Just had to replace all disks and pads

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
RalphieM

Re: Just had to replace all disks and pads

Post by RalphieM » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:30 pm

See my first post above, exactly the same as yours.
I really cannot see what the problem is with the OE set up but it obviously does not work.
I did no more than change the discs and pads for another, proprietary brand and no more problems.
MY18 Dark Sapphire R-Sport 250, Black Pack, Heated Screen, Heated Steering Wheel, Dual Screen ICT Pro, TFT Cluster, Meridian surround sound,19" Sparkle Silver 5071's, Ebony/Light Oyster, Adaptive & Configurable dynamics.

Pete McK

Post by Pete McK » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm

j3bnl wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Pete McK wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Mine had to be replaced at about 15,000 miles/2 years due to rot. The standard OE discs have no resistance to corrosion.
Yep sadly it’s a very common story.
Never seen a car with brakes this bad, they corrode like mad, Must be made out of recycled 1970’s Lancias and Alfa Romeos!
10, 20 and 30,000 miles is nothing on a set of discs.
The garage who changed my disc’s said they couldn’t remember ever seeing a set in so poor condition for the age and mileage, they were really that bad.
I know a Jaguar says these parts are deemed consumable but that’s just bull.

Only advice I would give anyone who has the same issue.
Don’t replace them with Jaguar discs, they’ll likely go the same way and they’ll try to relieve you of over £1200 for the privilege without blinking an eye.
I thought recycled Morris Marinas, but there we go!

Just a point, if it's under PCP/PCH etc. then it might actually be a requirement to fit genuine parts. Fortunately I still have one new spare set, might need them before my 4 years is up.
Pete.
'17 XE 180d, Caesium blue.

Buzby

Post by Buzby » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 pm

My front disks,pads and pad carriers were replaced under warranty,40 k and 2.5 years old.
My17,r sport 180,black pack,parking pack,black matrix alloys

j3bnl

Post by j3bnl » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:08 pm

Pete McK wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm
j3bnl wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Pete McK wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Mine had to be replaced at about 15,000 miles/2 years due to rot. The standard OE discs have no resistance to corrosion.
Yep sadly it’s a very common story.
Never seen a car with brakes this bad, they corrode like mad, Must be made out of recycled 1970’s Lancias and Alfa Romeos!
10, 20 and 30,000 miles is nothing on a set of discs.
The garage who changed my disc’s said they couldn’t remember ever seeing a set in so poor condition for the age and mileage, they were really that bad.
I know a Jaguar says these parts are deemed consumable but that’s just bull.

Only advice I would give anyone who has the same issue.
Don’t replace them with Jaguar discs, they’ll likely go the same way and they’ll try to relieve you of over £1200 for the privilege without blinking an eye.
I thought recycled Morris Marinas, but there we go!

Just a point, if it's under PCP/PCH etc. then it might actually be a requirement to fit genuine parts. Fortunately I still have one new spare set, might need them before my 4 years is up.
Not sure about that mate but if the manufacturer considers the parts as consumable then that simply won’t always be possible due to multiple reasons.
They can’t insist you replace tyres with certain brands so they’ll struggle legally to say you need to use Jag brake discs.
Fact remains the OEM ones are not up to the job and don’t last.
My car feel so much better now they’ve been changed.
R Sport AWD Ultimate Black
Cold Climate Pack
Parking Pack
Space Saver Spare Wheel

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:29 pm

Was browsing through the Approved Used looking for a possible replacement for my 240 that is now coming up to 3 years old and saw this one that caught my eye, for all the wrong reasons!

Obviously the new models still have the same problem. :(

Screenshot_20200112-211909_Auto Trader.jpg

MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

FairlyOldGit

Post by FairlyOldGit » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm

RalphieM
I decided to purchase OE quality discs and pads
could you tell us what you bought in case I need to replace mine in the future?

Richard
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

RalphieM

Post by RalphieM » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 am

Yes, no problem.
I fitted Apec but that was mainly because that is the OE equivalent brand that my employers sell.
The other reason is that the centre hub is painted black as OE.
There a few other brands available such as Brembo and Mtec etc.
At the end of the day virtually any OE EQUIVALENT BRAND is goint to be better than the crap discs Jaguar use.
MY18 Dark Sapphire R-Sport 250, Black Pack, Heated Screen, Heated Steering Wheel, Dual Screen ICT Pro, TFT Cluster, Meridian surround sound,19" Sparkle Silver 5071's, Ebony/Light Oyster, Adaptive & Configurable dynamics.

ChrisGB

Post by ChrisGB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:05 pm

I've used Apec on a number of cars including heavily tuned track day cars. Always been ok, no warping or cracking.
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

capecodjosh

Post by capecodjosh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:33 am

I have not had the rotor issue yet, but i do live in a salty close to ocean town in new england (cape cod) and will keep eye out.

Rotors are cheap unless you go say slotted, cryogenic treated,drilled,slotted/drilled etc. no need for me with a 2.0T engine @ 250HP to do anything but normal rotor. usually like 40$ per non oem. If that. On my truck that pulls a boat, i did put cryogenic slotted rotors. The jag brakes dandy as is and wont tow a boat! if you do get fancy rotors my preference is cryogenic frozen second, and cryogenic slotted first. drilled weakens rotors and it's overkill for most cars. looks great though.

i used EBC ultimax pads when did the rears last month, kept the original rotors as no need to replace them.

my rear pads went at 24K miles or so, the dealer said 99% worn. neglected to say the inside pads were 1% worn. make sure you check this! torque vectoring plays no part in uneven wear on the same axle (rears). presumably it does have some impact on rears wearing faster than fronts have been told.

jag rear pad.jpg

2018 XE 2.0L