windscreen external plastic trims

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
ianbruce

Re: windscreen external plastic trims

Post by ianbruce » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:28 pm

Tobes,

No problem - we're all in this together after all.

I'll add a couple to my list, but not new:
1936 Austin 16 I bought it for a fiver as the wheels fitted a Dormobile (Bedford CA Van) which a couple of used to carry our racing bikes,and it was cheaper than buying new tyres, although I actually drove it for quite a while as well.
Then an Austin J type van - the flat fronted one that the Post Office used to use - also for carrying the bikes - cost me £25 - when the engine boiled, the cab got full of water vapour but it had sliding doors to let the water out.
Then, a Standard Atlas van, also for the bikes - an expensive vehicle (about £180 - big bucks) without a heater which I drove throughout the 62/63 winter, generally wearing a lot of clothes plus a couple of travel rugs - I used to carry a potato and a sharp knife for defrosting the screen.

Ah, those were the days... No trim to fall off - no trim...

Ian

Ian

Pickle77

Post by Pickle77 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:23 am

Stop it Ian. You're making me dream in black and white again! :))
I used to deploy the potato trick on the screen of my '63 Minivan (with straight-through exhaust, and earplugs). But we'd better not get into 'all our yesterdays mode' here.
As for members posting details of the faults and disappointments in their XE's, surely that's what this kind of Forum is for. I'm certainly not offended or annoyed that anyone should criticise Jaguar - just disappointed.

Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:47 am

Had a lot of new cars over the years as my employer offers a salary sacrifice car scheme, fully insured and serviced, to all employees. As a 23yr old lad living in London the temptation of insurance being included was too great.

2003 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - Never put a foot wrong, purchased for my mother at end of lease who still has it with 80k on the clock.
2004 VW Golf Mk5 1.9TDI - Perfect, although paintwork very prone to damage by leaves or bird mess.
2005 Mini One 1.6 - Brilliant and never put a foot wrong.
2007 Mini Cooper S - Bonnet release broke, heated washer jets clogged up, failed ABS sensor and clutch went at 11k miles, requiring flywheel replacement. BMW were useless and said it was down to 'driving style', which in 2yrs and 11k miles cannot be right given a lot of trouble free miles in the above cars. Have avoided BMW products since.
2009 Audi A3 Sportback 1.9TDI - Brilliant car, not exciting but never put a foot wrong and very solid build.
2012 Audi TT 1.8TFSI - Again, great car. Apart from a few rattles. First car with built-in nav and the re-routing is just as bad as some have described on here - I think it's just TMC being less than perfect.

All of the above had been on sale for a while when ordered, apart from the Cooper S which had only been out for 6months at the time, and that was the one I had most problems with.

I am just old enough to remember my Dad's 1978 Mini clubman which dissolved like a berocca in the rain, and the calamity that was the 1986 Montego which replaced it. Everything he's owned since that (Fords, Vauxhalls, Seat's, Nissan's) has been remarkably solid apart from the odd electrical problem. His 2007 Mondeo had more issues than most, but only from about 2yrs old.

I do worry about the XE niggles experienced by forum members, including cars turning up with options missing. A lot the people it's happened to were on the forum eagerly anticipating their new cars, so it doesn't seem like that many people have signed up here just to complain. Some of the software ones are just consistent with the whole world seemingly being in beta these days. My brand new Android phone is glitchy as hell. Bits dropping off is a lot more concerning. Hopefully a one-off.

Mine should be arriving today. If it's perfect I'll be sure to come back here and say so!
XE Prestige 2.0d 163 Auto, Ammonite Grey, Latte Interior, 17" Aerodynamic wheels

ianbruce

Post by ianbruce » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:52 am

Pickle,

That's just the half of it... No MOT, no tread on tyres...

I agree about the faults though, wholeheartedly.

And I'm giving the salesman an hour or so to have his morning coffee and I'll give them a call to see if the delivery estimate has been upgraded to a possible. I'm scared stiff something expensive will pack up on the BMW before I have to turn it in.

Ian

Andy,

You lucky b*****d.

Pickle77

Post by Pickle77 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:32 am

I know the feeling re your BMW Ian. I've shut my p/ex car in the garage and used bus or bicycle for up to 3 weeks in the past.

tobes

Post by tobes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 am

Ok Jags corporate reply to my email and photos of the windscreen trim

'With regards to the trim around the windscreen, this does clip in no need for a glue or sealant. If it does come out again let us and we will get it looked at for you.'

Not exactly sure what to make of that reply. Didn't expect grovelling apology but some reassurance about the detail of the installation or, no other vehicles have been affected so we assure you the design is ok, or for your peace of mind please feel free to visit your local dealer, we have contacted them to let them know about your email etc etc

Actually got a better response to my fuel question as car turned up empty with warning light displayed.

'With the fuel I am not too sure on this on what the fuel level should be for handover.'

I will give them a clue. NOT EMPTY.

They even emailed before delivery to say it would be fuelled before it got to me as I had commented after seeing fuel level on the APP.
R Sport 180 Manual
Ammonite Grey
Jet - Jet with Oyster
10 x 10 FOC electric seat upgrade
Quite simply the best diesel compact exec I've ever owned

Pickle77

Post by Pickle77 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:40 am

Those replies from Jaguar are pitifully feeble.
I'm sorry if I've missed this on another thread, but have you reconstructed the screen frame yourself then Tobes?

ianbruce

Post by ianbruce » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:47 am

tobes,

I bought a new Talbot Sunbeam (aka Hillman Avenger) once and I hadn't had time to register the low fuel level by the time it ran out of fuel, a good 200 yards from the dealer. Think yourself lucky you had a few miles-worth !!

Ian

tobes

Post by tobes » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:51 am

Yes I straightened out the trim and the rear mounted lugs as a few had bent slightly. Lined up the trim with the lowest locating pin and then hammered the trim in with hand. Only tricky bit is the bottom as the rubber / trim is wider and sticks over bottom corner of windscreen so with bonnet there it is tricky to get fingers there. Wanted to take passenger side trim off to see if there was any difference but then id have two loose trims.

It doesn't seem to of moved again and is more than likely completely fine but if I can fit it with my hand how the hell could they of missed hitting it home, did they just lay it on the windscreen?........ and of course if it does go again I already have a photo/am aware of what it would be that flew past me so can easily report it and not have to worry about walking back along a motorway :)
R Sport 180 Manual
Ammonite Grey
Jet - Jet with Oyster
10 x 10 FOC electric seat upgrade
Quite simply the best diesel compact exec I've ever owned

Pickle77

Post by Pickle77 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:57 am

Well done - saves a trip to the dealer I suppose - but I think I'd be subconsciously preparing to duck at speeds above 70!

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”