Fold down seats?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
BOBCDP

Re: Fold down seats?

Post by BOBCDP » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum a while back, the reason the releases are in the boot is something to do with it being a requirement in some countries.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:44 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:59 pm
I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum a while back, the reason the releases are in the boot is something to do with it being a requirement in some countries.
If that's the case then why do other mainstream manufacturers like Audi, BMW and Ford amongst others, still have release catches in the passenger compartment? I assume they sell cars to all those same countries.
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

Kushanku

Post by Kushanku » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:46 am

147daytona wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:44 pm
BOBCDP wrote:
If that's the case then why do other mainstream manufacturers like Audi, BMW and Ford amongst others, still have release catches in the passenger compartment? I assume they sell cars to all those same countries.

Indeed. I had an Audi A4 and the release was built into the back of the seat. It wasn't an add-on, it was part of the backrest.
Kushanku

XE Portfolio 200PS Ingenium Petrol
Metallic Yulong White with Sienna Tan interior and Satin Ash Burr Veneer.
Pro Navigation Pack with Meridian Sound System, Parking Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Split Folding Rear Seat, Spare Wheel

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Kushanku wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:46 am
147daytona wrote:
BOBCDP wrote:

Indeed. I had an Audi A4 and the release was built into the back of the seat. It wasn't an add-on, it was part of the backrest.

I wonder if it might be that the number of XE's built is very small in comparison with the likes of Audi, BMW etc? As folding seats were an extra anyway, probably most were made with fixed seats. To produce a relatively small number of seats with a front release would be very expensive so the bean counters would just love the choke cable solution.
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Milfordman

Post by Milfordman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:46 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:03 pm
Kushanku wrote:
147daytona wrote:

I wonder if it might be that the number of XE's built is very small in comparison with the likes of Audi, BMW etc? As folding seats were an extra anyway, probably most were made with fixed seats. To produce a relatively small number of seats with a front release would be very expensive so the bean counters would just love the choke cable solution.
Except the folding seats in the XF is the same. The XF has the rubbish choke cables. Not what I expected from a Jaguar.

Regards John
XE PRESTIGE 2.0 i4 200PS. British Racing Green, Latte Leather, Electric Seats, Folding Mirrors, Lumbar Support, Meridian 380W, Satin Burr Ash veneer, Folding Seats, 18" Alloy space saver spare wheel, Configurable mood lighting and Parking Pack.

IIRXES

Post by IIRXES » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:10 pm

I'm going to look at moving where the release buttons affix to as I have knocked them off so many times. I know we shouldn't have to on a Jaguar but there are many holes in the boot roof there might be one available each side for some minor filing
2015 XE S 3ltr Superbloodycharged Italian Racing Red with black pack and quad exhausts!

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 am

Milfordman wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:46 pm
BOBCDP wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:03 pm
Kushanku wrote:

Except the folding seats in the XF is the same. The XF has the rubbish choke cables. Not what I expected from a Jaguar.

Regards John
The E-Pace has buttons in the backrest as per other makes, but I guess they are making these in much greater numbers as the split folding sits are across the range.
It does almost look like an afterthought on the XE & XF.
Out of interest were they on the previous XF?
Curr: MY20 E-Pace P200 Chequered Flag, Photon red
Prev: MY18 XE P250 Portfolio RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, folding mirrors
Prev: MY17 XE D180 Prestige Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, pano roof, folding mirrors

Deleted User 2182

Post by Deleted User 2182 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:49 pm

I was surprised when I got the XE about the lack of folding seats (and folding mirrors lol), it was a bit of a pain, when I moved to the XF exactly the same.

I’m now on an XF Sportbrake which has levers on the backs of the seats but also levers on the side wall of the boot on each side so you can open them from the boot, the rear seats being weighted/sprung so that the fold flat straight away when you use them. The levers in the boot are flush to the side wall and are definately not an afterthought.

If they can manage such a good solution on the Sportbrake then it is possible to do it on the XE and XF saloon cars as they have already engineered a solution.

Cheers

glcohen

Post by glcohen » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:30 am

Phorever wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:20 am
20201202_061758.jpg

See if there are these yellow tabs in the boot.
Many thanks for this post. I had no idea that the central part of the split seats had its own catch. If JLR had really wanted to keep the boot secure this catch should have only been operable from within the boot. Maybe the seat releases are in the boot so that someone trapped in the boot can release themselves ?
But seriously - the catches are not in keeping with the rest of the car and better solutions should have been found for the seat releases.
XE 2.0 Prestige 20T Auto (MY 2017) , Rhodium Silver with Oyster interior, Gloss figured ebony veneer, Split rear Seat, Park Assist and surround camera pack, Power fold and dimming mirrors, Space saver spare wheel.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:55 am

DavidW wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:49 pm
I was surprised when I got the XE about the lack of folding seats (and folding mirrors lol), it was a bit of a pain, when I moved to the XF exactly the same.

I’m now on an XF Sportbrake which has levers on the backs of the seats but also levers on the side wall of the boot on each side so you can open them from the boot, the rear seats being weighted/sprung so that the fold flat straight away when you use them. The levers in the boot are flush to the side wall and are definately not an afterthought.

If they can manage such a good solution on the Sportbrake then it is possible to do it on the XE and XF saloon cars as they have already engineered a solution.

Cheers
This is exactly the same as an Audi A4 Avant. I guess in theory the rear seats in an estate get folded down a bit more so at Jag cost control they managed to get sign off for the better mechanism and levers.

The only good thing about not having folding seats is that the Jag stays clean and the wife's car gets to do the tip run and carry the odd large item.
2015 XE Prestige 20d 163 Bluefire