Rear brake disc and pad replacement 11k

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
DByers

Re: Rear brake disc and pad replacement 11k

Post by DByers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi All

Can only agree with Dan. Have a XE which has only completed 27K miles with tyres all in good condition. Report from Jaguar Dealer, whole vehicle was having ABS fault found, of 100% rear disc wear and 77% brake pads. Front Brake Discs have no wear and pads only 40%. Comparing to a 3 series and Audio always found front pads wear first. When Jaguar Dealer challenged advised vehicle was an automatic, rear wheel drive may have been in traffic . This is not normal!

richmond

Post by richmond » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 am

The XE and the XF, and probably all the range, have the rear brakes wearing out more rapidly because they do more work. The stability control system applies differential rear braking to assist when cornering at speed. If you drive with verve then that is what will happen. At least that is what I've been led to believe.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Summo29

Post by Summo29 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi, I have had a similar experience. My rear discs and pads had to be replaced after 11,000 miles at a significant cost to me >£300.
15 months and 7450 miles later I am informed by Halfords who have just undertaken the first MOT that the rear discs are worn already and whilst not dangerous will need to be kept under review.

There is something wrong here and I suspect that Jaguar know it but they are keeping quiet about it.

I think I will go to my dealer and confront them about it but it would be useful to have other peoples experience to back up my claim.

Cheers

Summo29

richmond

Post by richmond » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 am

Normal disks are designed to wear fairly quickly. If they were harder and more abrasive then the pads would wear away even quicker. You could try fitting pads and disks from a different source than Jaguar, such as https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs.html
John
Prev. 2011 XFS

Gemini

Post by Gemini » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Car XE 180hp In for 1st service 2 years old 15000m
Dealer call me advices rear pads need
Replacing one side 6mm other side 2mm

Questioned why uneven wear
Advised as low mileage at some stage
Pad /pins may have stuck and now all free

Told him that’s a mechanical issue with the
Car and that should be a warranty item further debaits they agree to strip and inspect the car on the agreement if nothing found I would have to pay

Left the car with them
Get a call following day and different
Engineer had worked on the car and advised that the pads are actually
5.5mm & 6mm not as previously advised

They have supposedly striped and cleaned
& greased the brakes all good and no cost to me
Which is what I expected 🙂

But with 2 Years or 21k service intervals
Dates , when the MOTs due next September dare say it will need new pads

Normally I would expect a set of pads to
Last on average 30k plus

Still not convinced that this is not a design
Issue from Jaguar ?

richmond

Post by richmond » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 am

Brake pads, disks, and callipers are not warranty items on any type of car as the wear depends so much on how they've been used and in what conditions. You seem to have had very good service from your dealer however. :o
John
Prev. 2011 XFS

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 am

richmond wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 am
Brake pads, disks, and callipers are not warranty items on any type of car as the wear depends so much on how they've been used and in what conditions. You seem to have had very good service from your dealer however. :o
Pads and discs, yes. Calipers and the rest of the assembly are definitely covered by warranty. If the design of the calipers and the slide pins means they are susceptible to corrosion which causes them to cease the dealer should be aware of this. This is especially the case on PDI's where the car has been sat about for a while when it is either new or second hand.

Gemini

Post by Gemini » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Agree with the way it’s used, but had other
Prestige cars and not had to replace the pads so early in it life normally expect 30k plus before pads replacement

Good point about the car siting around and the PDI. Car was pre registered 6 months old with 15miles on when I test drove it
Any one thinking of buying a pre Reg suggest
You get a full brake strip and clean
Before you accept the car 🙂

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”