Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Repairman

Re: Bonnet cable.

Post by Repairman » Thu May 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 pm
Repairman wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm
I have started Mk1 of of a different approach, using a solenoid direct to bonnet catch, looks doable, if I keep car :x
I think I'll parent this and offer it to JLR as an approved accessory. Eseential in the RHD market! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:)
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

Mike Rometer

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm

To be fair Jag is not the only offender in this matter, plenty of other makes are the same. I'm sure if pressed the excuse would be that there are far more LHD models sold than RHD. My stance is, that if you can change the steering column and all the other stuff, WHY not the bonnet control as well? Especially with XEs where it needs to be opened SO OFTEN!!!!
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Repairman

Post by Repairman » Thu May 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm
To be fair Jag is not the only offender in this matter, plenty of other makes are the same. I'm sure if pressed the excuse would be that there are far more LHD models sold than RHD. My stance is, that if you can change the steering column and all the other stuff, WHY not the bonnet control as well? Especially with XEs where it needs to be opened SO OFTEN!!!!
Very good point Mike
2016 XF Portfolio in British Racing Green. previous 2016 XE R-Sport in Italian Racing Red

AndyMadrid

Post by AndyMadrid » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 am

Regarding the original question of this topic (and not related to the position of the release lever) - has anyone had a problem of the bonnet release not working?

My 2015 XE had the issue when just 3 months old and the release stopped working. It was OK on the front left catch (LHD drivers side in Spain) but not on the front right. The dealer could not understand it and had to force the bonnet open somehow. I was told that the release cable holding clip had come loose and so the wire and the sleeve moved together and did not operate the mechanism. They added a tie-wrap to hold the cable sleeve in place and all has been OK for 4 years.

But now it has happened again and I have spent two hours poking and pulling but cannot find a way to open the bonnet.

Has anyone else suffered the same issue? Any idea of how to overcome the problem?
I am reluctant to go back to the dealer and pay just to have the bonnet opened, but I might have no choice.
XE 2015 2.0 D Prestige Auto Ammonite Grey

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:48 am

Use the breakdown service in Spain if you have membership and let them do it.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

AndyMadrid

Post by AndyMadrid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:49 pm

So in the end I took it back to the dealer who had fixed the bonnet (in 30 minutes) under warranty four years ago.
They now have no idea how to open it and want to keep the car for various days to investigate, without being able to give a price for the job as they do not know what is involved.
- Very disappointing support from the official dealer.

If anyone has any more ideas I would really appreciate reading them.
XE 2015 2.0 D Prestige Auto Ammonite Grey

mdem

Post by mdem » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:41 am

Out of curiosity I had a look at mine to try and figure out how it could be opened if the cable was broken. It looks to be pretty much impossible without causing some damage. The cable is attached to the latch behind the left headlight and from that catch there is a cable linking to the right catch. I assume that if the left headlight was removed then both catches could be opened. However getting the left headlight out with the bonnet closed is not going to result in a left headlight that can be reused.

I’m very interested to hear how they manage to do this.
MY2017 XE S, Dark Sapphire, Propellor wheels, Adaptive cruise control, Sunroof, Climate front seats, Heated rear seats, ICT Pro, Meridian 825W, Carbon fibre mirror covers and side vents, 40/20/40 rear seats, Perforated Taurus leather sports seats.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:40 am

A suggestion......... put it up on a lift and remove the under cover of the engine and see if it can be accessed from below.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:53 am

Someone needs to ask a Jag assist tech the next time they have a call out as I'm sure they will know of a "trick" to do this.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”