Jaguar XE Forum banner

Rattling noise when driving

12K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Dragos 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Me again! Not sure if I've put this under the right section to apologies!
I have noticed a rattling/clicking kind of noise coming from the left side of my car, doesn't seem to be coming from the rear from what I can tell... I have just got my car back from the dealership where I got them to look at a couple of other issues, I did mention this but apparently they couldn't hear it (not sure how it's very obvious!). I tend to only notice this at around 50mph+ It also depends on the road surface so I expect it to be a trim piece or something. I've had a search on here and everything else that I've come across I've had a look with no luck... anyone else have an idea as to what I can try?!
If anything I'll get someone else to drive along with me in the passenger seat to try and nail it down. Worst comes to worst I'll get another dealer to take a look

#2 ·
Definitely get someone to sit in passenger side and try to pinpoint source. I had a rattle at the rear and stripped all the rear trim out and still couldn't find it. Got my daughter to drive while I used a stethoscope and eventually pinpointed the cause.
Dealers are not very good at tracing these things due to the time it can take and usually want to charge to find it. Hence the steps I took.

#3 ·
Hillmangt said:
Dealers are not very good at tracing these things due to the time it can take and usually want to charge to find it. Hence the steps I took.
You can say that again, I still get angry when I think of the noise and vibration I had on my new XE earlier in the year when the Technician? insisted it was a feature of the car!

#4 ·
There was a member on here a few months back with a similar problem who located it to the small adjusters under the bonnet sides about 10" from the hinges. They originally had a fibre pad stuck to them to cushion them. I had a similar annoying rattle in the colder weather when the gap was slightly wider. Lo and behold my pads were missing on the passenger side. I bought some sticky pads off ebay and stuck them on and the rattle went away and has stayed away.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Pads-Glass-Cushion-Gripper-Self-Adhesive-Sticky-Back-Small/253236892840?var=552355493935&hash=item3af61854a8:g:zxEAAOSwAaJZ-Lbj

#5 ·
Hillmangt said:
Definitely get someone to sit in passenger side and try to pinpoint source. I had a rattle at the rear and stripped all the rear trim out and still couldn't find it. Got my daughter to drive while I used a stethoscope and eventually pinpointed the cause.
Thanks! Will try and go for a drive tomorrow with my girlfriend to see if she can figure out where the noise is, if not I'll get one my parents to give it a drive (think they'll be happy haha) and try and narrow it down myself

#6 ·
Fighterpilot said:
There was a member on here a few months back with a similar problem who located it to the small adjusters under the bonnet sides about 10" from the hinges. They originally had a fibre pad stuck to them to cushion them. I had a similar annoying rattle in the colder weather when the gap was slightly wider. Lo and behold my pads were missing on the passenger side. I bought some sticky pads off ebay and stuck them on and the rattle went away and has stayed away.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Pads-Glass-Cushion-Gripper-Self-Adhesive-Sticky-Back-Small/253236892840?var=552355493935&hash=item3af61854a8:g:zxEAAOSwAaJZ-Lbj
Ohhh this is an interesting one. Will open up the bonet tomorrow and have a look!

#7 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Just had a look under the bonnet and can't seem to find where you're talking about? Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place!

#9 ·
Mikeyjd said:
Rattles are sometimes the hardest problems to diagnose. They often aren't serious, but they do cause a lot of frustration.
Yes indeed. Generally this rattle depends on the road surface (recently surfaced flat roads are a dream to drive on!), more bumpy roads I notice it more and especially at 50+mph. Will go out tomorrow with the GF and see if she can figure out where it's coming from anyway!

#14 ·
Fighterpilot said:
It may be tomorrow before I can photograph the actual part on the car. At present the rain is torrential. there were also members on here who found wiring not secured near the bulkhead and top of the wing that rattled when cold.
No worries at all. It's been raining all day here anyway so probably won't be until tomorrow or Friday that I get a chance to look anyway. I'll also have a check there, though interestingly it does sound like it's coming from the inside (though it may not be haha)

#16 ·
I've just taken a look at these felt pads on the bonnet hinges on my just over 2000 miles old XE. Sure enough the pads have already migrated half off!
What a poor design. The solution noted by one poster of putting a rubber cap over the bolts is a much better one and should have been used by JLR.

#17 ·
Same as mine were when I checked @chrisjp. I removed them, cleaned the backing and refitted them using a stronger bonding glue.

#20 ·
Had a quick look when I got back from Aldi, and by no surprise the little pads were gone (apart from a bit basically hanging by a thread!). Will find something to replace it and fingers crossed it stops the rattle! Thanks all for the help and advice, will report back soon...

#22 ·
Might it be better to stick the pads on the flat surface of bodywork rather then the head of a bolt?

#26 ·
leeham said:
Little update... doesn't seem to be the cause! Put some padding on the bolts to see how it would be and still had the rattle on the quick drive. Kind of sounds like it's coming from inside the passenger door which is interesting...
I had a rattle for about 3 month what I was sure come from inside passenger side. Sometime look like is coming from door, from A pillar, from under dashboard. I tried all suggestions, remove glove box to check if anything there, nothing. In the end I discovered that rattle come from passenger side wheel arch cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.