Jaguar XE Forum banner

New tyre option

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  3381 
#1 ·
Browsing through the Goodyear catalogue earlier, I notice that they now do the Eagle F1 Supersport in the 19" 225 / 255 sizes. Another option to consider when making the tyre choice.

#2 ·
Thanks for the expanded choice opportunity. Not a fan of Goodyear which over four decades of off-and-on use across multiple performance vehicles has several times almost put me into the guardrail with no notice, especially if the roads are slightly wet. While compounds and tyre designs continually evolve so you can't judge this generation of tyre of a certain brand by previous performance in prior generations of the same brand, I can firmly say no more Goodyear for me since they either grip tremendously or let go right NOW without sufficient warning, lol. I am a strong fan of Michelin as well as high end Continental in the All-Season category. If doing the summer ride vs winter ride tyre/rim swap, I'd have a potentially different opinion. To each their own, matched to their own driving style and wallet :)

#3 ·
First Jag-g-g said:
Thanks for the expanded choice opportunity. Not a fan of Goodyear which over four decades of off-and-on use across multiple performance vehicles has several times almost put me into the guardrail with no notice, especially if the roads are slightly wet. While compounds and tyre designs continually evolve so you can't judge this generation of tyre of a certain brand by previous performance in prior generations of the same brand, I can firmly say no more Goodyear for me since they either grip tremendously or let go right NOW without sufficient warning, lol. I am a strong fan of Michelin as well as high end Continental in the All-Season category. If doing the summer ride vs winter ride tyre/rim swap, I'd have a potentially different opinion. To each their own, matched to their own driving style and wallet :)
I wonder if it is a location thing. Here, the Goodyear tyres do pretty well. We have the F1 Asymmetric series, the F1 before that. I've not driven on Asymmetric 5, but have on the Asymmetric 3 and they seemed good. I've also had Goodyear Excellence and Efficient Grip, both of which were progressive at the limit. The only bad Goodyear I have ever experienced was the Goodyear RSA which had no grip wet or dry, was harsh and noisy, squealed at the merest hint of cornering force and felt vague with no feedback. They were OE fitment on the Mk1 Chrysler Neon, a car that was transformed into being really very good by fitting some decent tyres.

I'm considering Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but some testers reckon them less progressive than the Asymmetric 5. Such a subjective thing tyres. It's nice to have another option though.

#4 ·
The thing about tyres is that the same tyre on different cars can be like chalk and cheese. Continental Premium Contact 6 seem to rate highly in many write ups and Michelin Cross Climate + ( all season) are good. I have replaced mine with the same Pirellis as it left the factory as I find them OK. There again I am not an "enthusiastic" driver ie I drive the car normally and not as on a race track :D

#5 ·
My two cars prior to the Jaguars had Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres and I had no issues with those at all. Bearing in mind I live in a remote part of the country, with mainly single carriageway twisty NSL roads, which I do like to stick to the limit on.

Having said that, I do use a dedicated winter set but I'm still happy with the original Dunlops!

#6 ·
Fighterpilot said:
The thing about tyres is that the same tyre on different cars can be like chalk and cheese. Continental Premium Contact 6 seem to rate highly in many write ups and Michelin Cross Climate + ( all season) are good. I have replaced mine with the same Pirellis as it left the factory as I find them OK. There again I am not an "enthusiastic" driver ie I drive the car normally and not as on a race track :D
This is the crux with tyre choice, cars load the tyres differently and present different camber and geometry behaviour under various inputs.

#7 ·
ChrisGB said:
First Jag-g-g said:
I wonder if it is a location thing. Here, the Goodyear tyres do pretty well. We have the F1 Asymmetric series, the F1 before that. I've not driven on Asymmetric 5, but have on the Asymmetric 3 and they seemed good. I've also had Goodyear Excellence and Efficient Grip, both of which were progressive at the limit. The only bad Goodyear I have ever experienced was the Goodyear RSA which had no grip wet or dry, was harsh and noisy, squealed at the merest hint of cornering force and felt vague with no feedback. They were OE fitment on the Mk1 Chrysler Neon, a car that was transformed into being really very good by fitting some decent tyres.

I'm considering Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but some testers reckon them less progressive than the Asymmetric 5. Such a subjective thing tyres. It's nice to have another option though.
I have F1 Asymmetrics on my XE, (3's on front, 5's on rear) have driven in snow, ice, dry and v wet conditions and the tyres have been confidence inspiring. Smooth drive, fairly quiet and really grippy. Was after PS4s but couldn't source the fronts at the time so plumped for the GY Eagles. Pleased I did, especially as all 4 cost £516 fitted 🙂

#8 ·
PusserH said:
ChrisGB said:
First Jag-g-g said:

I have F1 Asymmetrics on my XE, (3's on front, 5's on rear) have driven in snow, ice, dry and v wet conditions and the tyres have been confidence inspiring. Smooth drive, fairly quiet and really grippy. Was after PS4s but couldn't source the fronts at the time so plumped for the GY Eagles. Pleased I did, especially as all 4 cost £516 fitted 🙂
When you say fairly quiet, are they as quiet as the Dunlops?

#9 ·
ChrisGB said:
PusserH said:
ChrisGB said:

When you say fairly quiet, are they as quiet as the Dunlops? I suppose the new tread vs worn tread makes a difference as well.
Slightly quieter than the original Dunlop's which they replaced IMO.

#10 ·
Regarding sound/noise from tyres, new tyres will always seem quieter than those they are replacing for several reasons. First the decibel rating as new will be in the range of around 68-73 Dcb. Also the tread is new, so 7-8mm in depth and very pliable compared with a used 4-5 yo tyre. Factor in the hardening of the old tyre, which will increase noise and nearly all new tyres will sound quieter. Once the human lughole (ear) has listened to it a few times the quiet effect becomes less.

#11 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Regarding sound/noise from tyres, new tyres will always seem quieter than those they are replacing for several reasons. First the decibel rating as new will be in the range of around 68-73 Dcb. Also the tread is new, so 7-8mm in depth and very pliable compared with a used 4-5 yo tyre. Factor in the hardening of the old tyre, which will increase noise and nearly all new tyres will sound quieter. Once the human lughole (ear) has listened to it a few times the quiet effect becomes less.
Yes to all of this, particularly the psychoacoustic factor is a really big factor in the subjective noise levels. A conspicuously noisy tyre will still be apparent though, particularly if it sounds louder than the ones that have been replaced.

#12 ·
Yes, that is correct. It is better looking at the makers Db level as some are 67 and others 72 or 74. Factor that also into what you want, grip and economy, wet performance and braking. The sad thing is tyres are not just tyres to some cars so it is important to take in what others say about a specific make and type. I once bought a set for car and didn't notice that they were not "extra load". That was a big mistake. :oops:

#13 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Yes, that is correct. It is better looking at the makers Db level as some are 67 and others 72 or 74. Factor that also into what you want, grip and economy, wet performance and braking. The sad thing is tyres are not just tyres to some cars so it is important to take in what others say about a specific make and type. I once bought a set for car and didn't notice that they were not "extra load". That was a big mistake. :oops:
With tyre noise, the numbers on the labelling do not necessarily reflect perceived noise in the car. The noise rating is drive by sound level. The noise transmission into the car will depend on transmission through the air and transmission up the sidewalls and through the suspension components. How this is perceived in the car is dependent on the spread of frequencies involved and how they interact with the car. The Dunlops in Jag spec have a very low pass by noise rating, hence my interest in the noise level.

I'm a bit of a tyre geek, so getting the wrong size or load rating would be embarrassing for me!

Some cars are also more tyre sensitive than others. I've found cars that run more camber can have traction issues with tyres that have stiff sidewalls for example.

Only way to know for sure is to fit a set!

#14 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Agree, I thought I had made a similar comment in my last post but obviously suffered from a senior moment as I must have posted before including it 🙈

#16 ·
The tyres on my XE were Dunlop Sport Max when I bought the car on 10k miles so I think they are the originals. These showed cracking of the tread blocks on the outside of the tread, but were perfectly OK up to Tuesday when it went into the local main agent for its 2-yearly service and for MOT with mileage at 31k and more than 4 mm of tread left on the tyres. I have a service plan with them. MOT failed on the front off-side tyre - "cracks showing the tyre belt" So I decided to replace the front pair as I don't like just putting on a single new tyre. I was reluctant to put on another pair of the Dunlops, so they've fitted a pair of Pirelli P Zeros at quite a reasonably price. A short drive around afterwards showed everything OK, but I read that these tyres wear quickly, Anyway, I'll see how I get on with them. The rear Dunlops will probably need replacing next year some time so the wear on the fronts will inform my decision then. I have had Pirellis on a Jaguar before and didn't notice them wearing particularly fast. I am not one for cornering on two wheels and doing burnouts !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.