Paint peeling of

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Eisbahn

Paint peeling of

Post by Eisbahn » Fri May 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Hey,

I wish you all a great weekend.

Mine didn't start all that well though. As I was washing my XE today I realized that on two parts of my front bumper sth was peeling of - almost like some sort of foil (like a thin screen protector you get with brand new electronics). As I've never seen sth like that before I was quite confused, but didn't know at that moment what would come next.

After a nice drive home I wanted to put in the summer footmats, but a shocking sight awaited me when I approched the Jag's front. The parts where I saw the foily thing earlier had suddenly turned to matt red and now I realized what had happened: the outer layer of the paint had peeled itself of (for whatever reason).

As I'm more into driving cars than building and servicing them I wondered what the reason behind it might have been. Could it be bad quality of the paint, or even worse, had I ruined it with unproperly washing the car? Does anyone of you probably know what the reason behind this might be?

Furthermore I looked into Jag's warranty on paint (which is 3 yrs and I'm still within that window). Therefore my next question: is this thing that happened to me a case for the warranty or not?

For a better understanding of the problem I've taken a picture of it: Image

Hope some of you might be able to help me with this.

Cheers
Michael
XE 25t R-Sport, MY18, Firenze Red, many optional extras

moose

Re: Paint peeling of

Post by moose » Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Have a read of this post.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7704&p=86613

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Is that a chip on the right side of the area. If so, I suspect the laquer has been damamged and water has got under it and lifted it off. If the damage has been caused by a stone chip it's unlikely to be covered under warranty.
Corris Grey 25D AWD R-Sport

capese21

Post by capese21 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:21 pm

That looks like a previous smart repair. I had one on my previous Lexus. It looked ok then it literally fell off and was sat on the block paving one morning!! It should be covered under warranty.
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

simpler

Post by simpler » Fri May 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Hi OP, from your history you are in Austria and picked up your XE in 2017 as new.

Presuming you haven't had a smart repair then you should see your dealer for a warranty repair.

If you had a smart repair for a chip then try your dealer first or failing that log a claim with the smart repairer as that is quite frankly shocking.

I can only presume that this had been repaired before (and as you've had the car from new you will know).

Eisbahn

Post by Eisbahn » Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 am

Thank you all for your responses so far!

The thing is I never had my car in for any special repairs except the first service a year ago - so definitely nothing at all has been done to the paint of the car, not even smart repairs (although I was considering it on a part where I scratched it myself....).
Rob Wright wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Is that a chip on the right side of the area. If so, I suspect the laquer has been damamged and water has got under it and lifted it off. If the damage has been caused by a stone chip it's unlikely to be covered under warranty.
I've taken a closer look at the 2 parts today and it seems like the one I posted here was most probably caused a stone chip but the other one wasn't. What a coincidence - yeay. Anyway, I'll try my best to get it done under warranty (at least the smaller one definitely should be covered) - if it doesn't work out I'll probably have the whole bumper repainted due to some other small scratches which are irritating me for enough time already.

Have a great weekend!
Michael

Update (1323Z): added the paragraph below the quote
XE 25t R-Sport, MY18, Firenze Red, many optional extras

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”