Jaguar XE Forum banner

Anyone run the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres yet?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  First Jag-g-g 
#1 ·
I checked out the forum and did a search of tyres. The forum has a lot of fans for the Michelin family of high performance Summer Tyres but I am looking for all-season better replacements for my JLR Factory Installed Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tyres on my XE.

While I could always do the summer/winter tyre swap thing, I am not looking to plunk down major money for a duplicative exact match set of 19-inch Jaguar OEM black rims plus another set of high performance tyres. Since I have a 4WD Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in my stable, I'd use that on heavy snow fall days if I HAD to drive somewhere versus taking out my XE. Thus, all seasons are my choice. All-season performance handling including wet/light snow (1-3inches max) with good tyre manufacturing requiring minimal balancing and low road noise are all key. With that said, given I have the mixed 225/40 R19 Front and 255/35 R19 Rear setup on my MY19 30t R-Sport, my all-season performance choices are somewhat limited.

I checked out the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ All-Season tyres which everyone says handle great with added great wet and snow ratings too BUT too many folks also said these were heavy road noise tyres that got worse as they aged.

Has anyone tried the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres https://continentaltire.com/tires/extremecontact-dws06-plus on their XE yet? These are supposedly better than the last generation Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tyres.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, as fate would have it, I just nailed a nasty new unexpected pot hole with my right front tire doing 30-35MPH today. A heavy hit that had me cringe :-( I was able to make it home and checked out the damage in my garage. As far as I can tell the rim wasn't damaged but my OEM Pirelli Cinturato P7 showed a significant side wall bulge (see the attached pic).

I was planning on replacing my Pirellis in the Fall when my P7s would have had 33,000-35,000 miles on them but given there are zero 225/40R19 P7s, except for P7 run-flats, in stock here in the northeast US (could still be COVID influenced Italy imported supply shortages) my choice to buy new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres now versus later was made for me. While the rear 255/35R19s were in stock, the front 225/40R19s had to come from the corporate Continental US warehouse. My tyre guy hopes to have them not later than Monday for mounting and installation.

I'll check out my rim when he pulls off the damaged tire. Hopefully the rim is OK (or at least no crack so any damage can be fixed without replaced the rim) since it looks like the tire took the brunt of the pot hole hit. I am assuming the suspension will be OK if the rim is OK, especially if Jaguar is supposed to withstand a 45MPH curb hit similar to Land Rovers. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Once I'm riding on my new Continentals, I'll provide further feedback. Now writing emails to the local County and Town Road Departments about that nasty pot hole!

Attachments

#3 ·
Funny that the Pirellis aren't in stock where you live, as I just fitted two Pirelli P Zeros on the front last week as the Dunlop SPort Max originals had bad shoulder cracking which meant they failed our mandatory roadworthiness test yet still had good tread on them. So I decided to fit a different make and the Pirellis arrived overnight at the dealer who fitted them. They have a much bigger kerbing shoulder than the Dunlops, thank goodness ! Rear Dunlps still have plenty of tread so will probably last another year maybe more.

#4 ·
I replaced all 4 Pirellis on my car for various reasons two years ago and yesterday "bulled up" the tyres with Meguiars tyre gel. There is no cracking showing on them. The originals had some sidewall fine cracks and some tread edge cracking. Those were 5 years old according to the info on the sidewall. It is recommended that tyres be changed at 3mm or 6 years. I just wonder if the compounds used are getting goosed around 5 years. When the time comes I will possibly go for an all season tyre. That is if I still have the car. I have a brand new 4WD E Pace on loan today and can't quite get used to how high up it seems, from the XE. Just for interest I regularly report potholes to various councils etc and find some sort it out within days and others ignore it. I shamed Clwyd council into fixing a full carpark of potholes, after pointing out that the A55 roundabout for Conwy didn't need a new foot path to nowhere.

#5 ·
Our main access B road has had a huge and deep pothole around a drain for at least the last 6 months. Council action took place about 3 months ago - which was to cone the offending area off and put up one lane working with traffic lights. The Council seems to regard this a "fixing" the problem, as there has been no further action for the last 3 months.

#7 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
Well, as fate would have it, I just nailed a nasty new unexpected pot hole with my right front tire doing 30-35MPH today.

my choice to buy new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tyres now versus later was made for me. While the rear 255/35R19s were in stock, the front 225/40R19s had to come from the corporate Continental US warehouse. My tyre guy hopes to have them not later than Monday for mounting and installation.

Once I'm riding on my new Continentals, I'll provide further feedback.
Follow up:
(-) The State Government Department of Transportation fixed the deep pot hole (but no acknowledgement of responsibility due to lack of road maintenance)
(-) All four tyres (including front and rear passenger Pirellis which suffered damage with side bulges) replaced with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus
(-) Front passenger rim fixed to circular true by Dealer
(-) No damage to rear rim nor suspension etc (yay!)
(-) Re-alignment by Dealer to ensure return to factory alignment spec
(-) US$1,600. out of pocket (ouch! enough to be painful but not enough to make a claim against insurance and then subsequent rise in rates with a record of "accident" against my vehicle)

How are my new Continentals vs my old Pirellis? They are awesome! I won't say how I tested them on dry pavement but let's just say, when combined with AWD, they held like glue to the road as their name implies - EXTREME CONTACT :)

We haven't had rain in the last two weeks so no feedback on Wet Performance yet ...

#8 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
First Jag-g-g said:
Once I'm riding on my new Continentals, I'll provide further feedback.
Follow up:
How are my new Continentals vs my old Pirellis? They are awesome! I won't say how I tested them on dry pavement but let's just say, when combined with AWD, they held like glue to the road as their name implies - EXTREME CONTACT :)

We haven't had rain in the last two weeks so no feedback on Wet Performance yet ...
Second Follow up after two months and 1,500 miles of driving:
My Continentals handle extremely well on both Dry and Wet pavement. With that said, they are noisier than I would like. I guess the "PLUS" modification to Continental's original ExtremeContact DWS06 tyre formulation gives it more longevity and less rolling resistance but at the expense of added road noise. Am I unhappy enough to try something else? No, but I will be hoping Michelin eventually has their Ultra-Performance All-Season in my 19-inch rim sizes when I undoubtedly start looking at new tyres again 2-3 years from now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.