Painting "JAGUAR" side vents.

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Snailedit

Painting "JAGUAR" side vents.

Post by Snailedit » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I ordered some cheap Side Vent covers in black but for a good reason. I want to paint the letters of "Jaguar"in Red to match the body paint. I think the black vents with red lettering would be a nice contrast. I figured the cheap covers would give me away to practice doing this before attempting them on the actual side vents. Has anyone done this yet?

20190413_075208.jpg

Mikeyjd

Re: Painting "JAGUAR" side vents.

Post by Mikeyjd » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:43 pm

I have done similar to motorbike and car engine covers in the past. It works best with quite runny paint, maybe coach paint or similar. The idea is to apply the paint into the indentations and surrounding area, then whipping the surface of the object quickly sideways to take off any surplus paint from the surrounding surface. It takes a bit of practice to get it right without taking the paint out of the indentations. It is best to use a non fluffy cloth, maybe an old cotton shirt or something, lightly moistened with paint thinner. The problem with doing it to plastic and not metal, is that the thinners may attack the plastic.

If you are careful, you can even do it by wiping with your bare finger quickly across the surface. Do not press down hard though, as your finger will pick up some paint from inside the writing.

If you fancy trying it, have a practice on something like a light switch. They are smooth plastic and often have writing engraved onto the surface.

Good luck. Oh, and if you mess it up, don't blame me LOL
2018MY R Sport. 250D AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

Snailedit

Post by Snailedit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 am

Mikeyjd wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:43 pm
I have done similar to motorbike and car engine covers in the past. It works best with quite runny paint, maybe coach paint or similar. The idea is to apply the paint into the indentations and surrounding area, then whipping the surface of the object quickly sideways to take off any surplus paint from the surrounding surface. It takes a bit of practice to get it right without taking the paint out of the indentations. It is best to use a non fluffy cloth, maybe an old cotton shirt or something, lightly moistened with paint thinner. The problem with doing it to plastic and not metal, is that the thinners may attack the plastic.

If you are careful, you can even do it by wiping with your bare finger quickly across the surface. Do not press down hard though, as your finger will pick up some paint from inside the writing.

If you fancy trying it, have a practice on something like a light switch. They are smooth plastic and often have writing engraved onto the surface.

Good luck. Oh, and if you mess it up, don't blame me LOL
Thanks for the input. A buddy of mine said to let the paint dry then use paint thinner to wipe off excess but have to make sure that black paint is sealed and painted correctly so that it doesn't wipe off too.

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:54 am

A fellow aussie did it to his f type vents to add silver lettering to a silver car. I can remember him posting about it because I thought to do the same to mine but then didnt because I thought I'd just make a mess. If you have patience, you can look through the posts of OzXFR on the US Jaguar Forum, F Type sub-forum.
2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR
Coming - 2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements

BruceTheQuail

Post by BruceTheQuail » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 am

Here you go, see post #18 of this thread courtesy of a few former convicts https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... er-215905/]
2016 XE 25T R-sport in IRR
Coming - 2020 XE P300 HSE R-dynamic in Firenze
Daily driver - F Type V6 S in IRR with many chav accoutrements

Snailedit

Post by Snailedit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 am

BruceTheQuail wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 am
Here you go, see post #18 of this thread courtesy of a few former convicts https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... er-215905/]

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm

When I raced bikes (ones without engines) I did all the Campagnolo crests etc in red on all the parts. Fairly straight forward process. Fine artist brush in the area and depending on depth a getle cloth wipe over the side excess. Larger areas fill the indent, leave to dry a couple od hours and with a damped turps cloth gently wipe any excess. If there is a slight smudge leave to dry 48 hours and soft cloth with T cut or polish to gently remove any over paint. Patience is the key word. I still do similar on my model railway locomotive nameplates only in reverse so to speak.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Snailedit

Post by Snailedit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 pm
When I raced bikes (ones without engines) I did all the Campagnolo crests etc in red on all the parts. Fairly straight forward process. Fine artist brush in the area and depending on depth a getle cloth wipe over the side excess. Larger areas fill the indent, leave to dry a couple od hours and with a damped turps cloth gently wipe any excess. If there is a slight smudge leave to dry 48 hours and soft cloth with T cut or polish to gently remove any over paint. Patience is the key word. I still do similar on my model railway locomotive nameplates only in reverse so to speak.
Thanks this helps alot!

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”