Home Jet Wash? Easier Cleaning? Karcher?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
ant_in_wales

Home Jet Wash? Easier Cleaning? Karcher?

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:44 am

Hi All

Thank you all for your replies about Road Rash (spraycan of paint, lacquer & clear film ordered) and DA Polishers (have ordered Autoglym Detailer & Facela mitt, Autoglum Polish & Gloss Protection).

This has led me to thinking about my general cleaning strategy once I've got the car looking nice.
I have learned of Snow Foam.
I have a water butt.
I am thinking about a Karcher.

Could a good rinse with the Karcher, then a go with snow foam, then another rinse, then Demon Shine, be an easy & quick weekly washing strategy?
Hose length from butt to washer is a concern - I don't want to be moving the Karcher about too much, it toppling over, etc.

Some well-priced units in here, aren't there?
https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/
Last edited by ant_in_wales on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY2016 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

Fighterpilot

Re: Home Jet Wash? Easier Cleaning? Karcher?

Post by Fighterpilot » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am

I will admit to using the snow foam as already mentioned in another post but it is a fiff faff of a job connecting everything up. However, that said, it does give the car a good effortless clean. Once done and you wait 10 mins for it to work you will need to power wash off. Then you will need to get that hardly visible film off with a standard wash (two bucket) DO NOT power wash the main muck off before the snow foam as it can hammer the fine grit particles along the paint and leave minor scratches. Once the wash is done dry with drying cloths. Others may have different ideas but I do it that way.
Around post 4/5 I gave a resume of my cleaning method viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9979
I assume that is what has prompted you to post this. Karcher are now the leader in power washers, it seems but make sure you have the foam bottle in the kit. I bought a TITAN from Screwfix, as it came out top in a review. I had to buy the foam bottle seperately. If you are using a water butt make sure you have it full ans they gobble up the water.
R Sport 180D 2015

Hammers

Post by Hammers » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 am

I never use my power washer on my cars. Prefer old school bucket and hose and get to see every bit of the car closely as I wash.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

Cabby

Post by Cabby » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 am

I only use snow foam if the car is really filthy. It does help to soften and remove a lot of the road debris before the contact wash.

A pressure washer is good to have and I do use it if I’m feeling a bit lazy. Gyeon Wetcoat is an easy and quick way to add protection using a pressure washer, especially to wheels. I’ve always used Nilfisk washers and found them to be reliable.
XE 250 R-Dynamic Black in Eiger Grey with Siena Tan interior, 19" Style 1050 alloys and a few toys
Gone, but not forgotten - XE 250 Portfolio in Corris Grey with Siena Tan

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 pm

Hammers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 am
I never use my power washer on my cars. Prefer old school bucket and hose and get to see every bit of the car closely as I wash.
+1
I bought the snow foam, the bottle, the lance and an extension hose for my Karcher thinking it was a good idea. Great fun to use but what a performance just to wash the car and the mess left behind by all the foam...grrr. Spent 10 minutes trying to get rid of it after. Came to the conclusion it's only for the dedicated. Went back to my so much easier and quicker method. Out with the expanding hose and get the car wet all over then use the "one bucket method" Bit of Menguirs shampoo in a bucket of warm water. Put on the knobbly glove thing, start at the top and work down. Hose off all the soap and dry it. Gleaming!!
2020 - MY19 2018 R-Sport 30T AWD, Firenza, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano Roof, Touch Pro Dual, 40/20/40 Folding Seats. Heated s/wheel

2016- 2020 MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

ant_in_wales

Post by ant_in_wales » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am

I assume that is what has prompted you to post this.
Indeed. You've been my guide so far, FighterPilot. I have a big order to collect from Halfords tomorrow.

But a pressure washer would be a lot of faff to store, plumb, electric and that.
I could imagine it if no sponge washing, but I'm sensing Snow Foam is an extra stage, not an easier wash stage.

Hmmm ...
MY2016 Prestige 163 Auto, Red with Oyster Interior

Fighterpilot

Post by Fighterpilot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am

Yes, it is a secondary use for my pressure washer as I use it mainly to clean my mass of fancy patterned concrete drive and pathways.
R Sport 180D 2015