Jaguar XE Forum banner

Drivers seat

16K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
My XE has covered 5k miles and I have noticed recently that the drivers seat the part you sit on is getting a bit baggy.I realise this is sometimes a natural thing with leather however I am a lightweight and cant imagine what the seat will be like in say 20k miles ...has anyone had a problem like this and do you think it would be covered under warranty. Just thought I would ask before I visit the dealer.

#2 ·
It's quite a common thing but it probably won't be a warranty job.
I seem to remember someone getting it treated to tighten it up by steaming it?
Have a word with your dealer anyway as they might be able to advise you.

Now waiting for some wag to suggest botox.................. :mrgreen:

#8 ·
PhilB is correct about the treatment.

Also, avoid using the leather cleaner you get in that small bottle from Jaguar. It's one of the cleaners that "makes your leather soft and supple" over time, and---yuck, I don't think that's the best idea for these seats.

There is a famous cleaner called Gliptone, that specifically does the REVERSE. It cleans and TIGHTENS the leather back to its original firmness (and it works, pulls all the creases and wrinkles out of my driver's seat).

Even so, I've noticed in the winter weather, it starts to take even longer to tighten back to original shape. Gliptone is the product that solves my sag. :|

#10 ·
Good catch, Richmond.

It's GLIGT-1208. Marketed in a small black bottle as "Gliptone Leather Cleaner with Glycerine".

Nice, subtle "fresh factory" smell without leaving your cabin smelling like a "luxury" leather shop.

#12 ·
:p It's around in your side of the ocean. Though I see it's gone "currently not available" on Amazon UK's site:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gliptone-Leather-Care-Combination-Kit/dp/B003VV423G

I've read about the Gliptone Intensive Cleaner, and it sounds more "aggressive" than their 1208 cleaner. The Gliptone 1208 is so mild you can sponge it on your seats every weekend if you like (nearly an absolute requirement when you have the Oyster leather). The 1208 was able to remove an ink stain from my leather, but I had to leave it dabbed full-strength on for a whole day---I can't picture the 1208 cleaner accomplishing what Gliptone says their 'intensive cleaner' will do.

And the 1208 Cleaner never says anything about leaving you with nice "soft leather". Customers tend to say the opposite about the 1208 results. It really does leave the leather with a tight "un-christened" feeling the next day.

I'd look around a bit more for the 1208 before I try the Intensive Cleaner. Besides, the 1208 comes in a smaller (CHEAPER) bottle. Champion!

#14 ·
Ah this is exactly the issue I was looking for.
My XE, under 11k miles, has a weird sag, bubble ripple effect where I sit.

I thought its coz I'm pretty skinny so I'm boney and made the indentations lol.

Was wondering if it's because I haven't treated the leather yet?
And was going to ask what the best method/product would be for that?

So what would be the best product to treat the leather?

And what's the best solution to fix this permanent indentation?
Would JLR see it as an issue they can handle?

Can't be warranty but it's not exactly due to wear and tear either

#21 ·
I got this saggy seat bottom problem last winter. Then when the summer came my drivers seat tightened up and more or less returned to normal. This was without me doing anything about it. Now the winters back the seats got saggy again. Do you think this down to using the heated seats

#22 ·
Warrior88 said:
I got this saggy seat bottom problem last winter. Then when the summer came my drivers seat tightened up and more or less returned to normal. This was without me doing anything about it. Now the winters back the seats got saggy again. Do you think this down to using the heated seats
Oh god i hope its not from using the heated seats, I have them on so much because I have bad circulation and therefore I am always cold.

If so many of us have this problem.. It can't be something we're all doing wrong.
Wonder what JLR would say?

G
#24 ·
I've always had the saggy bottom on leather seats (no just Jaguar) and pretty much every rental car I've had has also had it - I just put it down to the fact leather is a natural product and stretches as the seat pad softens to the shape of your butt, the leather isn't glued to the seat pad so doesn't follow its exact shape and looks slightly baggy.
They usually become more supple and regain some of their shape in the warmer weather, or you may be able to lightly steam them (never tried that myself though)

#26 ·
This is very usual.
The best way to make it disappear is to massage the seat with a warm moist microfiber and allow to dry. During drying, evaporation will reseal the leather. But it will happen again, especially during cold season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.