Wheel Skip and Tyre Wear

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
FourFoot

Re: Wheel Skip and Tyre Wear

Post by FourFoot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 pm

MyXE wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:28 pm
I wonder what would happen if we adjusted ours to an even greater negative camber outside the allowances?
I might get my tyre guy to set it up how he thinks it should be - last time he changed my tyres he said the alignment is "very wrong" in his opinion, but as per the book.

I'm not sure what mine are at the moment, however, every time Jaguar checked it and when the independent did it, they all made adjustments. So either the car doesn't hold the adjustment, or there's disagreement between people as to what it should be.
XE Portfolio - 2.0D 180 auto - Meridian 825, plenty of accessories
F-Type 400 Sport Convertible Special Edition - supercharged 3.0 V6 400 auto - Meridian 770, climate pack, parking pack

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:28 am

[/quote]
I'm not sure what mine are at the moment, however, every time Jaguar checked it and when the independent did it, they all made adjustments. So either the car doesn't hold the adjustment, or there's disagreement between people as to what it should be.
[/quote]
I am wary of independant settings and part numbers as they can be massively wrong. An instance was my Rover 45 V6 where nearly all service parts in the independant shops were totally wrong. Wrong plugs, air filter, oil filter etc. So could the Jaguar settings be the most accurate? Most will let you see them set it up and explain what they are doing. They need lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position as the engine needs to be running. If they don't lock the steering with their clamp errors occur.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

FourFoot

Post by FourFoot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:28 am
I am wary of independant settings and part numbers as they can be massively wrong. An instance was my Rover 45 V6 where nearly all service parts in the independant shops were totally wrong. Wrong plugs, air filter, oil filter etc. So could the Jaguar settings be the most accurate?
Well Jaguar did the first check and adjustments after a week of ownership.
First pair of tyres wore out after about 8k miles, they fitted a new pair and adjusted alignment a second time.
Noticed the second pair were wearing unevenly after about 4k miles, jaguar adjusted the alignment a third time.
Second pair wore out after a further 3k miles (photo in previous post - only done 7k miles).
Had a third pair fitted and insisted the alignment was checked and adjusted by an independent at Jaguars expense, which they did. These have now done about 15k miles but want replacing soon.

So out of all of them, the independent's adjustments have been the most successful so far, but still isn't right as they're still wearing on the outside edge.
XE Portfolio - 2.0D 180 auto - Meridian 825, plenty of accessories
F-Type 400 Sport Convertible Special Edition - supercharged 3.0 V6 400 auto - Meridian 770, climate pack, parking pack

MyXE

Post by MyXE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 am

Have you got the figures Jag used and those of the Independant?
MY16 XE Prestige Diesel 180 Manual British Racing Green/Cream, Pan Roof, 40/20/40 Seats, Memory Seats, Folding Mirrors, Keyless Entry, Powered Boot, Privacy Glass, Space Saver Wheel, Rear Camera, Rear Blind.

muttz-nexus

Post by muttz-nexus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:49 pm

To jump back to the original post - can someone confirm what tyre skipping is?

I've noticed that when my XES (20" propellers) has been sitting and I drive away at full lock I get 1 or 2 thunks from the front end.
I suspected something wrong with the suspension, but now I'm wondering if this is 'tyre skipping'?

IIRC I didn't experience it last winter with my winters (complete swap to a different set of 20" propellers with Pirelli Sottozeros).
And to be honest it's been getting worse as the temp drops - maybe. I will be re-fitting my winters this weekend - so that may make the problem go away?

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Winter tyres are much more compliant and will scrub. The normal summer tyres are firmer and will tend to skip/hop at or near full lock at low speeds. The colder the tyre the firmer it is, which is why you might notice it more as winter draws in, if that is the cause.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm

There's a scientific name for it which escapes me at the moment.
But as Phil says it tends to appear in colder weather on full or near full lock especially with wider tyres.
Huge rows about it with the Mercedes GLC which seems particularly prone.
I had it on my previous XE on the odd occasion (It seems pretty mild on the XE though) also had it on my A45 AMG and on my Evoque.
Nothing to worry about.

EDIT: It's known as the "Ackermann Effect".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann ... g_geometry
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm

The Ackermann angle is the way a car turns and the inner wheel points more to the turn than the outer wheel as it travels less at this point. If that is a bit out it will cause a bit of skid on the outer wheel. Something that is hard to get 100% with different size wheel applications.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Vespa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm
The Ackermann angle is the way a car turns and the inner wheel points more to the turn than the outer wheel as it travels less at this point. If that is a bit out it will cause a bit of skid on the outer wheel. Something that is hard to get 100% with different size wheel applications.
I'm waiting for someone to say they have a heated garage or F1 style tyre warming blankets to negate the issue.
8-)
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

muttz-nexus

Post by muttz-nexus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Can confirm that changing to my winter wheels has eliminated the problem. I could feel the fronts scrubbing slightly as I turned on full lock, but didn't get the clunk I was experiencing before.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”