Jaguar XE Forum banner

Exterior Side Vent Replacements

9K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  jagxe91 
#1 ·
Hi all

Both side vents on my XE have started to peel. Anyone know a reputable website I could purchase a set of replacement side vents? I've attached a picture of the ones that I currently have on my XE.
I've found some on the web which are ridiculously priced - they don't have to be genuine Jaguar parts - just ones that fit and look the same as below.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ebay is usually good place.

I have mine from R-Sport for sale. Glossblack as in picture if you don't find new ones. Asking 50euros + shipping.

#6 ·
Easy to remove. Those are in two parts. Top and bottom. Use trim tool to pop up (only slightly from corner and do not lift much) from front to about R-letter from top and bottom. Then slide to back.

When installing push bottom and top together and push to in.

#7 ·
As eski said they are easy, with care, to remove, so whether you decide to repaint or replace you can do it yourself.

My only other thought on reflection is that you say these are peeling, I can't see in the picture where this peeling is, my understanding is that the Jaguar Gloss Black side vents are black plastic so should not be peeling, unless they are not black originally and have been painted by a previous owner.

#8 ·
Look at the "R" in the Rsport lettering. It took me a while to realise where the paint was peeling.

Bob

#9 ·
I will post a picture of my own later today. The picture I posted above was for reference of the ones I want to purchase.
I believe mine were originally chrome and either painted or wrapped.

#11 ·
Looking at the painted finish on those badges, I think a previous owner has done the black paintwork with the wrong type of paint. The best paint onto plastic and glossy, is what modellers use which is Humbrol in a spray can. It is for plastic and available in gloss. Yoy may be better taking them off and separating the badge etc from the surround. Rub down the affected areas with fine wet and dry to get the loose off and to key the surface. Then undercoat with Dk grey primer and finish off with the Hubrol gloss spray Total cost about £15-£20. Not chaep but cheaper than a new set possibly cheaper than S/H from Ebay.

#12 ·
Yes, that looks like a vinyl wrap has been applied.
If you are comfortable removing and refitting then the easiest would be to remove, pull the wrap off and paint as you would like. Depending on where you are in the country you might be able to find someone who can help and paint if required.
Otherwise I understand your desire for replacements, if you are going to pay someone to swap them over for you.

#14 ·
IIRXES said:
I would think that's painted, to get wrap to stick into the embossed Jaguar lettering is almost impossible as as soon as the wrap gets warm it shrinks slightly and pops out.
This is true, but on my first XE that is what I had done and it looked just like the photos and why on this one I painted them as a much cleaner job :)

#18 ·
So turned out the original side vents that were on my car were wrapped. Pulled the wrap off and they've cleaned up really well - the wrap done a good job of protecting the original part I guess. I've listed them for sale on the For Sale/Wanted area of this forum.

For anyone interested

Pair of R Sport Side Vents for sale. Small scratch on one of the R Sport emblems as shown in picture.

£65 + necessary postage charges.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.