Spinning locking wheel nut - removal tips?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Tempest XE S

Spinning locking wheel nut - removal tips?

Post by Tempest XE S » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Afternoon all,

I've had my locking wheel key break, the interior ring has broken away from the out shell and fallen to pieces (I'm sure there is a reason the key is made in two parts rather than as one but I can't think of one personally!). I took it down to Jaguar and of course they don't make these keys anymore so I needed a new set, they managed to remove three of them with their master set, but unfortunately one was stuck on. He assumes it was gunned on, which is odd considering the last time they were off were at Jaguar and apparently the "never" use a gun to tighten them... but that's another story.

In order to try and get them removed they were quoting figures of around £300+, so I thought I'd give it a go myself first then come back to them if it doesn't work.

I tried hammering a slightly larger socket over the nut to try and get it to grip so I could then loosen with a bar but unfortunately all this seemed to achieve was to make the outer shell of the locking wheel nut spin freely.

Next idea was to take it in to a garage who could hopefully drill through the spinning shell, weld a bar to the nut and release it that way (and I'll deal with heat damage to the rim separately). I've now had a call from the guy saying this shell seems to be made of such stern stuff, that he can't even drill a hole through it so there's nothing to latch on to.

I'm not sure what options that actually leaves me with now. Any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 335 BHP / Tempest Grey / 20" Propeller alloys / Black Pack

To come: Ceramic paint coating, chip re-map to 404 BHP, spacers, badge black out

Faltwen

Re: Spinning locking wheel nut - removal tips?

Post by Faltwen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 pm

i had the same issue on my old X type with the same locking wheel nuts as the XE.
I removed mine by using a dremel to carefully cut a slot into the outer rotating shell. I then struck it with a chisel which split it in 2 and it fell off. I could then hammer a socket onto the remaining nut and remove it.
I then took off the locking nuts and fitted normal ones.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.

Unfortunately she's had to go so I'm an ex XE owner.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Tempest XE S

Post by Tempest XE S » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Thank you, I'll give that a go as well then.

Appreciate the quick response.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 335 BHP / Tempest Grey / 20" Propeller alloys / Black Pack

To come: Ceramic paint coating, chip re-map to 404 BHP, spacers, badge black out

chrisjp

Post by chrisjp » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Tempest XE S wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Afternoon all,

I've had my locking wheel key break, the interior ring has broken away from the out shell and fallen to pieces (I'm sure there is a reason the key is made in two parts rather than as one but I can't think of one personally!). I took it down to Jaguar and of course they don't make these keys anymore so I needed a new set, they managed to remove three of them with their master set, but unfortunately one was stuck on. He assumes it was gunned on, which is odd considering the last time they were off were at Jaguar and apparently the "never" use a gun to tighten them... but that's another story.

In order to try and get them removed they were quoting figures of around £300+, so I thought I'd give it a go myself first then come back to them if it doesn't work.

I tried hammering a slightly larger socket over the nut to try and get it to grip so I could then loosen with a bar but unfortunately all this seemed to achieve was to make the outer shell of the locking wheel nut spin freely.

Next idea was to take it in to a garage who could hopefully drill through the spinning shell, weld a bar to the nut and release it that way (and I'll deal with heat damage to the rim separately). I've now had a call from the guy saying this shell seems to be made of such stern stuff, that he can't even drill a hole through it so there's nothing to latch on to.

I'm not sure what options that actually leaves me with now. Any advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Yes, I'm afraid that dealerships, and tyre dealers, do nearly always use air-powered wrenches to tighten wheel nuts, whatever they otherwise claim - and these are often set to a higher torque than is specified for the vehicle being worked on. I guess they set the highest likely torque required for any vehicle they'll see and then don't have to bother with changing it. I've had this problem with cars in the past when I've taken them in for tyre changes and subsequently found the wheel nuts well-nigh impossible to undo with normal hand tools. This is pretty serious if you want to change a punctured tyre by the roadside, and it also puts extra strain on the wheel studs.
I've now stopped letting tyre dealers touch my wheel nuts. Instead I remove two wheels at a time and take them into the tyre dealer "loose", get the tyres changed, than re-install the wheels myself - of course using a torque wrench. Space limitation in the vehicle used to ferry the wheels to the dealer does mean I can only change two tyres at a time, but since front and rear tyre sets typically wear at different rates this isn't an issue.
Chris Phillips. Jaguar XE HSE 250PS Petrol MY20. Portofino Blue, Light Oyster, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, Meridian 825w, space saver spare wheel, folding rear seat, black pack, 16-way driver seat

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm

I have had a couple done in the past, £10 per go.

One man holds a piece of solid bar against the nut and the other hits it 4-5 times, as hard as he can with a large hammer. It loosens the thread and then can be removed with a something like a pair of tweezers. The BMW dealer wouldn’t do it and sent me somewhere else, he wanted to heat up the nut but said it would definitely damage the wheel.

This was just a back street garage that did mine. Maybe phone around.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:34 pm

Jeff123 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm
I have had a couple done in the past, £10 per go.

One man holds a piece of solid bar against the nut and the other hits it 4-5 times, as hard as he can with a large hammer. It loosens the thread and then can be removed with a something like a pair of tweezers. The BMW dealer wouldn’t do it and sent me somewhere else, he wanted to heat up the nut but said it would definitely damage the wheel.

This was just a back street garage that did mine. Maybe phone around.
Did these nuts have the spinning dome cover that the jaguar ones have?
The nuts are designed so a socket can't be hammered over the dome so it has to be removed first.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.

Unfortunately she's had to go so I'm an ex XE owner.

Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Jeff123

Post by Jeff123 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am

These were BMW ones, so I don’t know.
XE R-Dynamic 180d Eiger Grey MY20

Tempest XE S

Post by Tempest XE S » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:14 am

Hi guys,

Appreciate all the responses here.

Because I think it's always important to finish these threads off with the solution, I have to say that Faltwen's suggestion above did the trick in the end. It was still in the garage so suggested they tried it and apparently it worked like a treat.

Dremel to cut a slot in the outer shell, chisel to break away the outer shell and exposes the nut below. Once that was exposed it was easier to get a tight seal around and get it off (although when I spoke to the guy at the garage apparently it still took a bar the length of a scaffold pole and a bit of elbow grease to get it off).