Wiper danger

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
MalcolmT

Wiper danger

Post by MalcolmT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi all.
Discovered a new problem today.
I decided to replace my wiper blades today.
After a bit of faffing about, I managed to get the wipers into the service position as per the handbook.
I had Bosch replacements as bought in Halfords.
Changed the driver side with no problem, and was busy on the passenger side when THUD!
The car decided I'd had long enough, and decided to park the wipers.
At this point, I had no blade at all on the passenger side, so the wiper arm hit the screen.
And cracked it!
Of course, we're doing a long run tomorrow - Belfast to Hawes, on the way down to Sutton Coldfield.
I suspect claiming on the insurance would be a no-no.
I have a protected no-claims discount, but insurance companies never promise anything about keeping the premium the same.
And I suspect I'd more than pay for it in the next couple of years.
And, just to add insult to injury, I have a heated windscreen.
So - if you're changing wiper blades, only attempt one side at a time.
And I don't think I'm particularly slow or cack-handed.

Mike Rometer

Re: Wiper danger

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:32 am

I'm more than a bit perturbed that the spring and arm weight was enough to crack the screen :o , But I do know that over here it is quite difficult to get any of the major screen Cos to quote for a new screen outside an insurance claim, when all they do is charge you the excess and you never find out what they've charged in total because it's 'Contract'. I had one with severe wiper scratching (it wasn't heated) and was prepared to pay to change it and couldn't get a sensible quote anywhere except from a little one-man-band. I think the cost of the screen will still outweigh your insurance and as the damage was accidental they should settle.
Jag No 3. 2 Litre petrol Prestige 200. Italian Racing Red. 65 plate

My other vehicle is coal fired. 8-) (very lo-tech)

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:47 am

MalcolmT wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 pm
Hi all.
Discovered a new problem today.
I decided to replace my wiper blades today.
After a bit of faffing about, I managed to get the wipers into the service position as per the handbook.
I had Bosch replacements as bought in Halfords.
Changed the driver side with no problem, and was busy on the passenger side when THUD!
The car decided I'd had long enough, and decided to park the wipers.
At this point, I had no blade at all on the passenger side, so the wiper arm hit the screen.
And cracked it!
Of course, we're doing a long run tomorrow - Belfast to Hawes, on the way down to Sutton Coldfield.
I suspect claiming on the insurance would be a no-no.
I have a protected no-claims discount, but insurance companies never promise anything about keeping the premium the same.
And I suspect I'd more than pay for it in the next couple of years.
And, just to add insult to injury, I have a heated windscreen.
So - if you're changing wiper blades, only attempt one side at a time.
And I don't think I'm particularly slow or cack-handed.
Just had a new genuine windscreen heated fitted on Monday,according to the Auto windscreen man they cost about £800, there's a used one on ebay and they want £240. This is all before fitting costs and then the re-calibration of the ACAS cameras which if not done may void your insurance! I paid my £75 windscreen excess with the AA insurance and the windscreen replacement and calibration is included, I have a fully protected no claims bonus, I'll see what happens at renewal but is it going to cost me an extra £1,000, I don't think so.
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:37 pm

I had the exact same the other week when I changed mine. I was in the middle of putting the new one in on the driver side when the car decided I had long enough too. Passenger side had no wiper on it and then hit the windscreen but luckily i put the old wiper where it hit
MY 17 XE S 340 Yulong White, Pan roof, 18 way seats, heated wheel, power folding mirrors, powered boot, split folding seats

spritely

Post by spritely » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:26 pm

This is rather worrying for what should be a simple thing to do. Think when it comes to me having to change mine I will put a large blanket or something on the screen to protect it. Thanks for the heads up on this.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Ian d

Post by Ian d » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 pm

I replaced my wipers and had no such issue. Did you leave the key fob in the car? If you didn’t this may have shutdown the car and reset the wipers.
2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY, Loire blue, ICTP, 380w Meridian, 350mm brakes, climate pack, parking pack, sports pedals, keyless, power-fold mirrors, 10 way seats, 4 way lumbar, extra sockets. Black/Oyster interior.

RichardL

Post by RichardL » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:03 am

Thought?
Perhaps if the battery was low, or the car thought it was low, turned everything off after a few minutes like it does if you sit with the radio on/engine off.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:18 am

Perhaps do one at a time and cover the windscreen. I did mine in Feb 2018 and didn't have that problem. They stayed in the service mode throughout.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:42 am

You don’t need to do service mode at all. There’s enough room to change the blades in the parked position - did mine last month.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

RichardL

Post by RichardL » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Pete McK wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:42 am
You don’t need to do service mode at all. There’s enough room to change the blades in the parked position - did mine last month.
Perfect - the ultimate sensible/simple answer

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”