by mistral_blue » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

I may have spoken too soon of it being fixed by the Dealer... Took it on a long run yesterday and what should come up as we set off but Washer Fluid low again... Don't think I've used 5L of the stuff yet by any means, going to check the levels and monitor it for another month. If it continues it will be firmly thrown back at the dealer with a "don't give it me back until it's DEFINITELY fixed"
XE S - Ultimate Black + Ebony/Oyster seats + 19" Venoms. ICT Pro, 10x10 seats, Panoramic roof, 40:20:40 rear seats, Power mirrors and steering column, APA Pack + Surround Camera, Adaptive Lighting/Cold Climate/Road Technology (HUD/ACC) Packs

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm

It beggars belief that a manufacturer can’t get a simple thing like this right... after all, windscreen and headlamp washers have only been around for about 50 years
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Astonatic

Post by Astonatic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 pm

I've not had to top mine up now since the "mod" with the milk carton screw cap. I don't fully understand why this is working but it is. It seems to points towards a Venturi principle issue but i'm not convinced.
The filler cap doesnt seem to have been designed to seal like other caps with a small breather hole. Sealing the filler cap with a washer didn't resolve the issue but reducing the restricting the air flow does.
I'm meeting dealer's this week to discuss where we go from here.

Any boffins out there want to have a go at why this is working?

Happy New Year

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”