Wheel Skip and Tyre Wear

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
FourFoot

Re: Wheel Skip and Tyre Wear

Post by FourFoot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 pm

MyXE wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:28 pm
I wonder what would happen if we adjusted ours to an even greater negative camber outside the allowances?
I might get my tyre guy to set it up how he thinks it should be - last time he changed my tyres he said the alignment is "very wrong" in his opinion, but as per the book.

I'm not sure what mine are at the moment, however, every time Jaguar checked it and when the independent did it, they all made adjustments. So either the car doesn't hold the adjustment, or there's disagreement between people as to what it should be.
XE Portfolio - 2.0D 180 auto - Meridian 825, plenty of accessories
F-Type 400 Sport Convertible Special Edition - supercharged 3.0 V6 400 auto - Meridian 770, climate pack, parking pack

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:28 am

[/quote]
I'm not sure what mine are at the moment, however, every time Jaguar checked it and when the independent did it, they all made adjustments. So either the car doesn't hold the adjustment, or there's disagreement between people as to what it should be.
[/quote]
I am wary of independant settings and part numbers as they can be massively wrong. An instance was my Rover 45 V6 where nearly all service parts in the independant shops were totally wrong. Wrong plugs, air filter, oil filter etc. So could the Jaguar settings be the most accurate? Most will let you see them set it up and explain what they are doing. They need lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position as the engine needs to be running. If they don't lock the steering with their clamp errors occur.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

FourFoot

Post by FourFoot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:28 am
I am wary of independant settings and part numbers as they can be massively wrong. An instance was my Rover 45 V6 where nearly all service parts in the independant shops were totally wrong. Wrong plugs, air filter, oil filter etc. So could the Jaguar settings be the most accurate?
Well Jaguar did the first check and adjustments after a week of ownership.
First pair of tyres wore out after about 8k miles, they fitted a new pair and adjusted alignment a second time.
Noticed the second pair were wearing unevenly after about 4k miles, jaguar adjusted the alignment a third time.
Second pair wore out after a further 3k miles (photo in previous post - only done 7k miles).
Had a third pair fitted and insisted the alignment was checked and adjusted by an independent at Jaguars expense, which they did. These have now done about 15k miles but want replacing soon.

So out of all of them, the independent's adjustments have been the most successful so far, but still isn't right as they're still wearing on the outside edge.
XE Portfolio - 2.0D 180 auto - Meridian 825, plenty of accessories
F-Type 400 Sport Convertible Special Edition - supercharged 3.0 V6 400 auto - Meridian 770, climate pack, parking pack

MyXE

Post by MyXE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 am

Have you got the figures Jag used and those of the Independant?
MY16 XE Prestige Diesel 180 Manual British Racing Green/Cream, Pan Roof, 40/20/40 Seats, Memory Seats, Folding Mirrors, Keyless Entry, Powered Boot, Privacy Glass, Space Saver Wheel, Rear Camera, Rear Blind.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”