Jaguar XE Forum banner

New discs & pads - Is this expensive?

8K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Tommy23 
#1 ·
Had the XE-S 4th service yesterday at my main dealer and it was recommended to change the rear pads (at 5mm) and discs.

They quoted rear brake pads £319.80, rear discs £321.91= £641.71 :roll:

I've no idea, is that expensive?

I'm happy to go to an independant but I feel more comfortable with original manufacturers parts and fitting if there's not much in it.

#27 ·
chrisjp said:
Interestingly, I noted that the front caliper carrier in the first video had FoMoCo moulded into it.
This name has always been used by Ford for all their parts, so the earlier XEs must have had other Ford parts in them, as well as the engines
Well, they were owned by Ford prior to Tata so probably had a warehouse full of parts to get rid of

#30 ·
Ouch!!

I fitted a set of "cheap" Apec pads to the front yesterday and I'm steadily upping the speed/duration of braking runs. At this point I'm happy that these pads are doing what I intended them to - smoothing and cleaning the discs. I'll run them for a couple of weeks, then replace them with another Apec set, give that set 2-3 weeks then fit OEM pads. I can already see the front wheels getting dirty!

Off to buy a set for the rears now :)

#31 ·
Fighterpilot said:
That is what not to do. The front hubs were filthy when the disc was fitted, Red paint all over his mitts and other areas (slapdash). This is a job that needs to be clean. No check for runout which is critical. To leave a broken off fixing bolt is slap dash work. No attention or mention of squeal shims or saying that they are built into the pads. No lube on the carrier pins (correct lube only). The caliper piston should be supported and not left to dangle on the hose. No mention of the excess brake fluid coming back up the system when the pistons are pushed back. This will make the master cylinder (MC) overflow brake fluid onto the paintwork arond the MC and damage the paintwork. The only thing in the video is the parts are the XE and specific basics (very basic too) He also didn't bother to use the correct tools for the job some of the time.This video I quickly found is of an unknown car but a much better effort from PAGID.
crikey! :shock: thanks for the 'what not to do', yeah, think I'll pass on trying to do it myself... :lol:

#32 ·
Crewe Jaguar are selling genuine rear pads for £95 on ebay. Your dealers quote of £300 seems excessive in the least.
Andy

#34 ·
Crewe Jaguar is my local dealer, and only a mile up the road. I have found them to be excellent in all respects since they did a few jobs on my previous XJ6 Sovereign (X350 model). I bought my XE from them, and only last week took out another service plan. They are part of the family-owned Swansway Group who have a number of dealer ships in the North West.

#35 ·
Hello, i know that it is still the same thing. But i have to buy new brake on my XE S. Now i have 60 000 km and the rear pads are KO. The front has about 40% but i dont know what buy. Classic Brembo disc and redstuff pads? I would like to some ceramic pads, because the OEM must be too, they are no dust. Please give me advice. Thank you so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.