Roof Strip Removal/Refitting

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
MyXE

Roof Strip Removal/Refitting

Post by MyXE » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Noticed the near side roof strip was loose today but just pushing down would not engage it. Thinking I could clip it back on if I removed it, this is what I did. But now I’m struggling getting it back on again and I have now also lost one of the rubber end finishers. Can anyone help with how to refit the strip?
MY16 XE Prestige Diesel 180 Manual British Racing Green/Cream, Pan Roof, 40/20/40 Seats, Memory Seats, Folding Mirrors, Keyless Entry, Powered Boot, Privacy Glass, Space Saver Wheel, Rear Camera, Rear Blind.

Vespa

Re: Roof Strip Removal/Refitting

Post by Vespa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:31 am

This is probably one of those jobs that need a small tool with a hoop and roller on. Try warming it in hot water first as it may soften it enough for you to get it back, otherwise it's the dealer.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

colonie

Post by colonie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm

@
MyXE wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:37 pm
Can anyone help with how to refit the strip?
Were you able to sort it out?

Because if you are talking about the marked "strips" on this picture, I got the same problem.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-17 um 20.46.28.png

I wasn't able to find something about it in TOPIx. The only thing I found was:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-17 um 17.14.17.png

But this doesn't state how it actually works.

I already got a replacement set of my dealer on warranty but refused the mounting because I'll wrap it before. Now I need to figure it out.
The 8 plastic clips you get with the "roof mouldings" hook in one side of the strip (the upper side on the picture below) but the other side doesn't "lock in place" on the strip (lower side on the picture below). Does anybody know how this is supposed to work?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-17 um 20.58.49.png

MyXE

Post by MyXE » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Yeah these clips are really weird. Managed my strip without needing any tools though, just trial and error I’m afraid. Took me several attempts until I was happy. Reckon the clips are designed for single use only. Good luck.
MY16 XE Prestige Diesel 180 Manual British Racing Green/Cream, Pan Roof, 40/20/40 Seats, Memory Seats, Folding Mirrors, Keyless Entry, Powered Boot, Privacy Glass, Space Saver Wheel, Rear Camera, Rear Blind.

kuruvi

Post by kuruvi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 am

I think the part shown on the picture is for Models with Sun Roof.
For normal roof, you would need part number T2H26052 (smaller than the one shown on the picture above).
It costs you about £5 each. If your car is with Sun Roof then the part is correct.

To fit, you need to insert these clip into the strip first. You see the groove which is for alignment. You then press the strip down and the clips will hold it in place.

Mine was damaged by a body shop and I had to replace them with new clips. First I bought the wrong clips as shown on the picture.

Have you seen any silicon sealent inside (on the seam) after removing the strip. Mine had silicon sealent which was deteriorating and it was blocking the water drain. It shows another poor quality work at the factory.

colonie

Post by colonie » Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm

MyXE wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm
Yeah these clips are really weird. Managed my strip without needing any tools though, just trial and error I’m afraid. Took me several attempts until I was happy. Reckon the clips are designed for single use only. Good luck.
They really feel like single use only, very fragile.

kuruvi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 am
To fit, you need to insert these clip into the strip first. You see the groove which is for alignment. You then press the strip down and the clips will hold it in place.
You sir saved me! That's the way it's done. My roof strips are back on the car.

Thanks guys.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”