Tyre Dilemna

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Pete321

Re: Tyre Dilemna

Post by Pete321 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:52 am

paulrxe wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 am
See my previous post Pete
Sorry Paul, missed your last post before I asked the question. That's pretty much as I thought. On various cars and different tyre makes and sizes, I always felt that Goodyear gave the best grip, with average wear, whereas Michelin give the best of both worlds, if not quite matching the Goodyears for grip.

Having said that, I think I'll go with some winter tyres from November, not cheap though for a decent set, but I'm considering these:
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/n ... #222244484
MY18 XE 2.0d 180 R Sport Black Edition

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 pm

I've had the run-around this week trying to source a replacement set of Pirelli Cinturato P7s for my R-Sport and no-one seems to keep stock. After finally getting an order in with Tyre Shopper today only for it to be cancelled :roll: I've decided to depart from OE and sent for a set of Bridgestone S001 instead. I've got these on my RX-8 at the moment and they're great, I'll report back after using them on the XE

spritely

Post by spritely » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Just curious Phil - how did the Bridgestone S001 tyres work out?
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 am

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me - they are very good. I have some experience of Bridgestone performance tyres but you can never be sure how different cars will take to any tyre regardless of how good they are on others, however they were actually better than I predicted.

I managed to get a set delivered the week after and fitted them just in time for a week-long road trip around Europe so had a good chance to get a feel for them. We did France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and then travelled back home from lake Como in one day. They handled a torrential downpour on the Autobahn perfectly but I particularly wanted them on for some alpine fun between Switzerland and Italy, and boy did they shine. Tearing up and down the Susten and Gotthard passes in perfect weather was pure driving nirvana :)

IMG_20180927_133259.jpg

If you're a driving enthusiast with an S or R-Sport I couldn't recommend them more highly. Stiffer sidewalled than the Cinturatos they give a much more focused drive and a lot more grip. They are not noticeably quieter or louder but slightly different sounding, and the ride is no more harsh either. This is where I thought they might suffer a little as Bridgestone carcasses are some of the sturdiest, but they suit the car very well. I suspect the compromise will be wear rate - I'm not too bothered about that as the Pirellis lasted a good 24k miles, which is double what I usually get from any RWD platform.

I will do a little review in a separate thread as they really do merit it.

aguycalleddb

Post by aguycalleddb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:16 am

I’ve got Michelin Pilot 4s’s on my 25t, had them on since the summer and they’re much better than the oe Dunlop’s
Dan

2016 XE 25t R-Sport
Amanite Grey|19" Black Venoms|Black Pack|Black Mirror Caps|Folding Mirrors|ITC Pro|Parking Pack|Cold Climate Pack

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”