Jaguar XE Forum banner

Puncture

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Gojira 
#1 ·
I suffered a puncture today when I was around 130 miles from home on a late Sunday afternoon in SW Scotland. I was (luckily) pulling into a parking place when the warning of low tyre pressure came up on the dash - and, getting out of the car, the tyre deflated as I watched it. Quite a significant puncture apparently then.
I was very glad to have a space saver spare tyre on board, soon got that fitted and it got me home the 130 miles without incident - though I took it easy at around 50 to 55mph maximum. At that speed, at least, I noticed no difference in handling of the car with the skinny space saver fitted to the front.
That was much better than waiting around for recovery and probably ending up spending the night away from home.
Examination of the errant tyre does however show no obvious puncturing object (I was expecting to see a nail or screw embedded in the tyre) and I just can't see where the air is escaping. I'll have to get it to a tyre dealer tomorrow who'll probably need to do a water bath test to see where the air is escaping.

#3 ·
I agree completely, but what is worrying is that a number of new cars (not Jaguars thank goodness) are now being offered without even the option of a spare wheel. I suspect that these won't have space anywhere to store even a space saver wheel

#4 ·
I used to say the same and my old XE had a space saver but never used it. My F-Type also I bought with a space saver which seemed like a good idea at the time. But when I finally got around to looking at it when I got it home I removed the space saver and bought a repair kit. The problem being in the convertible the space saver fits but my 20" wheels have no hope of fitting if I take one off so a complete waste of time. Will either be a repair or a tow. But the space saver at home means if I do a repair I don't have to accept the first garage I go to in order to get the tyre fixed.

#5 ·
Back in the dark days of driving a diesel Vectra, I managed to clip a granite sett kerb, avoiding an idiot in a suburban assault vehicle... :eek:

Fortunately, there was a space-saver spare in the boot, to replace the front tyre with a 2-inch split from the razor-sharp kerb.

No way would I have a motor without one!

#6 ·
Another vote for always having a spare here. I had to use one up in the lakes after suffering a sidewall split from a sharp piece of rock in the road. Sometimes the puncture is not visible because whatever pierced the tyre came out again. I had a 3/4" cut in a tyre once, was not visible as the cut followed a sipe. Soon tracked it down when the compressor was put on it mind!

#7 ·
My MY21 didn't come with a space saver, just the "Goo" and compressor. Until now I hadn't given it a second thought. Excuse my ignorance, but even if your car currently has 19" wheels (Black edition), the space saver is only 18"?

#8 ·
I converted my XE to a space saver when I bought the car. I have the little pump in the garage to pump up tyres if necessary; very useful.
The MB SLK 250D I bought late last year only has a blow-up kit, and there is no hope of a spare wheel, because the AdBlue tank is fitted in the spare wheel well !

#9 ·
Dai said:
My MY21 didn't come with a space saver, just the "Goo" and compressor. Until now I hadn't given it a second thought. Excuse my ignorance, but even if your car currently has 19" wheels (Black edition), the space saver is only 18"?
Different profile size, that's why.
Look at the label on the pillar behind drivers door, 20" tyres have smaller profile than the smaller wheels and 19" smaller than 18"
But the actual diameter is the same.

#10 ·
Well, I tracked down the leak this morning with the aid of some soapy water and a tyre pump to put some air back into the tyre. It's towards the side of the tread and is some kind of cut rather than a simple hole. I took it to my local tyre dealer who put a plug in it - from the inside of course. However, there is still perhaps some indication of a very slight leak - so the tyre dealer didn't charge me anything.
I'm reviewing options but I think I'll replace the tyre with an identical new one - I won't be happy driving with a suspected leak no matter how slight. Since the other tyre on the same front axle has only 5000 miles on it, there won't be a significant mismatch between new and older tyres at the front.
The tyre dealer didn't have an identical replacement (and to his credit did not try to persuade me to fit something else they had in stock) but I can order one from Black Circles and get it delivered to the tyre dealer by Wednesday.

#12 ·
Faltwen said:
Dai said:
Different profile size, that's why.
Look at the label on the pillar behind drivers door, 20" tyres have smaller profile than the smaller wheels and 19" smaller than 18"
But the actual diameter is the same.
Thanks for the explanation. Like I said until now I hadn't given it a second thought. Can anyone recommend a place to buy a space saver online? I expect the dealers would add their "Dealers tax" if sourced from them?

#13 ·
Fighterpilot said:
You have to ask, "is my life worth just £120?" The answer is what you are planning a new tyre. I am very wary of repairs on tyres especially near sidewalls even if they are legal. Just me I suppose as I dump my tyres at 3mm as well.
Once upon a time everyone had a full tyre in the boot and everyone said who wants a space saver. The cost of having a whole new wheel just sitting in the boot got cut by more and more companies so that now a space saver is almost standard. I have a space saver but have ditched from my boot as it would be a waste to carry it. If I change the wheel what do I do with my 20" wheel? Yes driving an XE that was never even a thought but the F-Type has no room in the boot for a 20" wheel. So leave it by the side of the road? If I get a flat it is either going to be a dropped nail in which case repair will work, if it is a side I call Jaguar assistance and get the car picked up. Cheaper than ditching a 20" wheel.

#15 ·
Hammers said:
If I change the wheel what do I do with my 20" wheel? Yes driving an XE that was never even a thought but the F-Type has no room in the boot for a 20" wheel. So leave it by the side of the road? If I get a flat it is either going to be a dropped nail in which case repair will work, if it is a side I call Jaguar assistance and get the car picked up. Cheaper than ditching a 20" wheel.
Well, this is the XE forum so issues with your F-Type don't really apply here.
You could always kick your passenger out and put your 20" wheel on the passenger seat?
:D

#16 ·
PhilB said:
Hammers said:
If I change the wheel what do I do with my 20" wheel? Yes driving an XE that was never even a thought but the F-Type has no room in the boot for a 20" wheel. So leave it by the side of the road? If I get a flat it is either going to be a dropped nail in which case repair will work, if it is a side I call Jaguar assistance and get the car picked up. Cheaper than ditching a 20" wheel.
Well, this is the XE forum so issues with your F-Type don't really apply here.
You could always kick your passenger out and put your 20" wheel on the passenger seat?
:D
True and true 😂

It was just the point of repairing I was trying to address though.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought that the major breakdown corporations carried a spare you may use to get to a tire region and also you pay in line with a mile. Perhaps no longer as beneficial at 3 am when no wherein is open but as a minimum, you may get there and anticipate them to open. Here is a website where you can find the real-time location of your order if don’t believe it, just try and click on this (link removed)

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought that the major breakdown corporations carried a spare you may use to get to a tire region and also you pay in line with a mile. Perhaps no longer as beneficial at 3 am when no wherein is open but as a minimum, you may get there and anticipate them to open. Here is a website where you can find the real-time location of your order if don’t believe it, just try and click on this (link removed).
Do the breakdown services really carry spare wheels that will fit any car? With different numbers of wheel studs, stud spacings, sizes of brake disks etc they would have to carry numerous different wheels I think. Or do they check with you on the car you have before setting out and select the appropriate one from their stock?
As for fitting the punctured tyre and wheel into the car, my XE has 18" wheels and, once I'd fitted the spacesaver, the errant wheel fitted into the boot well OK - it was a bit taller than the spacesaver so the boot floor was pushed upwards but that was a minor inconvenience to put up with in return for the major convenience of getting me home 150 miles away instead of being stranded.
BTW the 45track link just led me to a "DHL Pars" tracking site for packages so doesn't seem to cover breakdown services carrying spare wheels.....

#19 · (Edited)
I, unfortunately, lived through this problem twice in the last year thanks to the poor State Government maintained roads here in the Northeast USA. Both were deep unavoidable pothole hits. The first caused a major side bubble on the front passenger side tyre with a rim that had to be fixed to circular true. The second resulted in a major sidewall slice that immediately caused the tyre to go flat and repeat rim damage to the same prior damaged rim :-( In both cases, I used my compact spare which matched/drove fine with my 19-inch rims at speeds kept consciously under 50 mph until I could get to my JLR Dealer to have the rim and tyres replaced. As previously stated by others, I would NEVER drive on a side wall damaged tyre even if supposedly repairable. Similarly, I'd always replace BOTH sides to ensure matched balanced safe driving. I can attest my 19-inch damaged tyre/rim fit in the boot of my XE while my compact spare was mounted on my car.

If you want feedback on my current set of new Continental tyres, search for my other related posts.

#20 ·
Gents, the post was obviously spam.
I have banned the poster and removed the link which was to a fake looking site for DHL tracking.
Please read previous posts carefully before making any reply to spot this sort of thing (which we get sometimes) and report it before someone gets caught out.

Thanks.

Reactions: Stephen
#23 ·
I reported it as possible spam as soon as I saw it but obviously not quick enough to stop Chrisjp clicking on it. Maybe I should have posted a warning message as well?

#22 ·
There's a lot of spam going around.
The one allegedly from the Royal Mail asking for payment to have a parcel delivered etc.
I cannot be on here 24/7 but I do try and get to any of these posts as soon as possible.
It's pretty obvious to most people in that it's normally a first post by the "member" on an older thread.
Waffle and a link.
NEVER open the link but report the post and I'll deal with it.

#24 ·
I had the report from you when I first logged in so dealt with it.
But it would be helpful for our more "switched on" members to post a warning which I can clean up later.
(y)

Reactions: stojan.jovic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.